audio disk full??

Author
buffalo87
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2008/05/22 23:34:07 (permalink)

audio disk full??

i use music creator 4 and while recording guitar for not even three minutes it starts to lag and a message pops up "audio disk may be full." what does this mean and can i fix this problem????

2 Replies Related Threads

gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: audio disk full?? 2008/05/23 00:27:45 (permalink)
    I don't remember if you posted your computer specs, but this might be a good time to do it. M/c is a rather large file, and when recording, depending on the settings, bit rate and sample rates, audio files can get quite large. Also, there is basically a complete copy of the file in backup, which allows things like "undo", and there is also the page file settings, and ram, and how they are being utillized. How often do you defrag? How many other programs do you have loaded that are using up disc space? Do you have a second drive mounted internally, so that the program could be on one, while the data is on another? Many possibilities, please supply some tech information.
    Oh, and don't panic, this may be an easy fix, I just threw up some possible, potential problems, and the answer could be a simple defrag.
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: audio disk full?? 2008/05/23 08:29:05 (permalink)
    I think there is an option in MC4 (and all CW products as well) that is called "Clean Audio Disk" or something like that.

When you start recording a project you are working with 2 kinds of tracks....the active ones and there are also a number of other tracks that are "under the surface" ....for example..all the redo's and overdubs and numerous takes of audio tracks that you did in the process of recording. Remember MC4 has 99 levels of undo. All this is saved and associated with your project. All of these "saved takes" are consuming valuable hard drive space....especially the audio stuff!

SO.....cakewalk software engineers have given you the option to erase all of the tracks takes except the active and most recent ones in your project. When you are 100% finished with a project, and have exported it to audio wave...it is a good habit to save the bundle file to a CD...this way you have ALL the files & tracks if you ever need them again...and then run the clean audio disk option to erase all but the active tracks in your project thereby freeing up hard drive space.

OR to save even more HD space..erase the project totally. If you have it on CD as a bundle, you can always re-load it in the future. Make a rule to do this to all projects you have not touched in over 12 months. If you haven't messed with it in 12 months, chances are...you won't in the future.

The more tunes you have the more space is consumed.....I believe this is a project option so you will need to do this in every project to reclaim the most space.

Also..defrag the drive afterwards too.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1