Edirol FA-66

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Frank Haas
Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2490
RE: Edirol FA-66 2008/05/22 07:36:17 (permalink)
besides the fact that he "might" have created a gain-stagin-problem.. which.. he denies and somehow also proved..
the FA-66 doesn't have balanced line-inputs.. that's what he needs/wants.. he could use the unbalanced line inputs at the rear of his unit.. just to check if the signal would be ok.. he's probably afraid of getting unwanted noise through the unbalanced line-inputs of the rear-fa-66-inputs..
that's where the FA-101 is the more "pro"-card 'cause it has the balanced-trs-line-inputs on the rear.. (although I didn't check that yet, but I am pretty sure about this)
michael japan
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5252
RE: Edirol FA-66 2008/05/22 07:59:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Frank Haas

besides the fact that he "might" have created a gain-stagin-problem.. which.. he denies and somehow also proved..
the FA-66 doesn't have balanced line-inputs.. that's what he needs/wants.. he could use the unbalanced line inputs at the rear of his unit.. just to check if the signal would be ok.. he's probably afraid of getting unwanted noise through the unbalanced line-inputs of the rear-fa-66-inputs..
that's where the FA-101 is the more "pro"-card 'cause it has the balanced-trs-line-inputs on the rear.. (although I didn't check that yet, but I am pretty sure about this)

yes, I've only used it in a scratch pad situation and I do recall now one of my trainees trying to put my 414 through The Brick straight into the back of the unit and after wasting 45 minutes of the clients time (very very close friend of mine thank God) the results were undesirable. So, if I suggested to use the back, I could be off!!!!! The main thing I know is that going through 2 pre-amps of this quality would be a solution I would shy away from.

Good to hear from you Frank

Windows 10/64 bit/i7-6560U/SSD/16GB RAM/Cakelab/Sonar Platinum/Pro Tools/Studio 1/Studio 192/DP88/MOTU AVB/Grace M101/AKG Various/Blue Woodpecker/SM81x2/Yamaha C1L Grand Piano/CLP545/MOX88/MOTIF XS Rack Rack/MX61/Korg CX3/Karma/Scarbee EP88s/ Ivory/Ravenscroft Piano/JBL4410/NS10m/Auratones/Omnisphere/Play Composers Selection/Waves/Komplete Kontrol
xavier onassis
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 188
RE: Edirol FA-66 2008/05/22 08:13:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

I use dthat card for a long time, the 2 front pre amps are for line and mic inputs. Why not try this, record without using the Rane pre asmp and see what you get. The results will tell you alllot and you need to start canceling things out, if the wave form is normal without the rane, then you know its the rane. If its the same, then change the mic. Keep doing this till you figure it out.
CJ

It for sure will work without the Rane, but how does that prove that it is the Rane's fault? The Rane is clean going into the mixer. I would think that it would be because he is using multiple pre-amps.

People who are raised in meager circumstances and have to work for everything they acquire end up with much more than those to whom it is handed on a silver platter.
We grow strong in our struggles.

alkie
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2706
RE: Edirol FA-66 2008/05/22 11:39:03 (permalink)
glad scott was able to shed some light on your problem it`s funny how just realizing little tiny things can change the whole story in some cases.

Whoa.... to you ...oh...earth and sea...
for the devil sends the beast with wrath.....
because he knows the time is short.....
let him who hath understanding.....
reckon the number of the beast.....
for it is a human number...
it`s number is.....

So if JESUS rose from the DEAD
Does that mean he`s the ORIGINAL ZOMBIE?
vidrazor
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 43
RE: Edirol FA-66 2008/05/23 00:44:01 (permalink)
>>besides the fact that he "might" have created a gain-stagin-problem.. which.. he denies and somehow also proved.. <<

I know it must look crazy to you guys, but you folks seem to forget that I'm dealing with a RIBBON mic here. That, coupled with the fact that, at 60dB, the Rane's gain is JUST enough to give me a signal without excessive noise, and you might start to understand those gain settings you see that I have posted here. That's why they're so high. I actually could use a LITTLE more gain(!), which the Rane CAN give me, but the noise starts ramping up pronto from that point on. However, plugging the Rane into the Behringer's balanced line inputs gave me exactly the signal I was expecting. I'm actually looking around for another preamp for the ribbons. I was looking at the Chameleon Labs 7602 when some really affordable Chinese Neve clone project thing caught my eye. Both have 80dB of gain.

The bottom line is that I figured out what my problem was. It's unfortunate the FA-66 doesn't have balanced line-ins, but oh well. In all honesty I'd consider the unbalanced line inputs on the back of the FA-66 if the Rane had a direct way of giving me unbalanced outputs, but it doesn't. The FA-66 is also a "scratch pad" unit for me, but I happened to get pretty involved in my "scratch" project and it started turning into a "project". I really should just bundle the whole thing up and port it but I'm kinda lazy with it.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1