After The Violence

Author
mstodge
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 984
2008/06/11 15:27:35 (permalink)

After The Violence

Here is one of my tracks i have just re-done "After the violence" thanks to a lot of advice on this forum. Before it sounded muffled and really poor quality. After receiving advice here, i went back and removed a lot of the instruments that just wasn't needed. Like they say: less is more.

It can be found here: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6625538

I hope you like it, and if anyone has any more ideas on how to improve, it would be greatly appreciated.

I am currently re-working the other songs i have composed too.

Kind Regards

Mark.
post edited by mstodge - 2008/06/15 08:07:17

9 Replies Related Threads

CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    RE: After The Violence 2008/06/11 16:15:56 (permalink)
    Mark,
    I missed the original but this version is very majestic sounding. I think you solved the muffled issue and other quality issues you referred to because I didn't pick anything out that sounded bad. Very nice composition and arrangement.
    foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: After The Violence 2008/06/11 17:04:33 (permalink)
    Mark,

I really like this song. Very emotive.

There were a couple of things that stood out for me.

1. I found the piano a bit jarring. It seems a bit over loud... Because the strings (which are fantastic by the way) are nice and laid back, perhaps soften the piano a bit as well.

2. The kettle drums seemed to lack definition. The just did not seem to carry any sonic energy. They should hit you in the chest.

3. The percussion in general seemed overly hot. They sounded quite distorted to me.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: After The Violence 2008/06/11 17:45:03 (permalink)
    Wow--that ended way too soon! That was great! Did you record the piano live? I think it sounds really good. The strings are great too--wonderful arrangement!!! Lots of tension and I really liked the different way you played the strings. Very nice!
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: After The Violence 2008/06/11 19:13:27 (permalink)
    Mark,

Hey, I really like the composition here. However I would tend to agree with Shad's assesment regarding the mix. I think these are very minor tweaks, but they would go a long way on the end result. Keep on doin'.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    tdye
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1926
    RE: After The Violence 2008/06/11 22:12:31 (permalink)
    Mark, I don’t remember the original, may have missed it. But this is really good, clean, crisp, crystal clear. The piano is amazing, is that a sample or recorded live? Either way its impressive. Everything fits nicely together. Props.

Tom
    http://www.soundclick.com/tomdye
    http://www.ourstage.com/profile/tomdye
    http://twitter.com/tom_dye

Dell Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 w/HyperThreading 3.2GHz, 3 GB Ram, Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
    Sonar 8 Producer Edition, Rapture, Project5
    mstodge
    RE: After The Violence 2008/06/12 03:38:01 (permalink)
    Thank you all for your kind comments and advice.

The piano was played on my yamaha psr290 using Native Instruments AKOUSTIK PIANO. I do need to soften this part.
    I am really useless with drums, i've no idea how to improve on this.

Best wishes

Mark.

foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: After The Violence 2008/06/12 04:28:17 (permalink)
    Mark,

if you give us some idea about how you did them, we can probably help you fix em up. They can be a bit of a challenge.

I posted this link in another thread recently that gives you some good tips on how to use parallel compression on the drum tracks to help bring drums to life. Its a video tutorial.

http://www.mutantaudio.net/tutorials/parallel_compression_tutorial/parallel_compression_tutorial_ma.html

Cheer
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: After The Violence 2008/06/12 06:00:30 (permalink)
    yeah agree with all that's been said. it's a really great tune. there a couple of mixing twaeks needed. the strings are a bit dry, adding a reverb on a send buss and tweaking each part to a certain amount of wetness would easily sort that. Asd for the drums, just try sticking them thru a channel strip (whether vintage channel or whatever you have) and tweaking to make them come alive a little! but the tune is awesome as i said above!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    mstodge
    RE: After The Violence 2008/06/12 13:20:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: foxwolfen

Mark,

if you give us some idea about how you did them, we can probably help you fix em up. They can be a bit of a challenge.

I posted this link in another thread recently that gives you some good tips on how to use parallel compression on the drum tracks to help bring drums to life. Its a video tutorial.

http://www.mutantaudio.net/tutorials/parallel_compression_tutorial/parallel_compression_tutorial_ma.html

Cheer
    Shad

Thanks for that link Shad. I shall be trying that. The way i done it was using the drums on Dimension LE through my keyboard. I didn't tweak anything.
    Regards
    Mark.

mgh,

Thank you also for the nice comments and advice. i'm not sure what you mean by channel strip though, can you please explain further.
    Regards
    Mark.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1