Convert instrument level to line level?

Author
DerGeist
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 329
2008/05/20 08:24:58 (permalink)

Convert instrument level to line level?

Hi. Dumb question.

I just picked up a used Firepod and it seems to have solved my lack of input issues. It did introduce one problem of its own.

The Firepod has an FX loop which is only applied to inputs 1 and 2. The problem is that 1 and 2 are instrument level inputs. It seems strange to me that you wouldn't put the effects loop on line level inputs but, hey, maybe thats just me.

I want to loop my mixer back into the firepod so that I can use my Kaoss pad in the effects loop -- or at the very least use the FX loop for a hardwae synth. So, the instrument level inputs are a problem for me.

Is there a device out there that will step an instrument level input down to a line level input?

18 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Convert instrument level to line level? 2008/05/20 08:36:04 (permalink)
    Is there a device out there that will step an instrument level input down to a line level input?

I think you're confused, instrument level is the lowest level with line level being the highest (except for speaker level). In order of lowest to highest:

instrument (ie guitar, bass)
    microphone
    line level
    speaker

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    DerGeist
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 329
    RE: Convert instrument level to line level? 2008/05/20 08:50:00 (permalink)
    Confused is my normal state.

I may have things backwards but I think my problem remains. The manual says not to plug line level inputs in the the instrument level jacks (1 and 2). But this is exactly what I need to do. So, I think I still need to find some way to convert these instrument inputs in to line inputs.

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Convert instrument level to line level? 2008/05/20 09:14:51 (permalink)
    there's a bit of wiggle room here.

Give it a try and ride the gain... do not blow out the sound... you will not melt anything.

Originally effects loops were used on things like guitar amps to place the effects behind the first tube gain stage... the effects were usually foot pedals putting out something hotter than a instrument level but not a line level.

Frankly, if you're not using full pro gear... the line level is whimpy on most sumer gear... so set it up and work your gain structure until your happy.

You could get all heady and worry about impedance... but then you'd know to much and be in a perpetual bad mood. :-)

best,
    mike

edit: change "do blow out the sound" to "do not blow out the sound"
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2008/05/20 09:18:55
    Shadow of The Wind
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Convert instrument level to line level? 2008/05/21 11:07:11 (permalink)
    Hello,

instrument inputs accept similar levels as line or high level inputs. However, the input impedance is extremely high, e.g. 1 MOhm instead of 10 kOhm. The reason is that electric guitars have high source impedances. Thus, if you would connect the guitar to a standard line input, the level will be very low, since the low input impedance would almost short circuit the source. It will also change the frequency response quite a bit. (The high, comlex source impedance of an electric guitar also explains why different guitar cables sound differently.) Nevertheless, it should not hurt to feed a line level signal to the instrument input. It might be that you would have to face a somewhat higher noise level.
    Alternatively, you can use a standard input, which you can record directly. Then, you use the cue outputs of those channels to connect your effects. You would run the outputs of the effects into some other free inputs. Hence, you would still be able to record both, the original input and the signal with effects.

Wilko
    fep
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1186
    RE: Convert instrument level to line level? 2008/05/21 12:43:04 (permalink)
    line level to instrument level,

Go backwards thru a direct box. I do exactly that for reamping and it works like a charm.

Some of My Tunes

HS 6 XL, M-audio Delta 44, Digitech GNX3000, Dell Dimension 8400 Pentuim 4 3.4 Ghz, 2GB Ram
    skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    RE: Convert instrument level to line level? 2008/05/21 16:04:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: fep

line level to instrument level,

Go backwards thru a direct box. I do exactly that for reamping and it works like a charm.

I concur that this works with a passive direct box. And if you're driving the DI too hard, (distorting when it should be clean), pad the signal back a few db (before the direct box) until it sounds right.

In fact....the Radial passive direct box manual tells you how to do this.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    RE: Convert instrument level to line level? 2008/05/21 16:41:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Shadow of The Wind
    the input impedance is extremely high, e.g. 1 MOhm instead of 10 kOhm. The reason is that electric guitars have high source impedances. Thus, if you would connect the guitar to a standard line input, the level will be very low, since the low input impedance would almost short circuit the source. It will also change the frequency response quite a bit. (The high, comlex source impedance of an electric guitar also explains why different guitar cables sound differently.)

Hey shadow (or anyone who knows about this stuff), I recently found out that my guitar inputs have an impedance of only 107kOhm. Especially after reading what you wrote, that seems very low. Also, when my particular interface was reviewed in Sound on Sound, the guy wrote:

I suspect some guitarists would prefer a significantly higher input impedance than Mona's 107k(omega) to avoid loading some pickups.

So now I'm worried. What's all this "loading pickups" about? Does it pose a threat to my gear (guitar or interface), or does it also affect the sound quality in any way?
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Convert instrument level to line level? 2008/05/21 17:03:48 (permalink)
    the general thought is that too low an input impedance causes unexpected frequency response characteristics and a generally lower signal level because the voltage isn't "building" up.

best regards,
    mike
    Spaceduck
    RE: Convert instrument level to line level? 2008/05/21 20:15:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mike_mccue

the general thought is that too low an input impedance causes unexpected frequency response characteristics and a generally lower signal level because the voltage isn't "building" up.

best regards,
    mike

Interesting, well I guess I've gotta add a DI to my shopping list...
    Shadow of The Wind
    RE: Convert instrument level to line level? 2008/05/21 23:19:01 (permalink)
    Spaceduck,

how did you measure that value? On the website it says that the input impedance of the FP10 (formerly Firepod) was 1MOhm. If it was really just 100kOhm, you would, as Mike said, have a low input level, a different sound, and maybe an unusual behavior of the pots. But I would not see a reason for Presonus to ignore the standards.

Wilko
    Spaceduck
    RE: Convert instrument level to line level? 2008/05/22 07:40:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Shadow of The Wind
    how did you measure that value? On the website it says that the input impedance of the FP10 (formerly Firepod) was 1MOhm. If it was really just 100kOhm, you would, as Mike said, have a low input level, a different sound, and maybe an unusual behavior of the pots. But I would not see a reason for Presonus to ignore the standards.

Oops, I should have mentioned my interface isn't a Firepod, it's an Echo Mona. They published the impedance specs on their website, and I just happened to notice it the other day. I've never had any noticeable problems, but maybe I've never heard my "true" guitar sound yet. In any case, it sounds like a DI would solve my problem (as well as DerGeist's). Thanks for the info guys.
    Shadow of The Wind
    RE: Convert instrument level to line level? 2008/05/22 12:16:26 (permalink)
    Spaceduck,

I learned that the Mona has a guitar switch. Would you dare to open the interface? Depending on the input amplifier, one could simply change some input resistors. However, if the input amplifier (usually an Op-amp. or Instrumentation amplifier) has a bipolar input rather than a FET input, increasing the input resistor may not work. Bipolar input stages have better performance for low impedance inputs, while FET input stages are better for high impedance inputs.
    If you go for a DI box, bare in mind that passive DI boxes cannot add energy. This means, if they convert from high impedance to low impedance, they have to sacrifice some input voltage (level). Thus, a passive DI box may let you hear the sound you want etc., yet it would not solve a level issue, if there is one. An active DI box does not have that problem. (Well, most active DI boxes use microphone level on the balanced output, since many devices cannot handle the higher line level on the balanced inputs and since only the mic inputs support phantom power. The perfect solution would actually be a balanced line level output...)

Wilko
    Spaceduck
    RE: Convert instrument level to line level? 2008/05/22 12:36:46 (permalink)
    Hey Shadow, great info! I'm slowly getting a handle on all this. It's very tempting to open 'er up and tinker around in there beacause, in addition to this, I'd like to lower the mic preamp input impedance (it's currently set to 1.5kOhm which, I'm told, may cause sibilance problems). But I'd be treading dangerously into the realm of sheer ignorance which usually ends up in a bad way Also I suspect Echo must've had a reason for setting the impedances the way they did (though I can't imagine why), so maybe I should leave it alone.

Levels are not really a problem, so a passive DI might do the trick. But just out of curiosity, does anyone make an active DI with line level outputs like you've described?
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Convert instrument level to line level? 2008/05/22 15:36:00 (permalink)
    I wouldn't lower the mic input impedance until you read about Rupert Neve's opinions of Mic input impedance... he says the higher the better.

And in general, I agree.

Unless you're using an old ribbon mic.

best,
    mike
    Spaceduck
    RE: Convert instrument level to line level? 2008/05/22 16:13:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mike_mccue
    Rupert Neve's ... he says the higher the better.

"So shall it be written, so shall it be done."

Thanks for the tip, mike. Wow, I just checked the specs on the Portico mic preamp. Input impedance = 10kOhms. Further reading from a review in Sound on Sound: "...unusually high input impedance — 10k(omega), in fact — which minimises the microphone loading and is claimed to improve 'transparency.' "

That makes sense to me... so what's the deal with the other school of thought--those who say a lower mic input impedance is better? (Actually I think I read it here in the cakewalk forums).
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Convert instrument level to line level? 2008/05/22 18:16:41 (permalink)
    Honestly, a factual explaination is beyond my expertise.

But I do know that some mics, like Ribbons have such low output impedance and output levels that they really need the impedance bridge that they were designed for (and a true hi gain preamp) to work as intended.

I would enjoy it if some of the real serious techs that visit here could elaborate.

best regards,
    mike
    Shadow of The Wind
    RE: Convert instrument level to line level? 2008/05/22 23:03:04 (permalink)
    Spaceduck,

You have several options, and you may or may not explore them all.

- Maybe your guitar works well with the relatively low input impedance. Then, leave it as it is.

- If you have issues with noise or unusual sound, try a DI box. A passive one with a good transformer is one option. The other option is an active one. Many of those support phantom power, and some have adjustable gain and a second output. You can try what works better: high gain of the box, low gain of the interface or vice versa. It depends on which of the two amplifiers has the best noise ratio at what gain. I found some cute things like the Behringer GDI21 and the Ultrasound Ultra PDI. Unfortunately, the balanced output has mic level, and the line level output (TRS) is unbalanced... If the unbalanced calbe is short, it might be okay.
    If you perform live or if you want to listen to your favorite guitar amp while recording, I would get a DI box anyways.

- There are some 'guitar preamps' that would offer everything. They have balanced line level outputs and sometimes build-in filters or amp simulations. Some a really pricy.

Wilko

TakeFlight
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 109
    RE: Convert instrument level to line level? 2008/05/23 00:25:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DerGeist

The Firepod has an FX loop which is only applied to inputs 1 and 2. The problem is that 1 and 2 are instrument level inputs. It seems strange to me that you wouldn't put the effects loop on line level inputs but, hey, maybe thats just me.

Maybe this was already said and I missed it... The Firepod can accept line inputs for inputs 1 and 2 by using the inputs 1 and 2 on the back of the Firepod (not inputs 1 and 2 on the front).

Vertical Height
    website | soundclick
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1