new tune Blood for Tears from Distant Towers

Author
CreatingNoise
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1666
2008/06/11 11:40:33 (permalink)

new tune Blood for Tears from Distant Towers

Hello folks!

Distant Towers (online collab band) has a new song ready for your comments. Tom has tweaked this one to the "80%" mark which is the point at which we post for critiques (The Pogue Method).

The song is called "Blood for Tears" and is available here.....

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6624989

The tune features....
Tom (aka Pogue of the Project Shed) on guitars, vocals and all things Sonar.
Robbie (from Dbrunjae) on drums, percussion and vocals.
Tony (from The Lindale Project) on guitar and bass guitar.

We would greatly appreciate any listens and of course, any comments---good or bad.

Thanks.

15 Replies Related Threads

kayehl
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 846
    RE: new tune Blood for Tears from Distant Towers 2008/06/11 12:30:43 (permalink)
    You guys are doing some seriously good collaborating. The mix sounds very good and the vocal and guitar effects sound great.

I am not an expert
    foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: new tune Blood for Tears from Distant Towers 2008/06/11 13:34:39 (permalink)
    That is a seriously good song.

There is something a bit off with the mix, but I cannot quite put my finger on what it is. I will have to listen a few times more.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    CreatingNoise
    RE: new tune Blood for Tears from Distant Towers 2008/06/11 16:22:13 (permalink)
    Kevin--thanks for stopping in for a listen. Thanks for the compliment. Tom is the heart of our collab and from my standpoint he seems to take anything we throw out and tweak into something more than it was. One of the guitar effects came off of my V-AMP 2 unit and the patch was called Sonar. I thought that was appropriate. Glad you found the song to your liking.

Shad--thanks for listening to our latest collab and for your kind compliment. Is it something present through the whole song or just in parts? Tom says he hears some stuff he wants to tweak in the last minute or so of the tune. There is a little bass riff in the verses that we all thought was a little distracting but Tom dropped it back a bit hoping it might fit in better. Maybe that is it, it happens between the vocals for the most part. Well, if you do listen a few more times, let me know if you figure it out. We appreciate your input.
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: new tune Blood for Tears from Distant Towers 2008/06/11 16:58:57 (permalink)
    No, the verse is ok, and so is the last few minutes. It seems to be to chorus.

It might be easier to describe what I seem to be hearing than be specific about what is going on and maybe you might be able to identify what's happening.

Basically, when the chorus comes in, its nice an powerful, but it seems to me that everything is competing for space, and I can not quite make anything out. Everything seems to disappear into one sonic sound scape which caused me to strain to try to resolve the various parts. Kind of like I was listening in a room that was reflecting all the sounds in a half dozen ways, causing interference and cancellations.

This seems to happen only during the first two choruses. I am not sure if its the Vox, the Drums or the guitar, or some combination of each causing it.

I really like the deep dark nature of this song though, and the soundlclick song icon is really cool.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: new tune Blood for Tears from Distant Towers 2008/06/11 19:22:41 (permalink)
    I think this may be my favorite from the 'crew' to date. It has this sparse arrangement, but fills up the sonic space in a big way. I love everything about this tune. All the various changes, vocal fx, it really captured my attention for sure! if this were my song, i don't think there would be anything I know how to do to make it better.. You guys get a '5' on SC from me!!!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    CreatingNoise
    RE: new tune Blood for Tears from Distant Towers 2008/06/11 21:36:34 (permalink)
    Larry, thanks for listening and thanks for the 5 stars, wow! Your comments are much appreciated. I'm glad this one worked for you. It is pretty amazing how a boring chunk of music can get transformed. Robbie and Tom really breathed life into what was a pretty dry idea. Thanks for your kind words.
    rockyrose
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: new tune Blood for Tears from Distant Towers 2008/06/11 22:02:28 (permalink)
    Love the tune!! My first thoughts were of a nine inch nails vibe. very cool songwriting and performance. super job! The talent on this board is unreal!!
    tdye
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1926
    RE: new tune Blood for Tears from Distant Towers 2008/06/11 22:47:43 (permalink)
    Tony, I hear what Shad is referencing in the chorus. Pretty busy sounding and it almost seems like maybe all the parts are not snapped into the timing quite right. I didn’t hear it towards the end of the song. Sounded great then.

Tom
    http://www.soundclick.com/tomdye
    http://www.ourstage.com/profile/tomdye
    http://twitter.com/tom_dye

Dell Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 w/HyperThreading 3.2GHz, 3 GB Ram, Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
    Sonar 8 Producer Edition, Rapture, Project5
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: new tune Blood for Tears from Distant Towers 2008/06/11 23:10:09 (permalink)
    Neat intro. very cool insturment/sound selection, I like the vocal effect, stereo pan? It cut off for me abruptly though?

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: new tune Blood for Tears from Distant Towers 2008/06/12 06:12:27 (permalink)
    nice! actually i'm the opposite of these guys...i prefer the sound in the chorus! for me the sound of the mix is a little boxy, seems to need a bit more room or sparkle? the tune is great, though, i love the vox and the guitar motifs. the drums need a bit more oomph i think. but a great foundation.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    CreatingNoise
    RE: new tune Blood for Tears from Distant Towers 2008/06/12 10:28:09 (permalink)
    shad--thanks for taking the time to coalesce your thoughts into something we could zone in on. Tom will see your input and take it into consideration. He usually does a final mix based on what he gets from the forum as far as input.

rockyrose--thanks for listening and for your kind comments.

Tom--thanks for listening and chiming in on Shad's assessment. That will help us find this better and decide what to do.

robby--thanks for taking a minute to check our tune out. We appreciate your kind assessment of the work. I'll listen in for that vocal stereo issue, thanks!

mgh--thanks for giving us a listen. Your comments and critique are appreciated very much! The guitars were so simple that I really felt like the tune was going to be a dud. Robbie and Tom busted it wide open with drums and vox. I think maybe some of the boxiness comes from the guitar parts. The effects I used were pretty dry on reverb. That could be at least part of the issue there.
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    RE: new tune Blood for Tears from Distant Towers 2008/06/13 09:17:20 (permalink)
    Thanks for the listen all!! We had a ball putting this one together and as usually Tony's "Rock" solid foundation made for a great lift off point. I've not totally addressed the mixing issues above as I really need to take a few days off to flush the sounds and then go back in. Last night I started flushing with Bass Ale and some Zappa on vinyl (Shut up and Play your Guitar). The chorus has quite a bit going on vocally and efx wise so after me brains clear I'll go back in and see what's/what. Once again thanks for you input and help. Hope you enjoyed the song as much as we did putting it out.

Tom of Distant Towers
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: new tune Blood for Tears from Distant Towers 2008/06/13 09:33:42 (permalink)
    Tony, Tom, Robbie - this is quite superb, really like this a lot. Great spooky atmosphere throughout, good groove too. Tony, you mentioned about simple guitar parts - never be afraid of those, that little phased riff in here is really excellent, just right for the song. Best yet guys!

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    CreatingNoise
    RE: new tune Blood for Tears from Distant Towers 2008/06/13 15:48:59 (permalink)
    James--Thanks so much for checking this one out. Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate your thoughts on the simple guitar parts. I'm seeing (hearing in this case) the validity of your point there for sure! I really didn't see this one coming as far as how it developed. It really does seem as if the whole is more than just the sum of the parts and this is the first time I've experienced that with a recording. Thanks for the encouragement. We are already talking about where to head next. I have a feeling these guys are going to keep pulling me into strange but cool territory that I wouldn't get to on my own. But hey, isn't that part of the fun?

I haven't gotten over to post yet but I listened to Across the Lake the other day. You and Larry are really meshing well and putting out some nice material. That was some nice key work by Larry and I love the way you get your edgy guitar sound to go right along with it. Great work on that one for sure!
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    RE: new tune Blood for Tears from Distant Towers 2008/06/16 06:56:22 (permalink)
    James - Thanks for the listen and input! BTW loved Across the Lake. We're not 100% on this one yet but overall we're pretty happy. I'll let you know whan we get her to the next level.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1