Removing Instruments from "add FX" list

Author
ctgleason
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 98
2008/05/22 15:00:46 (permalink)

Removing Instruments from "add FX" list

I have been able to exclude VST and VSTi using the plugin manager, and my instrument list is very clean. However, the FX list still has a bunch of instruments listed as effects. For example Dimension and Dimension LE show up in the effects list, where I don't want them. I don't see any way to configure this in the plugin manager or in the VSTi properties.

Anyone know how to fix this?

6 Replies Related Threads

TheSteven
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2037
    RE: Removing Instruments from "add FX" list 2008/05/23 16:35:18 (permalink)
    Cakewalk DAWs define VST & DX plug-ins as effects; VSTi and DXi plug-ins as instruments. There is no option/setting to override this behavior.

If the plug-in can respond to MIDI data (I'm not sure if this means just MIDI notes or MIDI notes and controller data) then it is classified as an instrument plug-in (VSTi or DXi).

For DXi plug-ins - if you're willing to living without the MIDI capabilities you can use Blue Cat's DXi Manager (available for free on the www.bluecataudio.com download page) to remove the MIDI capabilities for the DXi plug-in and thus turn it into a DX.
    While this may improve the organization of your menus it may strip out features you consider important. Fortunately the utility can also restore MIDI capabilities as well.

For VSTi plug-ins there currently (AFAIK) is not such hack available.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
    My Tunes
    ctgleason
    RE: Removing Instruments from "add FX" list 2008/05/23 16:48:59 (permalink)
    I'm not looking to change the nature of any VST or VSTi. What I'm saying is that the instruments appear twice: Once as instruments and once as effects (even those instruments that P5 is not able to use as effects). I want to remove the VSTi instruments from the effects list, since they do no good there.
    TheSteven
    RE: Removing Instruments from "add FX" list 2008/05/23 17:29:59 (permalink)
    Dimension and Dimension LE are not on my P5 FX lists. They only show on my FX list if I'm looking under "All-", where everything shows up, and then as Dimension (Instrument) and Dimension LE (Instrument).

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

My Tunes
    ctgleason
    RE: Removing Instruments from "add FX" list 2008/05/23 20:26:38 (permalink)
    Yes, exactly. I want to remove everything from that list that says "(instrument)"

Any ideas?
    TheSteven
    RE: Removing Instruments from "add FX" list 2008/05/23 21:16:26 (permalink)
    Its working as it is supposed to.

"All" means what it says - all plug-ins i.e. everything.

My Tunes
    ctgleason
    RE: Removing Instruments from "add FX" list 2008/05/24 11:45:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: TheSteven

Its working as it is supposed to.

"All" means what it says - all plug-ins i.e. everything.

Am I the only one who thinks this is silly? Most of these instruments cannot even be used as effects as far as I know. Which P5 instruments can be used that way? Generally when an instrument is intended to be used as an effect, it has a separate dll for that purpose (as with the Native Instruments synths). The instrument version is useless on the effect list.

There are separate "add FX" and "add Instrument" choices - why should I see instruments (VSTi) in the "add FX" list which is pretty clearly meant for VST?

It would be fine if there were another choice in the menu, for example if I could choose "all VST" - then I could see the uncluttered list. Most of my effects don't fall into some other bucket, so the only way to view them is in the "all" category. Is there no way to configure this?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1