Multimix monitoring

Author
bspires
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2008/05/23 14:04:51 (permalink)

Multimix monitoring

I'm having difficulty monitoring thru a multimix 16 with Sonar 7 Producer. Here's what I've got so far:

1) Using MME driver mode in Sonar.
2) Routing the output of the Sonar master track to "Alesis Firewire Audio"
3) 2 TK to Ctl Room is pressed on the multimix
4) Monitors plugged into the multimix Ctl Rm Out jacks
5) The Ctl Rm Volume and Master Mix volumes are set to monitorable levels

When I record (or simply play back) a track , I would expect to hear the recorded track through the multimix monitors. Am I missing something here? Any help is greatly appreciated.

7 Replies Related Threads

rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    RE: Multimix monitoring 2008/05/23 14:23:56 (permalink)
    It only takes one button not pressed for everything not to work. It has to be a simple routing issue to your mixer. Do you have and ASIO driver for the mixer? I would think that would be preferable to MME.
    bspires
    RE: Multimix monitoring 2008/05/23 14:44:02 (permalink)
    Thanks rumleymusic.

My card doesn't have an ASIO driver, but I'm in the process of ordering a new card that supports ASIO (Echo Indigo). In the meantime, I'm trying to get a headstart on setting up the monitoring.

Any suggestions on how to better understand which buttons should be pressed? I've looked at the multimix user guide and my enabled buttons are set as they recommend. I'm surprised at how little discussion about this issue there is on the web.

Thanks again.
    newfuturevintage
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1848
    RE: Multimix monitoring 2008/05/23 15:00:55 (permalink)
    you should be able to use your mixer with ASIO drivers.

like the ones you can download from: http://www.alesis.com/contentmgr/showdetails.php/id/1173/tt/5

have you changed your driver mode to ASIO in Sonar? In sonar 6 its: Options > audio > advanced
    don't know where it's located in 7, but probably similarly.

My inner child is an angry drunk.
    rumleymusic
    RE: Multimix monitoring 2008/05/23 15:47:34 (permalink)
    I would think they must have ASIO like mentioned. MME is somewhat dependant on the Windows operating system as far as I understand. I may be as simple as the audio output is muted in the windows mixer. Look at your windows control pannel settings under "Sound" and see if Alesis is selected as the default playback device and make sure nothing is muted. Or...try to get those ASIO drivers working and sonar should control everything.
    bspires
    RE: Multimix monitoring 2008/05/23 16:07:48 (permalink)
    Yes, you guys are right about recording with the asio drivers. I had previously had success recording with in asio mode, but during playback (with the master track output going to the onboard soundcard, not back to the multimix) I wasn't getting any sound. I assumed that that was because the driver mode was asio and my soundcard didn't support it.

So if I'm understanding you right, even though my soundcard doesn't support asio, if I have asio enabled in Sonar and if I route the master output to the multimix I should be able to monitor via the multimix.

I've taken rumleymusic's suggestion and set the windows audio output to the multimix, but still no signal coming from the multimix during playback.

rumleymusic
    RE: Multimix monitoring 2008/05/23 17:15:59 (permalink)
    Ahh, I think I see now. You also have a sound card in addition to the Alesis. Forget the sound card, the Alesis is your interface and the ASIO drivers are for that, not whatever else you have. Enable ASIO in Sonar in you audio options, and make sure your default output device is the Alesis, It should then work.

You can only use one ASIO device at a time in Windows. If there are other devices in you driver selection menu other than the Alesis with ASIO selected, you should disable them. (Just by de-selecting them) and make sure all the Alesis inputs/outputs are selected.
    bspires
    RE: Multimix monitoring 2008/05/23 18:09:32 (permalink)
    Ok, I've had some success. Thanks alot to everyone for their generous suggestions.

I had been monitoring the signal coming from the CtlRmOut channel on the multimix. When I switched to the Main Mix Out I heard the playback.

Here's a list of the different steps I took to get things working:
    *In the multimix ASIO control panel (Sonar > Options > Audio), I set the output to Stereo instead of Direct.
    *Set the multimix as the default recording and playback device for Sound and Voice in the windows mixer (Windows > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices)
    *Actually monitored the right multimix channel (Main Mix Out)

Now that it's working it makes sense to me that you wouldn't monitor CtlRmOut if you wanted to hear playback. The signal going into the control room should only be the live signal, not the playback. If you included the playback signal in the CtlRmOut mix, you'd be getting the live signal and the playback mixed together onto tape.

Thanks again to you guys for helping me over the hump. I'll buy you a beer next time I see you.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1