plugin to audiotrack routing question

Author
Tom F
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2749
2008/05/23 09:40:37 (permalink)

plugin to audiotrack routing question

hi all...i was just wondering why i can select the output of a softsynth as input for audiotracks if i then cant record it "realtime" (the rec button dissapears as soon as you set the input) ...actually you can monitor the signal and you can also have the waveform displayed on the audiotrack - and you can beven bounce the audio - but what is it for? - i would do this on insert anyway (in case i wouldnt use the synthrack) - so why the routing possibility???

btw... internal realtime recording would be also fun to work with - why isnt there one?

cheers

2 Replies Related Threads

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    RE: plugin to audiotrack routing question 2008/05/23 11:46:55 (permalink)
    I find this very logical even though I can imagine situations when realtime audio recording would be nice. I'm not an expert enough to say what it would mean latencywise, could be hard on the machine. Anyway the actual clue of the whole midi-thing being the possibility to play the material and then change the instrument and add commands. If the audio was recorded, you could not add a pitch wheel event or edit the notes in PRV for example.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Tom F
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2749
    RE: plugin to audiotrack routing question 2008/05/23 12:59:03 (permalink)
    hi - well...actually i agree with you ...but nevertheless - why it is also implenmented that a softsynth can act as "audio in" when i can easily (not as esay as with other sequencers) set the plug into the audiotrack insert, or i could select it directly in the synthrack...
    i just miss, what sort of application (or use) this should have - and if there was one id love to know it
    this has nothing to do with the midi side - since in all three cases you obviously need a miditrack to trigger the plug...

whatdoiknow ???

edit: PS: actually realtime recording would just be a nice feature to use here and there - you know sometimes its just more spontaneuos to work like with some old recording device - i sometimes sense that midi doesnt capture the very all small nuances of what is played (when you edit synth parameters on the plug-gui... maybe it depends on performance fluctuation - there was a big thread once speaking about the "problems" of midi - such as latency and enexact capturing of parameters...
    post edited by info@tomflair.com - 2008/05/23 13:04:04
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1