Orchestral Gothic - NEW SONG

Author
spindlebox
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2645
2008/05/21 18:41:05 (permalink)

Orchestral Gothic - NEW SONG

FALLEN ANGEL

This one has been tough. Feedback needed please! I'm just about wrapping up this project; this is the 2nd to last I need to do. Your ears and opinions are appreciated!!!

MAIN PAGE:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=754355

DIRECT LINK:
http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=6565721&q=hi

Thank you!
Scott

17 Replies Related Threads

DuRod
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1082
    RE: Orchestral Gothic - NEW SONG 2008/05/21 19:38:26 (permalink)
    Hey Scott, you've melded these sounds together really well. Very good recording on the vocals; and a very good vocalist by the way. Really cool the way you brought in the deep, dark kick drum @ 3:00, fits the song perfect. I like it; the only thing I would even think about on this one would be to maybe pull that kick back a couple of db.

Duane
    foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Orchestral Gothic - NEW SONG 2008/05/21 20:03:22 (permalink)
    Outstanding. Really great song. Best yet from you. I think Duane is right about the kick.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    rolifer@verizon.net
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1676
    RE: Orchestral Gothic - NEW SONG 2008/05/21 20:17:25 (permalink)
    The only thing I can say has to do with the piano. It sounds muddy and way far away. It sounds like the top is down and it is in the other room. If that is the sound you are after then no worries. I can see that when the vocals are happening, but at the beginning, I would have a crisper piano. It might just be the sample as well. What piano is it?

As others have already mentioned the kick could be drawn back as well.

Hope that helps.

Ron

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Orchestral Gothic - NEW SONG 2008/05/21 20:26:23 (permalink)
    I love the sound of the drums when they come in... they have a huge stadium rock sound...massive... I agree they need to come down ....but in my opinion..not by to much maybe a db... this is a dark song and the drums & guitar sound righteous...!

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    spindlebox
    RE: Orchestral Gothic - NEW SONG 2008/05/21 21:03:35 (permalink)
    What piano is it?

It is the TTS-1 Piano (2nd from top) Piano 1 st. I changed it up to just the plain 'ol piano, and it sounds a little brighter. Any other suggestions? (Freeware please!)

I also kicked down the kick by about 3db.

I'm pretty stoked that this is all the changes you all hear! This has really been tough due to the dynamics.

Many thanks!!!! You're all SUCH a huge help!

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Orchestral Gothic - NEW SONG 2008/05/21 21:22:42 (permalink)
    This is the full shilling.

Pity you're in New England and not in the old version, the shows are gonna be great.

spindlebox
    RE: Orchestral Gothic - NEW SONG 2008/05/21 21:48:28 (permalink)
    This is the full shilling.

Pity you're in New England and not in the old version, the shows are gonna be great.

Thank you for the compliment! Actually, we most likely will be over at some point. Our manager is in Worcestershire and I've always dreamed of playing at the Camden Falcon (if it didn't get burned down a few months ago!!) I'll be happy if we actually sell some albums!

Cheers,
    Scott

Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: Orchestral Gothic - NEW SONG 2008/05/21 22:13:00 (permalink)
    Hey, this sounds good! I can't comment on the mix or anything, but it's great. Do you have the splendid piano sound font with the soundfont player? It's the one I use--it's free. Let me know if you need info about downloading it.
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Orchestral Gothic - NEW SONG 2008/05/21 22:26:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spindlebox

Thank you for the compliment! Actually, we most likely will be over at some point. Our manager is in Worcestershire and I've always dreamed of playing at the Camden Falcon (if it didn't get burned down a few months ago!!) I'll be happy if we actually sell some albums!

Cheers,
    Scott

Another dream shattered I'm afraid.

All the music went to the Camden Monarch (Barfly), which is where it's at now. I was lucky when I was playing there were plenty of venues here, they're all doing dance and karaoke (yikes) now.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Orchestral Gothic - NEW SONG 2008/05/21 22:53:27 (permalink)
    another good one from Alice Sweet Alice -

love the dynamics on this. nothing more to add that hasn't already been mentioned, Scott. nice work - keep it up!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    tdye
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1926
    RE: Orchestral Gothic - NEW SONG 2008/05/21 23:15:34 (permalink)
    Scott, I like. I'd narrow the lead @3:00 a little, just seemed too far back to me. Vox great, kick seems good. A better piano will improve mix. I took my wife shopping in Amarillo for Mother's day and stopped in Hastings Book store, picked up a copy of SOS. Very cool to see all the photos of you. I haven't got through the whole article yet, but was impressed with how long the article is and sooo many photos. Neat! Props man.

Tom
    http://www.soundclick.com/tomdye
    http://www.ourstage.com/profile/tomdye
    http://twitter.com/tom_dye

Dell Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 w/HyperThreading 3.2GHz, 3 GB Ram, Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
    Sonar 8 Producer Edition, Rapture, Project5
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: Orchestral Gothic - NEW SONG 2008/05/21 23:38:58 (permalink)
    The strings (low) seem to be overpowering the piano in the begining (but that could just be these ears). I would like to hear that beautiful piano melody just a bit more out in the mix. I do like the strings though.

The singer seems a bit pensive? She's not a bad singer, but I'd like to see her "with motivation". And I may touch her up a bit with Melodyne or VVocal if you don't have Melodyne in a couple of parts, not all over, but in a few places.

The sticato strings seem a bit abrupt and syncopated, but that's probaby what you're going for, but I would take them back a weence.

When the drums come in, they have so much more reverb than everything else, they don't feel right in the mix to me.

The lead guitar is WAY to far back and is too wet (IMO).

To me it has some good potential, but needs some polish :-)

Sorry, I don't want this to sound overly negative, these were my thoughts as I listened. But like I said, overall, I like the tune!
    rhynosynth
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 520
    RE: Orchestral Gothic - NEW SONG 2008/05/22 00:48:53 (permalink)
    Wow Scott. Great song. I like the vox a lot. The lead guitar is great and a nice fit for the song but does need to come up a little. I really like this kinda music. Are you doing any shows in New England anytime soon?

rhyno
    Lemonboy
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 679
    RE: Orchestral Gothic - NEW SONG 2008/05/22 06:28:22 (permalink)
    Hi Scott

I'm sharing some of Robby's views on this one. As a song and a demo it sounds great, as a finished article I would have slight reservations about the following:

The singer has a good voice but sounds like she hasn't quite nailed the tune enough to be really confident in her performance, it does get better when the drums come in.

I would reduce the reverb slightly on some of the parts

The stabby piano chords under the drums IMO don't sound in time and they could be more strident and hold the rhythm together better with a bit of tweaking

That's how I'm hearing it, but what do I know!

Andy

spindlebox
    RE: Orchestral Gothic - NEW SONG 2008/05/22 07:45:44 (permalink)
    OK, final tweaks will be the following:

I quantized the lead piano and changed the sound. The quantized piano took care of the timing issues. QUANTIZING ROCKS. I didnt' realize how much it was off until it was fixed! Hey, I like that humanized feel, and I knew some was a tad off, but sometimes you just gotta take a deep breath and do what's right.

The verb, that's sort of like S&P. Some will like it, some won't. I'll take another listen, but I'm not hearing anything out of character with the rest of the songs.

Her voice . . . . well, it's not perfect but are any of ours? I like Tom Waits' voice too. It's not unlistenable, and she feels good about it. What can I do?

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to all, especially Robby and Lemonboy. Those constructive critisizms are what I post here for; so no apologies necessary. There is so much going on, sometimes I can't hear everything (or anything) anymore. But I also have to realize that I'll never please anyone, except myself, so when I find something I like without glaring defects, and that I and the rest of ASA can live with, it'll be done.

Cheers to all!

spindlebox
    RE: Orchestral Gothic - NEW SONG 2008/05/22 07:52:26 (permalink)
    I haven't got through the whole article yet, but was impressed with how long the article is and sooo many photos. Neat! Props man.

LOL. It may be so long because he had quite a challenge to work with! I think a shorter article would mean a better mix! Do me a favor and at least listen to the new recording/mix that I did as a result of his article. (It's posted below this song in the same player.) I was initially put-off by his classification of a "DEMO", but now I know what he means, and you'll hear the huge difference. Night and day. You'll see what you get when you swallow your pride and listen to others more knowledgeable!!!

Hey, that's why I'm here now!!!

Scott, I like. I'd narrow the lead @3:00 a little, just seemed too far back to me.

The lead guitar too far back? I brought it up a "weence" borrowing a term from Robby.

alkie
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2706
    RE: Orchestral Gothic - NEW SONG 2008/05/22 13:35:39 (permalink)
    i love the level of the kick it adds secure presence to the song. And for freeware check out http://www.vstplanet.com/ and http://www.xelenio.com/vsti/

Whoa.... to you ...oh...earth and sea...
    for the devil sends the beast with wrath.....
    because he knows the time is short.....
    let him who hath understanding.....
    reckon the number of the beast.....
    for it is a human number...
    it`s number is.....

So if JESUS rose from the DEAD
    Does that mean he`s the ORIGINAL ZOMBIE?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1