How much can you squeeze out of a cheap guitar?

Author
Anubis
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1059
2008/05/22 00:56:43 (permalink)

How much can you squeeze out of a cheap guitar?

http://www.earsintl.com/DTP/coldjacked_excerpt.mp3
Hard-rockin' 12 bar blues outro. Drums = Addictive. Bass = SampleTank. Guitar = Amplitube 2. "Axe"...

X2Studio_Win7(64)_SamsungChronos_QuNexus_QuNeo_Axiom25_Saffire24Pro_Saffire6USB_EdirolPCR300_Nocturn
Amplitubes_AmpegSVX_StylusRMX_SampleTank/Tron_Komplete7_AddictiveDrums_TRacks3_Wavelab6
miTunes

17 Replies Related Threads

rolifer@verizon.net
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1676
    RE: How much can you squeeze out of a cheap guitar? 2008/05/22 01:08:23 (permalink)
    I thought if you played a Squier like that, it would run away and hide in fear of breaking.

Aren't they made out of plastic and bamboo?

But then I haven't played one in many years.

Sounds great to me!

Ron
    Anubis
    RE: How much can you squeeze out of a cheap guitar? 2008/05/22 01:22:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rolifer@verizon.net

I thought if you played a Squier like that, it would run away and hide in fear of breaking.

Aren't they made out of plastic and bamboo?

But then I haven't played one in many years.

Sounds great to me!

Ron

Body: Alder
    Neck: Maple, (Polyurethane Finish)
    Fingerboard: Maple

That butterscotch blonde, polyurethane finish did look suspicioulsy like plastic so I took the pickguard off to confirm that there is wood in there somewhere. The lead in the Chinese paint imparts a real "heavy" tone too.

X2Studio_Win7(64)_SamsungChronos_QuNexus_QuNeo_Axiom25_Saffire24Pro_Saffire6USB_EdirolPCR300_Nocturn
    Amplitubes_AmpegSVX_StylusRMX_SampleTank/Tron_Komplete7_AddictiveDrums_TRacks3_Wavelab6
    miTunes
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: How much can you squeeze out of a cheap guitar? 2008/05/22 08:57:21 (permalink)
    Sounds pretty good to me. With all the amps and processors around today...it's easy to use almost any guitar and get a reasonably good tone....or at least cover up the lack of tone.

Squire, Epiphone, and some of the other "cheap" guitars are not all that bad. I've played a few in the stores and they feel good, and sound good too...so why not use them!

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    hairyjamie
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 947
    RE: How much can you squeeze out of a cheap guitar? 2008/05/22 11:18:25 (permalink)
    Have to agree ...

ORIGINAL: Guitarhacker
    Sounds pretty good to me. With all the amps and processors around today...it's easy to use almost any guitar and get a reasonably good tone....or at least cover up the lack of tone.

Covering up the tone with the available processors/VSTs that are now available has never been so easy - I wish it was as easy to 'cover' up my technique!

ORIGINAL: Guitarhacker
    Squire, Epiphone, and some of the other "cheap" guitars are not all that bad. I've played a few in the stores and they feel good, and sound good too...so why not use them!

Absolutely, I've owned a couple of expensive guitars in my time but have had (too) many cheaper ones also - I sometimes gravitate back to the cheap ones because, in some cases, I've enjoyed playing them more!
    MannyNY
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: How much can you squeeze out of a cheap guitar? 2008/05/22 12:51:04 (permalink)
    Cool - have the same guitar and used it on all my recent tracks. Also put a b-bender on it... if you're interested in seeing how that was done, click the link ...

Manny and the B-Bender
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: How much can you squeeze out of a cheap guitar? 2008/05/22 14:54:59 (permalink)
    I drove past a yard sale one day and saw a guitar. So I turned around and took a look. It was a gnarley green color and it was some cheap foreign model in a case. The negotiated price I paid was $20. I took it to the gig and played it after restringing it with EBSS. It played OK...had a neck like a Fender. The pickups were unshielded single coils..and those babies hummed and squealed like piggies in trouble. I was able to turn it down and play OK. I kept it 2 weeks and sold it for $25 to the sound guy.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    tazman
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2435
    RE: How much can you squeeze out of a cheap guitar? 2008/05/22 15:17:08 (permalink)
    I thik the big difference between cheap and expensive guitars is electronics and quality of the neck. Cheaper guitars tend to have noisier pups with less shielding and usually the neck is not as smooth BUT when I bought my Les Paul a few years ago I went through 4 of them before I found one that was playable. And these are Made in USA Gibsons. One of them had a issues with the fingerboard, the other one had the neck glued in crooked and the last one had a crappy nut and finish issue.
    On the other hand I once played a Squire Strat that played like a dream. I think it's a matter of 7 out of 10 expensice guitar will be good vs 4 out of 10. But I do think if you have a large enough inventory to go through you will find great guitars even in among inexpensive ones. You can always replace the electronics.

Anymore everything is CNC'd anyway (fender, gibson, etc)
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: How much can you squeeze out of a cheap guitar? 2008/05/22 16:37:43 (permalink)
    Funniest example I saw of this recently was a guy I bought some stompbox off, he had sold off all his expensive guitars over time, and only had some Brand X Japanese '70s imitation Fender - that played like a dream, and he had done some work on it too. Just one of those one-offs.

Raised some eyebrows during concerts but when he plugged it into his very expensive Mesa and started playing, that shut everbody up. Also a good thing is you can probably forget it at a concert and pick it up a week later or so, noone wants to steal it.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    CreatingNoise
    • Total Posts : 1666
    RE: How much can you squeeze out of a cheap guitar? 2008/05/22 17:59:48 (permalink)
    That is the $169 model right? Cool post. I've been eyeing this guitar for awhile. I want a Tele bad and have considered this one. I haven't found a shop locally that has it so I could play it. I've played the $400 model a few times and like it, I would suspect the overall feel is not that much different. I bought a Squier Jazz Bass and am happy with that. This baby is really calling my name now! I can always change the pickups down the road if needed.
    Anubis
    RE: How much can you squeeze out of a cheap guitar? 2008/05/23 00:31:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CreatingNoise

That is the $169 model right?

Hey watch it fella, it retails for a full $269! I had a Squier Strat that I bought in '91 that I used to love to play the heck out of. Gave it away to a nephew. I think they were Mexican made back then. On the humbucking side my go to nowadays is a Korean PRS Santana that feels kinda in between an LP Custom and an SG. Meanwhile my vintage '78 Les Paul Custom gently weeps in it's (wooden) form-fit case/coffin.

Hey Manny, cool mod. I don't know if I'd have the nerve to drill though, even at $169.

miTunes
    CreatingNoise
    • Total Posts : 1666
    RE: How much can you squeeze out of a cheap guitar? 2008/05/23 10:05:23 (permalink)
    Manny,
    Just checked out that mod and Ride That Train. Nice work on both! That B bender sounds cool. I am definitely going to get me one of these Tele-lites. Where did you guys buy yours from? I will likely order one from Musicians Friend.
    tazman
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2435
    RE: How much can you squeeze out of a cheap guitar? 2008/05/23 10:48:58 (permalink)
    If you can, go and try one at a Guitar Center or something like that. When buying a guitar you should always play it first. Especially inexpensive ones. From MF you just never know what you are going to get.
    MannyNY
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: How much can you squeeze out of a cheap guitar? 2008/05/23 11:05:57 (permalink)
    Tony,

Got the Tele from Musician’s Friend (also got my fake Hofner from them – had no problems at all). The Tele’s frets were a little sharp around the ends so I filed them a bit. It’s also a little noisy (especially sitting in front of the PC as I do when recording), but I don’t care – it’s a great guitar for the money – I may go for new electronics on it.

After enjoying this $170 Tele so much I went out to get a more expensive Tele but when I got to Guitar Center, the Gretsch caught my eye (as seen in my sig). So, now I think I’ll just upgrade the Tele (I’m broke!).

I used the Tele on my last 5 recordings – it’s a nice basic guitar and a lot of fun to play.

B-Bender is fun but I really can’t get much out of it yet – I really need to practice.
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    RE: How much can you squeeze out of a cheap guitar? 2008/05/23 11:41:55 (permalink)
    Some of the Korean made guitars are better than a lot of the American made guitars - They have been making guitars for a long time now and have become very good at it. Build quality is excellent, fit, finish, all very good. If you pay $500 for a Koren made guitar you have to pay $1500 or even a lot more to get the same quality in an American product. But then the Koreans don't get $75 an hour.

I couldn't really hear the guitar. The playing seems well enough but the distortion unit was pretty bad in my opinion. Play the guitar straight up with some nice articulated passages and then we can really tell how good the guitar sounds. It sure looks good.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    Anubis
    RE: How much can you squeeze out of a cheap guitar? 2008/05/23 17:12:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: darylcrowley

The playing seems well enough but the distortion unit was pretty bad in my opinion. I couldn't really hear the guitar. Play the guitar straight up with some nice articulated passages and then we can really tell how good the guitar sounds...

That's a really interesting observation because there actually was no distortion unit in the entire signal chain. The actual patch used was from Amplitube Jimi Hendrix, called Lever Tunnel Fx.
    Stomp = Octa-V, Rack = Stereo Reverb followed by Rotary Speaker.
    Maybe all that swirling around is imparting a bit of phase distorted tone? Or it could be the extra high lead(Pb) content in the Chinese solder giving that bridge pickup a bit more bite than the enviromentally-friendlier American stock.
    btw- I'm working on the nice articulated passages those will prolly take me a while.

miTunes
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: How much can you squeeze out of a cheap guitar? 2008/05/24 02:10:03 (permalink)
    Some guitars are just made to be squeezed.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: How much can you squeeze out of a cheap guitar? 2008/05/24 02:45:54 (permalink)
    I had a Rock 'n Roll shop in the '80's (blimey that was last century) we had a delivery including one like that pictured and I kid you not some of the bark was left on the neck...it looked kinda nice in a way like some sort of strange inlay all smoothed down and polished in with the rest of the neck but I thought even I'd have trouble selling it with a 7" X 3" 'birth mark' on the back, even if it was an interesting feature. So it got returned.

I think quality assurance must have been away that week...

Most of the time though they a great performers when you are starting out. We had a great guitar man that used to come in and set them all up nicely so at least they played OK.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1