Quantisizing Midi Drums

Author
Stealthassassin
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 108
2008/05/26 21:27:40 (permalink)

Quantisizing Midi Drums

Hi there...

Just wondering what method people use to tighten the timing of their midi drums.

I am recording on drum pads and then quantisizing, but i find that if i select all, Process>Quantisize my drums get a bit out of whack. So do you use this method? If so, is it best to only select the kick for example, then quantisize that, then snare and so on? Or do i just need to get me hands working faster at the recording stage?

TIA

6 Replies Related Threads

doncolga
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1519
    RE: Quantisizing Midi Drums 2008/05/26 22:18:19 (permalink)
    After I record drum parts on my keyboard I go into the Piano Roll view and select the parts that have the highest resolution (like hi hats and toms that may reach a 16th note) and quantize those together. Then I select another part with a lower resolution (like kick and snare that may reach only 8th notes) and quantize those together. I usually do the kick and snare at 100% and may do everything else at 100% or lower. I also adjust velocities here to, often maximizing the kick and snare and leaving other stuff alone. I've got key bindings for quantizing and velocities so I can do it really quickly and quantize more precisely to what I played.

Also, be sure that when you play your drum parts that they are pretty close in the first place. Personally, I find that my own timing is not too good and quantizing helps alot.

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes
    Stealthassassin
    RE: Quantisizing Midi Drums 2008/05/26 22:29:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: doncolga

After I record drum parts on my keyboard I go into the Piano Roll view and select the parts that have the highest resolution (like hi hats and toms that may reach a 16th note) and quantize those together. Then I select another part with a lower resolution (like kick and snare that may reach only 8th notes) and quantize those together. I usually do the kick and snare at 100% and may do everything else at 100% or lower. I also adjust velocities here to, often maximizing the kick and snare and leaving other stuff alone. I've got key bindings for quantizing and velocities so I can do it really quickly and quantize more precisely to what I played.

Also, be sure that when you play your drum parts that they are pretty close in the first place. Personally, I find that my own timing is not too good and quantizing helps alot.

Hey thanks doncolga!

OK, so it seems i should split the parts that i am quantisizing to get more accurate results. Can you explain the resloution description you have used? Is it a way of describing the amount of times the instrument is hit per bar - something that is played 16 time per bar = high resolution?

Well i just want to say... I am loving Midi and SONAR So much to learn though..
    doncolga
    RE: Quantisizing Midi Drums 2008/05/26 23:05:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Stealthassassin

Hey thanks doncolga!

OK, so it seems i should split the parts that i am quantisizing to get more accurate results. Can you explain the resloution description you have used? Is it a way of describing the amount of times the instrument is hit per bar - something that is played 16 time per bar = high resolution?

Well i just want to say... I am loving Midi and SONAR So much to learn though..

You don't have to split the parts, I just do that myself sometimes. If you play it in pretty close then you can use the highest resolution that you played and it should get all the parts fine.

Resolution is the smallest division of time that a certain part plays. Basically they are whole, half, quarter, eighth, sixteenth, 32nd...it depends on the time signature of the song. Very generally speaking, if a measure in 4/4 time is divided into 16 equal divisions, then those are 16th notes, 8 equal divisions are 8th notes, four are quarter notes, two are half, one is a whole note. Those are the basic resolutions. There are also triplet varieties that have a swing feel to them.

If I have a measure where the snare drum is only playing quarter notes, then I'll quantize using quarter note resolution. If I have another measure where the snare drum is playing 16th notes, then I'd need to quantize that using 16th note resolution. If you want to quantize both measures at once, you'll need to use the highest resolution that was played; in this case, the 16th note resolution. This applies to all your other percussion parts too...and regular instrument parts for that matter as well.

I cut my sequencing teeth almost 20 years ago on a Roland MC-500 and step timed all my drum parts in with the rhythm sequence. This really helped me *see* exactly what each note was playing. I have not used it, but I believe there is a step sequencer in Sonar that could be mighty handy for programming drum parts. But DO try playing your parts in the way you are doing now and then quantize.

Another drum programming tip: try to think the way a real drummer plays. You're not likely going to do a huge tom tom roll at the same time 16th notes are rolling off the high hat and the snare is doing 16th notes too. I usually put down a kick and snare together, then I go back and add hi hats, toms and cymbals all at the same time. That way, when I'm doing something like a roll or something with the toms, I'm not hitting the hi hats at the same time. Every song is not like this; I use loops on some things and then it doesn't really apply. But for things that are more acoustic, I really try to stick with that.
    post edited by doncolga - 2008/05/26 23:32:08

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes
    Stealthassassin
    RE: Quantisizing Midi Drums 2008/05/26 23:41:34 (permalink)
    Thanks again doncalga!! That explains it perfectly :)

I have been recording the kick and the snare in one go, then going back and recording hats/cymbals and toms over the top as you have suggested, it is much easier for me that way as i dont quite have the coordination at the moment to even think about getting them all down at once. It also helps me focus on getting my timing right.

I just can't wait to get something down that i am proud of.. That day will come soon :)
    doncolga
    RE: Quantisizing Midi Drums 2008/05/27 00:03:12 (permalink)
    Another tip if you are new to this...

When you're beginning MIDI and audio sequencing and you realize you have all this power at your fingertips, be selective about parts you use when building your arrangements. When I first started this, I was about 13 years old and would have about a dozen different drums going on, bass, piano, organ, strings, synths, horns, etc....I was *WAY* over sequenced. I'm quite the opposite now.

I would suggest building the best arrangements you can with the fewest parts to build the basic structure, then very carefully add as you see fit, being careful that the parts really plays a role and that they fit together well and don't clash.

Bonzos Ghost
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    RE: Quantisizing Midi Drums 2008/05/28 15:48:19 (permalink)
    For midi drum tracks, I try and get as tight a performance as possible first, then manually fix anything that needs attention. If some sections are a little off, I'll quantize small segments and then slip a few things around just so everything's not too rigid. A little swing factor can help. If I'm starting with drums, sometimes I may record at a slower tempo. That can be quite effective in getting things tighter right off the get go. If it's too slow, you may loose the groove, so you'll have to experiment there. I only use "acoustic kits" for drums, so I try and avoid quantizing as much as possible to retain the human feel factor.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1