Quack the Solo - Headphone Mix

Author
foxwolfen
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8256
2008/06/14 04:46:34 (permalink)

Quack the Solo - Headphone Mix

WARNING: This sounds awful through speakers - - this is why its bad to mix with headphones - but it was late.

Well, after two weeks of bending and warping the strings are now soft enough to play. Lets see what this strat can do. Howbout a Solo?

This is, like the others, all one take. No synths were used. This is one guitar and one man. What you hear is what I heard when playing it. The ending is by far my proudest moment yet in any of the songs (If you can hear it - its pretty buried) I have made. Its whats happening in the background thats important, with the base line. No tricks were used.

This is a headphone mix. It really looses a lot of the subtleties on speakers unless. Play as loud as you can stand it in the headphones. I am still working on the eq to try to bring some of those subtleties more forward if I can, and move the quacks back.

The song is part 4 in the Sinbad saga... its called "The Wave"... this is just a really bad experimental improv, but I think its cool.

SISW-The Wave
post edited by foxwolfen - 2008/06/14 14:05:08

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum

15 Replies Related Threads

Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    RE: Quack the Solo - Headphone Mix 2008/06/14 08:30:14 (permalink)
    D...did someone say QUACK?

Now that's what I call quack. And believe me, I know quack. Some quacks are more of a honk. Others are like gobble. But this, I can officially, incontrovertibly say... is a quack.

So ok now here come the obvious non-guitar-player questions. How did you play it (fingertap)? How do you get that synthy sustsain? And was this recorded using your new straight-into-the-box method, or are you using that much maligned amp of yours?

I'm picturing Sinbad, fresh from the bloody carnage of his Medusa battle, decides to stop at a duck pond and splash around with the critters. Am I even close?
    tdye
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1926
    RE: Quack the Solo - Headphone Mix 2008/06/14 09:19:04 (permalink)
    Shad, I’m not a big into quack, although I’ve been accused of being quackers. I’d have to say, this tune really quacks.

Tom
    http://www.soundclick.com/tomdye
    http://www.ourstage.com/profile/tomdye
    http://twitter.com/tom_dye

Dell Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 w/HyperThreading 3.2GHz, 3 GB Ram, Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
    Sonar 8 Producer Edition, Rapture, Project5
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Quack the Solo - Headphone Mix 2008/06/14 09:34:53 (permalink)
    Very Nice Shad! Nice tone on the git. What fx are you using? I can tell you're having fun and getting creative....Can't wait to hear when everything get's blended together..Honk, Quack,Cluck-Cluck,Quirk,Peep....Not to shabby for someone that just picked the thing up..what, two weeks ago???

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    foxwolfen
    RE: Quack the Solo - Headphone Mix 2008/06/14 13:26:54 (permalink)
    Ducky - you nailed it. Hammer ons and pulls. The synthy sustain was a combination of effects within Free Amp. Yes, directly into the box. The ll amp will not likely see the guitar again. And you are right, I went splashing with the ducks.

Tom - Thanks, it quacked me up doing it.

Larry - Yeah, I was having fun seeing what a single guitar can do. When I learn more about balancing the sounds out it should get progressively better. Its too bad the stuff that was really interesting was so deeply buried. I find the harmonics this thing can make to be remarkable.

The song bites, I know, and the timing is pretty bad (I was not really planning on recording anything for "public consumption" but this turned out better than I thought). I am going to redo this today - tone down the hammers and try a few other things. I will use a metronome (or perhaps lay down a drum track) and get the timing a lot better.

At least my fingers are not hurting as much. This song was remarkably tiring to play... my muscles are not used to these movements at all...

Thanks for humoring me guys.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Quack the Solo - Headphone Mix 2008/06/14 15:21:16 (permalink)
    my muscles are not used to these movements at all

I noticed I have less of a hard time going back to playing even after a while, since I also do some plastering walls etc - this makes for a killer strong grip. So I suggest squeezing a tennisball or something similar. Just keep pumping for a few weeks, until it goes effortlessly. That makes for a stronger grip, and easier playing too.

As to the piece - if you've only been at it for two weeks that's not half bad.
    post edited by Roflcopter - 2008/06/14 15:42:55

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Quack the Solo - Headphone Mix 2008/06/14 16:13:45 (permalink)
    Dang, Shad, can't get it play beyond 0:27..sounded nice up till then though..

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    foxwolfen
    RE: Quack the Solo - Headphone Mix 2008/06/14 16:30:19 (permalink)

Composers Forum
    CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    RE: Quack the Solo - Headphone Mix 2008/06/14 16:38:28 (permalink)
    Shad,
    Very cool auto-wah type sound there. Very clean sound, I like that a lot. That makes for a nice interlude/solo type thing. Keep up the good work!
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: Quack the Solo - Headphone Mix 2008/06/14 16:43:53 (permalink)
    Shad that was great..it quacked me up!

Fun.
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Quack the Solo - Headphone Mix 2008/06/14 17:03:22 (permalink)
    Got it Shad..nice job! Phaser, compressor, touch of chorus?

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    foxwolfen
    RE: Quack the Solo - Headphone Mix 2008/06/14 18:39:17 (permalink)
    Hehe, its pretty bad as a song, but an interesting sonic experiment.

Mild chorus, Wah, and then a Compressor. The amp settings were Bright, in the clean box and Swelter in the drive.

Composers Forum
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Quack the Solo - Headphone Mix 2008/06/14 22:24:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: foxwolfen

WARNING: This sounds awful through speakers - - this is why its bad to mix with headphones - but it was late.

Never mind the Quacks it was the sampled Herring Gulls that threw me, I thought I'd left the front door open and actually went to check muttering "them pesky birds never sleep" only to find that all was silent when I took my cans off and the door was firmly shut.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    foxwolfen
    RE: Quack the Solo - Headphone Mix 2008/06/14 22:49:56 (permalink)
    There were no samples. That was all guitar and cool pickup tricks. I discovered a real cool sound... if I play with my silver ring (as a hammer/slide), it also resonates in a really cool way (not the first to discover this I am sure).
    post edited by foxwolfen - 2008/06/14 23:12:23

Composers Forum
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Quack the Solo - Headphone Mix 2008/06/14 23:09:10 (permalink)
    Oh no, does this mean that the voices in my head are real too...

I'm sure I heard seagulls before...

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: Quack the Solo - Headphone Mix 2008/06/15 00:38:23 (permalink)
    Hey Shad,

That did sound really cool! There's definately a song incubating there. stay with it.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1