Edit for clarity:

For some reason my Rapture files are located in two places (using XP):

1) C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Rapture
2) C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Cakewalk\Rapture

In location 2) are three folders:

A) MIDI
B) Programs
C) Sample Pool

My Registry entries for Rapture (viewed via techead's fantastic tutorial on this subject) are:

Default REG_SZ (value not set)
Contents Folder REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Rapture
RegUrl REG_SZ http://www.cakewalk.com/register/default.asp?LID=3&PID=CWRP100&SN=
Serial Number REG_SZ CWRP-1.00-XXXXXX-XXXXXX

I move the three folders from location 2) to location 1). I send the three folders from location 2) to the Recycle Bin. I open regedit. It appears the Contents Folder registry entry is already set for location 1). I open Rapture. I see no programs in the browser. I F5. Nothing happens. I close Rapture. Re-open, etc. Nothing happens. No programs showing up in the browser. I restore the three folders from the Recycle Bin. Now the programs are showing up in the browser. So evidently I am not taking the right action to re-point where the browser looks for programs, since it still appears to be looking in location 2).

Also, if this is related, when making sure Rapture has the focus, pressing F1 yields the error message "Failed to launch Help".

What a convoluted file system this is. I want to purchase and install the Craig Anderton expansion pack, but I'm not doing anything until I know I have control over where my Rapture files are located.

Thanks in advance for the help!
post edited by Nick P - 2008/05/28 05:32:30

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!

9 Replies Related Threads

altima_boy_2001
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2033
    RE: Baffled Over Rapture's File System 2008/05/28 07:33:37 (permalink)
    Your Rapture directory structure is exactly like mine...Is having control really that important? The separation is intended to keep user data out of the Program files directory, but still put it in a centralized location.

In terms of the Minimoog expansion it will put 100 KB (yes, just kilobytes) of oscillators under C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Rapture and 2.5 MB of programs under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Cakewalk\Rapture. The download also contains a couple of movies that make up the rest of the 50 or 75 MB of data.

You can use me as your eSoundz referral (altima_boy_2001).
    Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: Baffled Over Rapture's File System 2008/05/28 07:40:17 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advice. No, I guess having control isn't that important. I would still like to know "why" this isn't working just for my own head. Thanks also for explaining what to expect with the Minimoog expansion. At least now I know it will install programs and samples in two different locations. It seems like I moved my Rapture program folder once before but maybe I just re-arranged stuff within the main folder. Anyway I do remember doing an F5 refresh afterwards and it worked. Will still be interested to know why I can't move the main programs folder to C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Rapture.

kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Baffled Over Rapture's File System 2008/05/28 12:30:48 (permalink)
    There appear to be only 2 registry entries for Rapture "baggage"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Rapture\Contents Folder
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Rapture\Multisamples Folder

Unless there's a so-called "undocumented" registry setting for Programs, then Rapture automatically looks for Programs in that All Users location.

Perhaps Rene or someone can put in this little change for users to locate their programs wherever... Of course, that would also mean adding a UI item for setting these values (can't have the user mucking about with Regedit!)

--kwgm
    Nick P
    RE: Baffled Over Rapture's File System 2008/05/28 17:40:39 (permalink)
    I don't have a Multisamples Folder registry entry. I went and created one. Then later deleted it. It made no difference. I have a Contents Folder entry which has always been C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Rapture. But when I actually moved the three folders MIDI, Programs, and Sample Pool to that location, I evidently could not get my browser to re-point to that location.

You mention an undocumented registry setting. This seems even more mysterious. Why would there be a registry setting in plain sight which does not seem to indicate the proper folder.

Anyway, while I want to find out how and why this is, I am taking altima_boy's recommendation and just dealing with it. But it's weird, that's for sure.

Jim Wright
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1218
    RE: Baffled Over Rapture's File System 2008/05/30 18:39:42 (permalink)
    Because of changes in Vista, Cakewalk (and many others) had to change how files were managed.
    These changes were absolutely not optional for Vista installations. While XP installations could still have been done the old way -- I'd guess Cakewalk decided it made more sense (and would generate less tech-support confusion) if all installations were done according to current Microsoft guidelines.

Program files (stuff that doesn't change after installation) still goes under C:\Program Files by default. Data files (stuff that _does_ change) can no longer go there. Why? Vista apparently doesn't permit it (those files are treated as read-only files that can't be modified). So, data files (samples, synth programs, MIDI files....) _have_ to go somewhere else. The Microsoft-recommended location is apparently under C:\Documents and Settings (for XP) and under C:\ProgramData (for Vista).

If you want more detail, see http://www.cakewalk.com/support/kb/kb20070117.asp
    That touches on the new file location policies, but doesn't give reasons.
    While it's for Sonar, the same Microsoft-driven changes affect Rapture and other Cakewalk software.

I haven't personally used Vista (and am avoiding it as long as possible), so I can't vouch for this -- it's just what I recall.
    FWIW, I don't care for the new policy either: I keep my music apps on a separate volume from C, wave audio files on a 4rd volume, and sample data on a 5th volume.
    This makes for a bit of hassle when I update, or get something new. But, I understand that Cakewalk didn't really have much choice.

Nick P
    RE: Baffled Over Rapture's File System 2008/05/30 20:28:13 (permalink)
    Fantastic explanation, Jim. For the first time I feel like I understand this.

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Baffled Over Rapture's File System 2008/05/30 23:37:02 (permalink)
    The Rapture 1.1 release notes (in HTML format) are installed with Rapture and contain some of this information, too.
    Nick P
    RE: Baffled Over Rapture's File System 2008/05/31 00:20:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: techead

The Rapture 1.1 release notes (in HTML format) are installed with Rapture and contain some of this information, too.

And here it is:

Folder Structure Changes (Windows only)

In order to provide full Vista support, and to preserve XP/Vista cross compatibility, Rapture 1.1 has a different folder structure than Rapture 1.0:

1.0:
    $\Rapture.dll
    $\Resources
    $\LFO Waveforms
    $\Multisamples
    $\Programs
    $\Tunings
    $\Documentation
    $\Sample Pool
    $\MIDI

1.1:
    $\Rapture.dll
    $\Rapture.exe
    $\Resources
    $\LFO Waveforms
    $\Multisamples
    $\Tunings
    $\Documentation
    < Common Application Data>\Sample Pool
    < Common Application Data>\MIDI
    < Common Application Data>\Programs

Typical <Common Application Data> folders:
    " C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Cakewalk\Rapture" (Windows XP)
    " C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Rapture" (Windows Vista)

In summary, '\Sample Pool', '\MIDI' and '\Programs' folders have been moved from installation folder into Common Application Data.

Depending on Windows folder attributes and installation settings, Common Application Data folder could be hidden from the user.
    The new 'Browse Programs' option in the Programs menu will open a Windows Explorer window directly in the '\Programs' folder, so programs can be easily added/removed/re-arranged even if the folder is hidden.

Rapture installer has moved all the User programs and Expansion Packs programs (if installed) from the 1.0 location into the new folder location.

Nick P
    RE: Baffled Over Rapture's File System 2008/05/31 00:26:08 (permalink)
    The key, like the documentation says, is using the new "Browse Programs" option. I just tried at and sure enough it opens a Windows Explorer type view, allowing you to rearrange your program structure. Just don't forget to F5 refresh Rapture's browser the next time you open it up.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1