Help on connecting a mixer

Author
lost tears music
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 72
2008/05/22 14:27:43 (permalink)

Help on connecting a mixer

Hello!!

I have a mixer and I would like to connect it to my pc in order to plug my instruments and record them into the pc. It has a main out L/R, CTRL ROOM out L/R (both with normal jacks) a TK out L/R and a RECORD out (both with RCA jacks). WITCH OUTPUT IS BEST TO USE???? to connect with my pc line in?

I would also like to ask if there is a way of connecting an external effect to the mixer e.g to use a reverb when recording vocals but without the effect beeing sent to the pc.
. Just to make it easier to record vocals.

My mixer is an ARCTIC MS1202 compact mixer. I have tried connecting it to the pc and the amplifier but I get a slight hiss sound. It comes from the mixer cos when I connect my amp directly to the pc output or instruments and external effects diferctly to the input, I dont get the hiss sound. Do I need a better mixer or is it possible to eliminate the hiss?

Thanks!!!!

2 Replies Related Threads

Dave King
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2862
    RE: Help on connecting a mixer 2008/05/22 16:55:30 (permalink)
    I'm not familiar with that mixer. BUT, I believe if you can use a channel insert to route the mic signal to your sound card (not the main mixer out) you can record the signal dry while monitoring with whatever effects you want while tracking.

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
    Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Help on connecting a mixer 2008/05/22 18:31:06 (permalink)
    It's all possible... of course your mixer may not have every feature you need.

Did you get this at a retail store? Your gonna find some people here at the forum who will spend and hour or two to type up what you need to do, but this is a perfect question to ask your local music store friends.

Take your mixer to someone and work thru your options... they'll be more than one way to do what you want... you gotta make choices. You'll probably need some extra cables and maybe some adapters. Buy them from the kind soul that helps you.

very best regards,
    mike
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1