db-audioware - any users

Author
silvercn
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1238
2008/06/02 00:46:17 (permalink)

db-audioware - any users

Hi - I am going to download a trial bundle of db-audio plug ins to use in my HS6XL. One of the plug ins is the "dB=L Matering Limiter. I was wondering if anyone out there has used these products yet, and what you think. A related question is how this limiter compares to Boost 11 which I have used and like.

Thanks

1 Reply Related Threads

wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    RE: db-audioware - any users 2008/06/02 13:23:33 (permalink)
    Are you referring to their DirectX Mastering Suite? I can not guess whether or not you'll like them, but they are some of my favorite dynamics processors!!!

My current "A List" of dynamics processors - in no specific order - includes:

UAD-1 1176, LA-2, and VU compressor
    They just sound lovely, and remind me of my early days recording. I used them for so long that I just know what they will do, makes for quick work<G>!

Kjaerhus Golden Compressor and Peak-Pressor
    The Compressor can sound almost like any compressor, very flexible!
    The Peak-Pressor is great as a last stage brick wall, it stays out of the way well.

Waves Rennaisance Compressor
    Another really cool sounding compressor that works well on tracks or a mix. I especially like it on acoustic guitar.

Voxengo Crunchessor
    I'm still using V1, but this think is wonderful on drum tracks, bass tracks, brass tracks, guitar tracks...

Sony Wavehammer
    If you have to eek out every last bit this is, to my ears, the least destructive of the various maximizers. L1 from Waves also does a nice job, but it is harder to make the process transparent. And to answer you other question, I really don't think much of Boost11, way too many artifacts for me, or I just haven't learned to use it yet!

Cakewalk Multi-Band Compressor
    If you want to get that Motown sound this is one of the easier ways to get it.

Sonitus Compressor
    Of the bunch this one seems to be the one that can be pushed the hardest without starting to sound like garbage.

DBAudio

The Dynamics Processor is probably the weakest of the bunch, but it is still a really useful tool. You can smack it almost as hard as the Sonitus, and it used to be the only game in town for side-chaining. That, of course, has changed. I believe the intent here was a bus compressor for a mix (hence the name of the suite) but I use it on tracks as well. Since I picked up the UAD-1 and the Kjaerhus compressor I don't use it for tracks as often.

The Multi-band limiter is just brilliant. A very different sound than any of the multi-band compressors I've tried. Doesn't fit every song, but when it fits it sounds great!

The De-Esser works pretty well. I try really hard to avoid frequency dependent compressors, but if I have to use one I use this or Waves.

The Mastering Limiter was my first choice until I discovered Wavehammer. And there are songs where Wavehammer just don't sound good, at which point I'll try this and L1.

On the whole you get a brilliant Multi-band limiter that I think is nearly worth the price of admission, and you get a Dynamics Processor that is very flexible, and probably second best at everything, which is not a bad thing to have around. The De-Esser works as well as any, and the Mastering Limiter is really good.

I know that this may come off as sounding negative, but it isn't meant that way at all! I really like the suite, and I have no regrets about the purchase! When I bought it (years ago) they were as good as it gets, but the competition has really increased. And even at that they still stand toe to toe with their competition. The other thing you should know is that the company is really easy to work with. I've had only one semi-serious bug, and they had it fixed before I reported it!

Doing business with them has been equally easy. I bought their first amplifier simulator (Aura) and when they replaced it they made a very fair offer on the upgrade.

I do wish I could justify the price of Quantum-FX, as the demo was a ton of fun, but I just haven't had the spare cash yet.

Do check out their free tempo delay - it used to come as part of the suite, but if it doesn't it is well worth the download!

I like the company and their products, and I d

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1