Which is the best product for guitarist???

Author
etexzan
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2008/08/14 14:28:51 (permalink)

Which is the best product for guitarist???

I'm new the software end of recording. My question is this:

What is the best product for me?

I am a guitarists that wants to record my licks and then add multiple instrumentation.

I have over 2 hours of songs and I would like to buy one peice of software that can alllow me to play and record my guitar and add bass tracks, strings, and drums. However, I DO NOT WANT SOFTWARE THAT IS LIMITED TO LOOPS!

I can read and write music and program the notes and time signatures on top of my guitar tracks.

ONCE AGAIN: WHAT SOFTWARE AM I LOOKING FOR?

THANKS

7 Replies Related Threads

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Which is the best product for guitarist??? 2008/08/14 14:57:21 (permalink)
    My recommendation is SONAR if you want to do multitrack recording and work with software synthesizer instruments. I would also recommend Project5 if you want to record a single instrument and mix it with tons of software synthesizer instruments in a powerful MIDI editor environment taylored specifically to fast generation of synth music.

Or, better yet, get the Cakewalk ProSuite which has almost all the software you will need.
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Which is the best product for guitarist??? 2008/08/14 15:00:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: techead

Or, better yet, get the Cakewalk ProSuite which has almost all the software you will need.

in the UK it works out a lot cheaper to get the pro suite..

oh and since it's guitars.. perhaps look at things like guitar rig etc. you still need a host for that though.

post edited by Fog - 2008/08/14 15:24:21
    syrath
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4075
    RE: Which is the best product for guitarist??? 2008/08/14 17:46:37 (permalink)
    I know Im a cakewalk Fanboi (inside joke), but I would definitely recommend a good look at this

http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=guitarrigsession

Audio Interface, fully featured (if cut down, although thats not a problem) Guitar Rig software with 5 amp simulations and 1 bass amp simulation (in update)

Coupled with Cubase 4 LE as a sequencer (perhaps the weakest link of the software used here, but still usable), The free Kore Player and pop drums expansion will see you though with some other instruments. Overall good value for money for a guitarist looking to start recording.

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Which is the best product for guitarist??? 2008/08/14 23:24:09 (permalink)
    It depends upon what you want to emphasis. P5 works great with loops and comes with a bunch of midi/audio ones. And it sounds like you want some general soft-synth(s), too. It is a shame you didn't pick up P5 v2, which had the original Dimension - much more control than DimLe. P5 works fine with linear recording, too, which is what you seem to be wanting to do.

I think Sonar comes with DimLe - but check the SONAR stats since it might be the Producer version. If you are not into programming it is a pretty good synth.

If you don't want to lay out money - Sonar Home Studio is a pretty good deal. Many of the same synths, as I recall, or enough to get you started. It skips some features and effects, but is a competent tool and good to learn on.

The other thing to consider is a good audio interface. If you don't have one - you'll need it to do any real recording and many now come with the light version of recording software. Cubase is fine, tho I perfer Cake. It was easy for me to pick up and understand.

But prehaps the easiest - if you come from analog, is Vegas by Sony. It is audio only, no midi, but if you are playing in hardware synths and instruments it is easy. And you can do your videos, too.

You can pick up demos of all of them online, which I would suggest, and see what works best for you.

And welcome to the forum.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: Which is the best product for guitarist??? 2008/08/16 08:42:20 (permalink)
    What's the best product for guitarists? Sheet music with real notes on staves. Oh wait, that's the worst product for guitarists.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Which is the best product for guitarist??? 2008/08/24 21:49:03 (permalink)
    Sonar 7 Producer Edition is the best. There are several Sonar DAW hosts that will do what you want that aren't as expensive, ie-Home Studio. But if you really want to broaden your horizons, get the Sonar 7 Pro Suite. Make sure your computer can handle whatever DAW host program you get.

Craig DuBuc
    Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: Which is the best product for guitarist??? 2008/08/25 17:41:00 (permalink)
    New to digital recording. Like the vibe of Sonar and its community - go with Sonar Home Studio. A great value. Becomes free when you upgrade to Sonar via the discount you'll get. Then get one kick-ass guitar processor - either in hardware or in software.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1