Another new metal song

Author
mgh
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8594
2008/06/05 16:04:37 (permalink)

Another new metal song

can't seem to write pop at the mo - it's either metal or church music. how odd.

click dies irae or here the song is called God Cries.

all done since 1pm today (it's now 21.00 here)
post edited by mgh - 2008/06/05 17:34:03

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd

24 Replies Related Threads

musiccontinuum
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 636
    RE: Another new metal song 2008/06/05 17:07:48 (permalink)
    Hey Mark when I click on the 'here' link it takes me to SoundClick then jumps to the home page. What's the name of the song?

Jon

Platinum 2016 (latest patch)
    Windows 10 - x64
    Tascam US-2x2 or Focusrite Scarlett
    DELL Inspiron 3000 (I3847-3846BK) Intel i3-4130 3.40GHz / 8GB Memory / Windows 10 64-bit
    http://www.joncoble.com
    mgh
    RE: Another new metal song 2008/06/05 17:12:20 (permalink)
    It's called God Cries...i'll try and fix that link, cheers...

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Another new metal song 2008/06/05 17:12:30 (permalink)
    The direct link does not work. The one in your sig takes me to your page. I am assuming its the song with no title?

*suddenly flies back and is thrown against the wall*

Nope... I remember this LOL

Trying "God Cries".

Ooooo, very Tool like opening.

Nice. If this is church music, then I wanna go to your church

Well done. Enjoyed that immensely. Thinking your "black" vox might make for a cool Medusa voice.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    musiccontinuum
    RE: Another new metal song 2008/06/05 17:34:57 (permalink)
    [Ignore this , I found it from the corrected link]

Ok, so maybe it's time that I get glasses, but I can't locate a God Cries anywhere under the music page http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=725243

I see "IT ALL MEANS GOD IN THE END", but that's it.
    post edited by musiccontinuum - 2008/06/05 17:55:50

Jon

Windows 10 - x64
    DELL Inspiron 3000 (I3847-3846BK) Intel i3-4130 3.40GHz / 8GB Memory / Windows 10 64-bit
    musiccontinuum
    RE: Another new metal song 2008/06/05 18:26:41 (permalink)
    Enjoyed it. Personal bias here (guitar player), but I would like more guitar upfront, but it's the right balance for your song. I like the arrangement, I like the 'pull-back' on the drive at 4:50.

Jon

Windows 10 - x64
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: Another new metal song 2008/06/05 19:09:13 (permalink)
    interesting piece.

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    wickerman
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1039
    RE: Another new metal song 2008/06/05 19:17:12 (permalink)
    Good stuff, I like it. You might get punchier guitar tracks by dropping the distortion down and use your same mixing technique. Second that on the arrangement, very good and keeps moving throughout the tune.

metal, church...combination of the two....all good to me. not odd at all, just expanded horizons IMHO.
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Another new metal song 2008/06/05 19:45:02 (permalink)
    Hey Mr. Hyper Drummer!! I couldn't even tap that fast on my desk! I have to say that I actually liked the song. I think you had a great blend of mellow/metal in this. Kept it interesting. I think you should post the lyrics on SC so I can understand what's being said in those 'meaty' passages. Loved those spacy, clean guitar parts, squeaks and all. One thing about your music Mark is, you're very diversified. Well done!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    rhynosynth
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 520
    RE: Another new metal song 2008/06/05 20:57:55 (permalink)
    Good song. I like the distoted vocals but glad you came in with regular singing eventually( good voice). The guitar is good for the song but I agree it could be a little crisper and bumped up. It's a keeper and worth more effort that's for sure.

Rhyno
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    RE: Another new metal song 2008/06/05 21:07:58 (permalink)
    Sounds pretty nice.

I immediately hear some out of key singing.. That could be easily fixed up with some v-vocal.

The drums need some more humanising. There was a snare roll early on that was just like 8 fast snare hits with all the same velocity and snare layer... Sounded soooo fake. What are you using for your drums? The mixing on them is pretty good, BUT, they still sound fake. Are you just using simple midi drums that sound nice? Cause every single snare in that entire track sounds like it was the exact same sample..

The mastering sounds like it needs some work too - but it's getting there. I don't get that nice, all gelled together, multi-band compression sound..

Overall though, very nice. Well done!
    Sabbathack
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Another new metal song 2008/06/05 22:41:37 (permalink)
    Great song! I'm a fan!

-Troy
    ------------------------------
    Comments always welcome!!
    My Music
    AsherLongley
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 683
    RE: Another new metal song 2008/06/05 22:51:39 (permalink)
    Metal Church music, I think you have a new genre here (or a very old one???)
    tdye
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1926
    RE: Another new metal song 2008/06/05 23:36:59 (permalink)
    Mark, listening, writing. I like the beginning. Woa! Heavy! Going somewhere. Well produced. Vox is dirty! Wow. Amazing. Very creative piece. Props.

Tom
    http://www.soundclick.com/tomdye
    http://www.ourstage.com/profile/tomdye
    http://twitter.com/tom_dye

Dell Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 w/HyperThreading 3.2GHz, 3 GB Ram, Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
    Sonar 8 Producer Edition, Rapture, Project5
    mgh
    RE: Another new metal song 2008/06/07 06:38:49 (permalink)
    hey thanks to everyone for your comments, it's really appreciated. sounds like the mix balance was a bit better on this one. when i get a chance i'll prob bring in the two main guitars from 100% L/R to about 60% i think (noticed on headphones it's too wide at times...)

i like the sound i got on the clean vox, yeah there were some intonation errors but it was a one time recorded thing - again, i'll redo it at some point (rather sing again than v-vocal...though i might try it)

as for the snare - yep, i hate that sound too! i use DFHS, and no matter how much cycling/humanising/randomising i choose, and i go through during the quick passages and input a velocity change for each snare hit (between 80 and 120) it still sounds mechanical...anyone any ideas? i use the Sonor kit from DFHS as it seems the most metal, but maybe i need to use the snare from another kit...would it help to not use one of the 2 snare mics (it's mic'd above and below)? or even use an entirely different snare drum eg from session drummer 2 or tts-1? or if aontone has any eq/compression tips...currently i use the Sonitus EQ to avoid that cardboard sound (usually a high pass filter and a boost in the mids), a Modern channel strip on the snare setting, with a FX send to a reverb aux send buss with a Perfect Space plate verb on it, set to around 40% wet, and all the drums get fed to the drums buss with a slightly-adjusted Vintage Channel drum buss preset...

many thanks for listening and taking the time to comment, even though i know for many of you this genre is not somehing you'd pick!

Sabbathack
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Another new metal song 2008/06/07 07:15:48 (permalink)
    Well from someone who lives and breathes this genre, this song is better than some that I have CHOSEN to pay for. I wouldn't worry about that snare drum too much. Personally I think you and others are being a bit too critical. The entire song rocks, but the TOOL-ish intro was very cool!

Troy

-Troy
    ------------------------------
    Comments always welcome!!
    My Music
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Another new metal song 2008/06/07 07:19:03 (permalink)
    Good sounds, thought the vox in the finale was cool.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    tdye
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1926
    RE: Another new metal song 2008/06/07 08:51:03 (permalink)
    Hey Mark, I was reading through the comments that were left for you and realized that one of mine might have been misleading in the way I wrote it so I wanted to clarify - When I say "vox is dirty" its an old guys way of trying to say something "hip, what I really mean is that I think that vox fx is gritty and I like that kind of sound and think its a good fit and sounds neat, perfectly suites this genre in my way of thinking. I am certainly no expert on this genre, but I wouldn't change your vocals.

Tom
    http://www.soundclick.com/tomdye
    http://www.ourstage.com/profile/tomdye
    http://twitter.com/tom_dye

Dell Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 w/HyperThreading 3.2GHz, 3 GB Ram, Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
    Sonar 8 Producer Edition, Rapture, Project5
    mgh
    RE: Another new metal song 2008/06/08 10:31:37 (permalink)
    thanks, Troy, Rob, Tom. i'm gonna give it a coupla days then relisten to see how i feel. i'm gonna rerecord an earlier song this/next week and then i'll have 4 strong songs to put on a demo to send around the various mags and stuff...

jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Another new metal song 2008/06/09 07:27:01 (permalink)
    Great intro Mark, you pulled that off very confidently - not easy to expose a clean guitar like that, but you performed that section really well. Thought the arrangement of this track was excellent actually, I don't have any reference for stuff like this, but it's well put together, powerful work.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: Another new metal song 2008/06/09 09:18:24 (permalink)
    it sounds tight. that guitar is lovely. I like how you have the vox in two different fields.
    gives the piece more depth and makes the guitar seem orbital.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    kayehl
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 846
    RE: Another new metal song 2008/06/12 13:35:27 (permalink)
    loved the opening - it really set up the mood for the piece - beautiful guitar work - i like how it modulates from one section to the next adding drums and vocals along the way. i dont know - its probably just these speakers i'm listening on, but it sounds like the distorted guitars could use some LPF to tame the high end just a bit?

I am not an expert
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Another new metal song 2008/06/12 17:41:45 (permalink)

Magnificent stuff Mark - right up my street, that guitar tone is to die for

I'm currently on listen no 6 as I type and it's really growing on me - I agree with what someone said about letting us have the lyrics though.

Thanks for sharing

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    RE: Another new metal song 2008/06/12 22:12:34 (permalink)
    as for the snare - yep, i hate that sound too! i use DFHS, and no matter how much cycling/humanising/randomising i choose, and i go through during the quick passages and input a velocity change for each snare hit (between 80 and 120) it still sounds mechanical...anyone any ideas? i use the Sonor kit from DFHS as it seems the most metal, but maybe i need to use the snare from another kit...would it help to not use one of the 2 snare mics (it's mic'd above and below)? or even use an entirely different snare drum eg from session drummer 2 or tts-1? or if aontone has any eq/compression tips...currently i use the Sonitus EQ to avoid that cardboard sound (usually a high pass filter and a boost in the mids), a Modern channel strip on the snare setting, with a FX send to a reverb aux send buss with a Perfect Space plate verb on it, set to around 40% wet, and all the drums get fed to the drums buss with a slightly-adjusted Vintage Channel drum buss preset...

Well, if the 80-120 velocity layers aren't cutting it, it's going to have to be something else.. You could try even MORE, just really exaggerate it just to SEE if that makes it any better. If not, clearly ain't gonna work. Go from like 50-127, and just see how it sounds. I often use as much variation as that in my songs, though they are a different genre. Sometimes I find as well that there is almost no change from 80-110, but from 60-80 there is a huge difference, so yeah, really go far on it and see how it sounds.

I would try giving it some more of the bottom mic. Should hopefully bring up some more of the high stuff to it which might have a bit more variation to it. Or you could try muting the top, then bottom, and looking at which sounds more natural, then mixing the levels accordingly.

Try another snare as well, see how that goes. Also try layering the current snare with another snare that may not really fit with it, but has a very natural sound about it. So if you can find another snare that changes a lot in tone between hits, eq it to that kind of region, and combine.

Also, do you have the overheads on with snare through them? I think that makes a big difference also. If you only have the snare coming from the two snare mics alone, it might not cut it.

Some strong compression on it 'could' bring out the differences of each hit a bit more. That little bit of rattle after each hit may be brought up just enough to give each hit some variation. If you try this, you could also REALLY vary the velocity levels and after the compression, bring all the hits back to the same hardness, but now you have the different sounds from each different hardness of hit coming through. Should hopefully make a difference. Worth a shot I think. Maybe then a bit of gating on it to bring it back in line with that nice fast attack.

Another thing to try is to get your bottom mic and compress the HELL out of it and really EQ the HELL out of it (boost the 'snap/hit' something like 10dB, boost the bottom of it something like 10, then cut the cardboard area loads) now bring that highly edited track up in level slowly with the top mic to get the right balance of that wayy overly processed strong sound with the original. New York Compression, essentially. This technique also works really well on kick drums.
    post edited by mattplaysguitar - 2008/06/12 22:35:28
    mgh
    RE: Another new metal song 2008/06/13 07:00:48 (permalink)
    james, rick, kevin, steve - thanks a lot for your comments. as i said previously i have one more song to do then i'm gonna put the 4 on a CD demo, at which point i'll really try to master the hell out of em! interesting point about the LPF on the guitars - i almost always cut all the lo-end out of all the tracks except kick, floor tom, bass and synths, but never thought about taming the high end on the guitars...
    matt - hey that's great advice there. i guess i will have to try lower velocities. I'll also try NY/parallel compression ideas you mention, i never thought about using two instance of the kick to get both the 'boom' and the 'click' but that makes sense now...thanks a lot for taking the time!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1