Give and take, post and listen

Author
robby
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5819
2008/05/20 20:51:27 (permalink)

Give and take, post and listen

Everyone enjoys it when they post something, and people listen and comment. It's a GREAT feeling. And it's part of my evening, I REALLY enjoy it, even if it's not my particular style of music. I really enjoy coming to the songs forum, and listening to what people are posting, and giving opinions.

We can all benefit from that. I have benefited GREATLY from people listening to my music, and commenting with perspective that I simply do not have. People who listen to your music can provide you a different insight and many times, this can help you improve your art.

So I agree with what some others have said, it's good to post music, but it's equally good and fun, to listen and comment on what others have done. There is nothing more potentially humbling than to take “your creation” and put it out there for everyone to listen to and comment. It can be terrifying!

So I believe it’s very good to take the time to listen to your fellow artists, at least a few, and comment pro or con, and comment constructively. The people who put it all out there for us to see and hear need the feedback and we all appreciate and can learn from it.

It's really good to be heard, it's equally as good (IMO) to hear, and to comment. Just my 2 cents. Back to listening.

P.S., you may want to avoid comments about keyboards, unless you’re very clear on your meaning.

15 Replies Related Threads

mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: Give and take, post and listen 2008/05/20 21:04:54 (permalink)
    well said Robby!

this is prob the friendliest part of the forum. simply cos we all know how much blood sweat and tears goes into making a song, and so we are mere pussycats in our critiques, and i notice that of most people who post in the sonar forum, not many venture here, and post their own work!! YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE! so yes, thnks to everyone, to Larry and...well there'd be too many. THIS is the heartbeat of CW!!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Give and take, post and listen 2008/05/20 21:10:59 (permalink)
    I'll drink to that matey!!! There have been many on this forum who have helped shape my music and my mixes, and to that, I'm eternally grateful! Where else would I go to get constructive feed-back? I live in a small town, where musically, nothing much happens around these parts.... so, I enjoy coming here not only to post, but to listen to other's and leave them feedback as well. 99% of my music I listen to is here, on this forum. It's my 2nd home!

I also know there are many 'hit & runners'.. people who post, but really don't give back any input. I've also heard the "I only comment on what I like" phrase..that could backfire on you as well!

Thanks for posting this robby, and I'm sure many will agree with you on this subject.

Oh, and as far as your keyboard is concerned...I don't sweat the small stuff!
    post edited by lhansen - 2008/05/20 21:37:36

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    RE: Give and take, post and listen 2008/05/20 21:19:44 (permalink)
    Good points. I have received tremendous guidance and support from this forum on songs I've posted. But I get as much or more out of this forum listening to others' songs - I guess I feel it's a more equal comparison as opposed to comparing my recordings to professional CDs. I think in the past I used to get complacent and get to the point of "well it's pretty good for a home recording". Then I hear what my "peers" are doing on basically a level playing field equipment-wise and it challenges me to do better. There are also some incredibly inspiring performances and creative songs compared to listening to a lot of commercial recordings.
    post edited by dlogan - 2008/05/20 21:40:48
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Give and take, post and listen 2008/05/20 21:22:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: robby

Everyone enjoys it when they post something, and people listen and comment. It's a GREAT feeling. And it's part of my evening, I REALLY enjoy it, even if it's not my particular style of music. I really enjoy coming to the songs forum, and listening to what people are posting, and giving opinions.

We can all benefit from that. I have benefited GREATLY from people listening to my music, and commenting with perspective that I simply do not have. People who listen to your music can provide you a different insight and many times, this can help you improve your art.

So I agree with what some others have said, it's good to post music, but it's equally good and fun, to listen and comment on what others have done. There is nothing more potentially humbling than to take “your creation” and put it out there for everyone to listen to and comment. It can be terrifying!

So I believe it’s very good to take the time to listen to your fellow artists, at least a few, and comment pro or con, and comment constructively. The people who put it all out there for us to see and hear need the feedback and we all appreciate and can learn from it.

It's really good to be heard, it's equally as good (IMO) to hear, and to comment. Just my 2 cents. Back to listening.

P.S., you may want to avoid comments about keyboards, unless you’re very clear on your meaning.

Oo'er missus, does that mean my gigantic old Wurlitzer is to be confined to the basement?

I totally agree with the thrust you are making here.

RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Give and take, post and listen 2008/05/20 21:28:31 (permalink)
    Agreed, Robby.
    I haven't posted any new songs for a long time, but I enjoy dropping in and listening to what everybody is doing. I've heard some killer stuff here, and I think for the most part, the dialogue is constructive.
    I've gotten some great feedback, as to how to improve a particular song/mix, and it's nice when my own thoughts help someone else dial in their own mix.
    What's really cool is when a posted song turns into a spontaneous collab, and you get to watch it unfold. I've seen a few of those, and was fortunate to part of one a while back.
    Yes, sending your babies out into the wold is terrifying. Does everybody else pause, and take a deep breath before you hit that upload button?

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: Give and take, post and listen 2008/05/20 21:30:30 (permalink)
    "Oh, and as far as your keyboard is concerned...I don't sweat the small stuff! "

Now I don't care who you are THAT is funny right there! LOLOLOLOL! Thanks, laughter is the best medicine there is. I’m a firm believer in that!

And brevity is the soul of wit. Subtle humor simply cannot be beat. Too funny! hahahaha

And the Wurlitzer comment "priceless!"
    post edited by robby - 2008/05/20 21:51:49
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Give and take, post and listen 2008/05/20 22:14:31 (permalink)
    Yeah...it's a bit un-nerving to post a song for others to hear. But the only way you will ever improve your writing and mixing skills is to hear the feedback and learn from it. It is nice to hear the compliments but it is better to hear the honest and dead on critiques of the song, lyrics, and mixing. This forum is a great place to post because there are sooooo many knowledgable people here who have a good idea about what they are doing and are willing to share not only their opinions, but also their knowledge with others.

many times I will post about a song that I don't necessarrilly like but the music is either really good and deserves a good word or is in need of some good advice. I am guilty of setting back on many and not saying anything....well...momma said..."if you can't say anything good...don't say anything at all...." so rather than spreading bad karma...I keep quiet.....however..... don't assume that because I haven't posted on a song you posted that I think it's so bad that I won't comment.....I don't have the time to post on everything I want to.....I'll shut up now...and go to bed.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Give and take, post and listen 2008/05/21 13:49:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Jonbouy

ORIGINAL: robby

Oo'er missus, does that mean my gigantic old Wurlitzer is to be confined to the basement?

I totally agree with the thrust you are making here.

I can see you and Robby are gonna get on great (Jon is the blacksheep over at another place we belong Robby)

Sadly, I looked at my... er... keyboard and realized it was getting dusty, so I gave it a polish.

I agree with what you say here Robby. Not to ... er... toot my own horn ... but I try to listen and give the kind of feedback that I want for my own songs. There are times when I watch some poor guys song fall off the chart with almost no comments and it makes me sad.

Cheers
    Shad
    post edited by foxwolfen - 2008/05/21 14:13:53

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    DuRod
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1082
    RE: Give and take, post and listen 2008/05/21 20:03:00 (permalink)
    Right on Robby, couldn't agree with you more. Us guys need all the help and encouragement we can get............at least I know I do!!!!

Duane
    rolifer@verizon.net
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1676
    RE: Give and take, post and listen 2008/05/21 20:23:36 (permalink)
    I am a member of a number of forums and do not understand how anyone can post a piece and ask for comments without returning the favor.

In one forum, it is rare for anyone to say anything about anyone's music.

In another, they were just tearing each other apart when they finally did comment.

In yet another one, I went out of my way to get everyone there to support each other and the site as a whole got better.

If someone is too busy to listen to my music, but not to busy to ask for my opinion on theirs, then I become too busy myself. It takes a while to learn who will respond and who will not, but the only way to send the message to them, is to refuse to comment on their music.

I am going poor on this site with giving away all of my 2 cents worth thinking.

Ron
    cjlinus
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 446
    RE: Give and take, post and listen 2008/05/21 20:28:34 (permalink)
    OK for my 2 cents, I've put about 7 songs up for comment over that last year or so and have received a lot of help from you guys. I hope that you keep listening and recommending improvements even though I don't post very often. I do try and listen and comment as well but have to admit that I could do better both with frequency and quality.

When I was a kid we had to use Portastudios, uphill! both ways!!

Listen to my songs here
    tdye
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1926
    RE: Give and take, post and listen 2008/05/21 22:52:21 (permalink)
    Robby, I have learned plenty from this forum over the last year. Probably learned more listening to other's music and reading their comments, as I have from posting my own work for review. Great forum! I wish I had more time to listen and comment on other's work, as I am so thankful to all who contribute here. From my own experience I beleive by even commenting on the "hit and run" posts, others who visit the forum will benefit also. I haven't been on the boards much lately so I missed the keyboard comment. I guess I've got some catching up to do.

Tom
    http://www.soundclick.com/tomdye
    http://www.ourstage.com/profile/tomdye
    http://twitter.com/tom_dye

Dell Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 w/HyperThreading 3.2GHz, 3 GB Ram, Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
    Sonar 8 Producer Edition, Rapture, Project5
    MannyNY
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Give and take, post and listen 2008/05/21 23:43:58 (permalink)
    Over the last few years I have commented on some of the music I’ve heard here – generally only when something strikes in a way that is appealing to ME (no reflection on the song itself) . I am not very good with the recording process and I’m a mediocre musician, so I rarely comment on anything other than the song itself – lyrics and melody. If I am not moved by something, I generally say nothing – but I say nothing because my preferences are not important – what I believe is important is letting someone know when they have written a song that has touched you in some way.

If I do post something, I make a note of who listened and commented – I make a point of listening to their material as well – to me that is a common courtesy. I also get a feel for the opinion of the person that has commented. Listening and taking the time to comment is a wonderful thing – for some of us (like myself) it is the only feedback you may ever receive on your material. Post your material and listening and comment on others – it seems pretty basic - that is what I expected to find here and for the most part, I think that is what takes place.
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Give and take, post and listen 2008/05/22 09:31:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: foxwolfen

I can see you and Robby are gonna get on great (Jon is the blacksheep over at another place we belong Robby)

Sadly, I looked at my... er... keyboard and realized it was getting dusty, so I gave it a polish.

Cheers
    Shad

Shad, you've shattered my illusions, I thought I was a highly regarded and well-respected authority over there...

They gave me my own virtual Pub in my honour! ...

And Shad go easy on that polish, they say it can cause eyesight problems in later life...lol

Deludedly yours

Jon...
    hairyjamie
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 947
    RE: Give and take, post and listen 2008/05/22 11:13:57 (permalink)
    Adding to the debate, I have to agree that this forum is a smashing place to get some good and honest feedback on your work.

I've only posted a couple of tracks but have received some amazingly supportive feedback - I need to do the same and start commenting on other's work!
    post edited by hairyjamie - 2008/05/22 11:34:24
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1