Best symphonic virtual instrument? GPO, MOTU, EeatWest... Any advice?

Author
Bansaw
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 116
2008/08/15 14:26:35 (permalink)

Best symphonic virtual instrument? GPO, MOTU, EeatWest... Any advice?

I am thinking about buying a good symphonic instrument and have read some reviews and heard on-line samples of GPO, MOTU and EastWest.

I'm a video editor masquerading as someone who knows something about music (!) so I consider myself no more than intermediate quality. I mean, I've played keyboard and guitar in front of an audience as part of a group but as for composing, I am somewhat new to it.
I'd like to create sound tracks for some of the videos I'm doing.

Anyway, I am considering GPO because other people recommend it and the price is right, but I am worried about spending a lot of time in post adding effects and tweaking the sound, eg: panning, reverb etc etc.
Has anyone got GPO? Is it true that to get the most out of it you've got to fiddle with it a lot in post?
And, is it true that the volume of the sound can only be controlled by the mod-wheel (not the actual key velocity) which means you've got to play one-handed?

MOTU Symphonic I heard was was not so good and hungry on resources...

EastWest I'm leaning toward because it's more "out of the box" which doesn't require me to spend lots of time in post tweaking it.
But there's so much choice, Gold version, Platinum, Platinum Pro XP(!). I'm confused as to which one to buy.

Does anyone own all three, or can give me some advice?

Thanks,,
post edited by Bansaw - 2008/08/15 15:37:41

5 Replies Related Threads

michael japan
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5252
    RE: Best symphonic virtual instrument? GPO, MOTU, EeatWest... Any advice? 2008/08/15 21:13:02 (permalink)
    I haven't heard the MOTU. I have the EWQL Symphonic Gold. It is very good right out of the box, but as all NI products can give you some problems. Since you are not pro, why don't you try the Edirol Orchestra or the GPO one for now since they are quite a bit cheaper? Orchestration is a lot about how you play things, the parts you give them, not just the tone. Another option is if you don't have a great keyboard yet and would like to have one, go down to your local music store and try out the Yamaha S90es. The orchestral tones in it are very warm, creamy, and easy to use and you get a new keyboard to boot.
    Here's a tutorial for the edirol and there are many more on youtube.

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=NRj_nLHE8uw
    post edited by michael japan - 2008/08/15 21:37:10

Windows 10/64 bit/i7-6560U/SSD/16GB RAM/Cakelab/Sonar Platinum/Pro Tools/Studio 1/Studio 192/DP88/MOTU AVB/Grace M101/AKG Various/Blue Woodpecker/SM81x2/Yamaha C1L Grand Piano/CLP545/MOX88/MOTIF XS Rack Rack/MX61/Korg CX3/Karma/Scarbee EP88s/ Ivory/Ravenscroft Piano/JBL4410/NS10m/Auratones/Omnisphere/Play Composers Selection/Waves/Komplete Kontrol
    dougsyo
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 209
    RE: Best symphonic virtual instrument? GPO, MOTU, EeatWest... Any advice? 2008/08/16 06:42:59 (permalink)
    I have GPO (Kontakt-based), Philharmonik (Sampletank-based), and the portion of VSL that's bundled with Kontakt 2. I may consider adding Kirk Hunter Sapphire (which requires Kontakt 2 or 3). Philharmonik Classik Edition is on special right now for $99, until the end of August.

EWQL is transitioning from the NI player to their "Play" interface. I don't know if Play is stable yet, and some don't like the Pace dongle copy protection. The reviews of MOTU SI on KVR were not very positive last time I looked.

Other libraries include Peter Siedlaczek's classical orchestra (Kontakt-based) and Sonivox (aka Sonic Implants) - it was GVI-based but Tascam has discontinued GS & GVI, I heard they're going to develop their own player.

One thing to be aware of is that some libraries are "dry" (no reverb etc applied), others are "wet" (natural hall reverb was used for recording the instruments). This may have an effect (pardon the pun) on your choice. IIRC GPO is "dry", EQWL and I think Philharmonik are "wet", someone correct me if I'm wrong there.

Doug

Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad.
    For a good time click http://www.belindabedekovic.com/video_fl_en.htm
    Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: Best symphonic virtual instrument? GPO, MOTU, EeatWest... Any advice? 2008/08/16 08:38:20 (permalink)
    Don't overlook Miroslav Philharmonik. Or Steinberg's Symphonic Orchestra, which , IMO, has really good sounding strings. But some users are reporting problems.

Best strings, even though you need a separate Kontakt player, are the Kirk Hunter libraries. They just smoke.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    Bansaw
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Best symphonic virtual instrument? GPO, MOTU, EeatWest... Any advice? 2008/08/16 10:22:22 (permalink)
    Thanks all... I heard that GPO has a Sonar page and that other users share their .cwp project files.
    I think this will be a good way of learning if I can look at someone else's project.

One thing that puts me off about GPO is the use of the mod wheel for volume/timbre control. :s
    Is their an option now for key-velocity or is it still that way?

As for EWQL Symphonic, there are too many different versions (Gold, Platinum, Silver etc etc) for
    me to make a decision yet.
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Best symphonic virtual instrument? GPO, MOTU, EeatWest... Any advice? 2008/08/16 22:15:00 (permalink)
    You can change any of the default settings with Kontakt, which is by the way, the finest of all the sampler/players, imho. Kontakt 3 in itself, has an bundled orchestral library that is actually quite good, and may be all you need.

As for the EastWest versions, the more precious the metal, the more it cost and the more you get. The EW Platinum is absurdly huge and has an amazing number of samples -- there's something like 12 DVDs with samples captured for every velocity for every note for every instrument for every timbre. It might take years for someone to know what they have in there.

You sound like the kind of person who just wants to make music--Gold will give you all the symphony, voice samples you'll ever need, and Silver might well be more than adequate for your needs, depending on your budget. The Platinum set seems to be made for the engineer who's focused on the most realistic sounding samples and articulations. You can do that with Kontakt 3 and EW Platinum, and that's great if it is what you want to do.

--kwgm
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1