Piano sounds on Dimenson Pro

Author
fatar760
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 17
2008/08/18 14:53:01 (permalink)

Piano sounds on Dimenson Pro

Hi,

Just wondering which patch people prefer to use for their piano sounds on Dimenson Pro. At the moment I'm using grand piano 3V M3. prog (218MB) but there seems to be a bell kind of sound at the top of it that is irritating me.

So, which piano sound do you guys tend to go for ?

9 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Piano sounds on Dimenson Pro 2008/08/18 18:49:20 (permalink)
    hello again Mike

try messing with the gain on EQ 2 if that's what you mean.. try -12 / - 15 db .. you should notice the sound change.

which octave are u on about , the high up sounds, like c5 etc?

tricky really as I use a number of things with piano sounds (that I had before getting cake pro), so it depends on the situation, on my laptop rig where the cpu is less I go for the more basic sounds that take less memory / cpu .

I use DP really for the electronic type sounds , pads, leads etc. mainly though.

fatar760
    RE: Piano sounds on Dimenson Pro 2008/08/18 19:32:18 (permalink)
    Hi Fog,

Funny you mention that about the memory . cpu. I've had problems tonight playing the files I've recorded as my VST Instrument bar was spiking due to CPU useage. I subsequently discovered that many of the piano sounds on DP seem to use up a lot of my CPU (I have a gig of RAM and 2.01 Ghz).

I'm wondering if i will be better off recording live piano into cubase and not using the piano sound on DP. Certainly when i get round to doing my next show I think my piano will be played live and all the other sounds (strings, pads, bvs) will all be recorded.

The bell sound i was referring to on that other patch was quite high up. Although I was mostly playing no higher than C4 the bell sound seemed to be ringing higher than that. I didn't want to get too much into EQ'ing anything as I want to do this when i get into the venue on wednesday and would rather vary the EQ in the space and on their desk. PLus...i don't have a decent way to monitor these sounds from here so whilst i hear the bell ringing sound here on different speakers in different surroundings i reckon they probably vanish.
    Fog
    RE: Piano sounds on Dimenson Pro 2008/08/18 20:28:07 (permalink)
    I did listen to it, "grand piano 3V M3" and the sim version? earlier..I didn't notice a bell type sound, but did notice a far lower rumble due to the gain, that went after adjusting. I'm running it thru sonar, although your have cubase if memory serves? I was too lazy to go and get my cubase dongle from upstairs to see if there was a difference, although they should play both exactly the same. I'll try tomorrow if I get a chance. There are no fx running either right?

as for the cpu , try upping your buffers / latency a bit or the samples, u run asio I assume? and the latest patch for cubase.. on my AMD x2 it made the cpu drop by a lot.. as long as you keep it within sensible bounds, say under hhmm 20-24 then you should notice an improvement in how much the cpu has to do, but thats partly to do with the VST being used and how complex a patch is (a common balancing act for anyone who uses things that test the cpu power) . do you ever use the performance bar ? off the top of my head it's f12... that's the problem with all these programs , trying to remember 1001 different short cuts.

your running a decent enough pc spec , memory wise , soundcard wise? as you don't say in ya sig or profile.
    post edited by Fog - 2008/08/18 20:57:13
    DaveClark
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 956
    RE: Piano sounds on Dimenson Pro 2008/08/19 00:10:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: fatar760

Hi,

Just wondering which patch people prefer to use for their piano sounds on Dimenson Pro. At the moment I'm using grand piano 3V M3. prog (218MB) but there seems to be a bell kind of sound at the top of it that is irritating me.

So, which piano sound do you guys tend to go for ?

Hi fatar760,

FYI: Dimension Pro version 1.2 distorts sounds at any sample rate other than 44,100 samples/second.

Regards,
    Dave Clark

fatar760
    RE: Piano sounds on Dimenson Pro 2008/08/19 04:35:53 (permalink)
    Yeh i run asio and when i had the performance bar on it was spiking very briefly which is when i was hearing the glitches in sound. It really is a quick spike that occurs. I ended up switchihng off all background progs and going to control panel - system and changing my priorities from visual to performance. These things helped but i can't remember it being this difficult in the past using extacly the same hardware and computer.

My soundcard is a E-mu 0404USB and on Cubase 4 my buffer size is 2ms and the bit depth 32-bit. THis sound ok ? Or is it this buffer size that i should increase to free up some cpu ?

as for the latest cubase patch....i have version 4.01...now i know theres a newer version out but because i use XP64 Pro I tend to have problems finding progs that work and I don't want to install an update if it's not compatible with my OS. I posted a message about this on the cubase forums but didnt really get a clear response...seemed like a guy was just trying to sell me Vista64 bit :p:

http://forum.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=764093&sid=5a17ddfb3cd02677ae002554c4af3d35

b rock
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Piano sounds on Dimenson Pro 2008/08/19 07:06:18 (permalink)
    there seems to be a bell kind of sound at the top of it that is irritating me ... The bell sound i was referring to on that other patch was quite high up. Although I was mostly playing no higher than C4 the bell sound seemed to be ringing higher than that.
    Try this:

1). Download this modified version of the Grand Piano 3v m3rd.sfz file: Grand Piano 3v m3rd [No Loop].sfz
    2). Drop it into C:\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Multisamples\01 - Grand Piano (default path).
    3). Launch Dimension Pro, and load the Grand Piano 3v m3rd [218.7 MB] preset from the Program Browser.
    4). Click on the slot that reads "grand piano 3v m3rd.sfz [218.7 MB]". This opens up the Load Multisample dialog.
    5). Navigate to 01 - Grand Piano, and load the new Grand Piano 3v m3rd [No Loop].sfz file.
    6). If content with the results, Save Program (overwriting the original), or Save Program As (under an alternate file name).
    Fog
    RE: Piano sounds on Dimenson Pro 2008/08/19 12:21:36 (permalink)
    as usual Tom (b-rock) is a mine of information . Interesting , I didn't know that.

the thing with 24 bit and 32 bit has been discussed on here in various places before Mike, I only go up to 24 bit on my machine as the difference between the 2 isn't so great. Besides mixing / dithering down things, from 24 to 16 is good enough. (although maybe others might say different) .

as for the 64 bit thing, I played it safe and stuck with 32 bit as I've got enough headaches without more.. The thing when I was doing my updates in the past, I always noticed "64 bit preview" whatever the heck a preview is.
    Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: Piano sounds on Dimenson Pro 2008/08/23 06:52:27 (permalink)
    The one I use has a "4" in the number, is pretty quick to load, and gets the job done. If I had a real powerful machine, I'd probably go for one of the dedicated piano soft-synths like Ivory or TruePianos. But for just banging out a piano part, DimPro is certainly serviceable.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    lightninrick
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 972
    RE: Piano sounds on Dimenson Pro 2008/08/24 10:15:34 (permalink)
    See this thread for a pretty good piano in soundfont (.sf2) format for under $20:
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1454873

You can convert this piano to .sfz format using sfzedit.

Regards, lightninrick
    post edited by lightninrick - 2008/08/24 10:16:49
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1