mark4man
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 700
2008/08/22 23:08:34 (permalink)

Dumb Melodyne Bridge Question

OK...

...here's the question:

How does it freakin' work ???

What I want to do is...I want to select a segment of audio in a SONAR track (normally vox)...& bridge it to Cre8 to correct the pitch. Can this be done...???...because...even in following the directions...that's not working either (that is...inserting the plug-in in the track's FX bin as the 1st plug-in; & then sending). Nothing gets sent...I never have any audio opening in Cre8.

What gives...anybody know?

Thanks,

mark4man

ADK Pro Audio Core 2 | Intel DP35DP MoBo/Chipset | Intel Q6600 Quad Core CPU | 4 GB SuperTalent DDR2-800 CL5 RAM | Seagate 160 GB SATA II Primary HD | Western Digital 320 GB SATA II Audio HD | Win XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Aurora8 ~ AES16 | Echo Audio Layla24 | Universal Audio UAD-1 | SONAR PE 7.0.1 | WaveLab 5.0.1 | GEAR PRO Mastering 7

6 Replies Related Threads

RTGraham
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1824
    RE: Dumb Melodyne Bridge Question 2008/08/22 23:31:15 (permalink)
    I'm guessing that you've already tried this, since you said you followed the directions, BUT - just in case you overlooked it:

Did you insert MelodyneBridge as a DXi softsynth (as opposed to an audio effect)?

Once you inserted MelodyneBridge as a softsynth, did you click "Transfer" in the plugin window before starting playback in SONAR?

Did you assign the bridge to a Melodyne track (drop-down list in the upper-right-hand corner of the bridge window) before starting playback in SONAR?

Did you make sure Melodyne was open and running with a new arrangement, with at least one track in the arrangement, before starting playback in SONAR?

All of the above conditions need to be true - all at the same time - before pressing "play" in SONAR to do the transfer to Melodyne. If you haven't missed any of these points, and it's still not working, then maybe there's something wrong with the way the MelodyneBridge is configured in the plugin manager.

Just as a couple of additional points, when you first insert the bridge, it should cause Melodyne to automatically open; at this point, you will probably want to start a new arrangement in Melodyne, so that you can save the arrangement and thus specify where the arrangement stores its audio. You'll also want to make sure you save frequently in Melodyne as you work on your corrections, because it's a completely separate file from whatever's open in SONAR at the time. They're linked by the bridge, but as far as saving changes they're independent.

Hope that helps.

~~~~~~~~~~
    Russell T. Graham
    Keys, Vocals, Songwriting, Production
    russell DOT graham AT rtgproductions DOT com
    www DOT myspace DOT com SLASH russelltgraham
    mark4man
    RE: Dumb Melodyne Bridge Question 2008/08/28 21:55:03 (permalink)
    Russell...

Sorry it took me so long to get back.

Did you insert MelodyneBridge as a DXi softsynth (as opposed to an audio effect)?

Yes...but not by opening the synth rack...by right clicking in the FX Bin of the audio track I need to perform pitch correction in.

Once you inserted MelodyneBridge as a softsynth, did you click "Transfer" in the plugin window before starting playback in SONAR?

Yep.

Did you assign the bridge to a Melodyne track (drop-down list in the upper-right-hand corner of the bridge window) before starting playback in SONAR?

The track I inserted into wasn't there...it was 9...but the list only went to 8. So I left it blank.

Did you make sure Melodyne was open and running with a new arrangement, with at least one track in the arrangement, before starting playback in SONAR?

Yep.

And then I hit playback in SONAR; & stop; & no notes/blobs appear in Cre8.

Thanks,

mark4man

SWANG
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 191
    RE: Dumb Melodyne Bridge Question 2008/08/28 22:03:48 (permalink)
    OT:

hey, russell! swang here (from dean vali's band)...

...nice to see you here. long time, man. hope all is well. speak soon...

sorry to take your thread off topic, mark.
    post edited by SWANG - 2008/08/28 22:04:30
    mark4man
    RE: Dumb Melodyne Bridge Question 2008/08/29 15:08:51 (permalink)
    UPDATE:

The track I inserted into wasn't there...it was 9...but the list only went to 8. So I left it blank.

Tried it w/ a track I was able to assign...but still no go.

mark4man
    RTGraham
    RE: Dumb Melodyne Bridge Question 2008/10/24 15:43:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mark4man

Russell...

Sorry it took me so long to get back.

Yes...but not by opening the synth rack...by right clicking in the FX Bin of the audio track I need to perform pitch correction in.

Yep.

Yep.

And then I hit playback in SONAR; & stop; & no notes/blobs appear in Cre8.

Thanks,

mark4man

Swang just brought me back on-topic on this thread - didn't realize I never followed up. Sorry.

I believe (but you should check this in the Melodyne manual) that the MelodyneBridge has a limit on how many tracks it will bridge at once. Once you've reached that limit (and it might be 8), you have to disable the bridge for the tracks that are already done. This is somewhat convoluted. I used to do the following:

1) Enable the bridge for my first eight tracks.
    2) Create and save the new arrangement in Melodyne.
    3) Transfer the tracks from SONAR to Melodyne.
    4) Disable the bridge in those eight SONAR tracks.
    5) IMPORTANT: Exit the SONAR project, and exit Melodyne, because...
    6) You must run Melodyne in standalone mode to be able to re-order tracks. If the bridge is active, track order is locked.
    7) In Standalone mode, insert eight new tracks into the TOP of the Melodyne arrangement. The bridge will only access the *first* bank of tracks.
    8) Exit Melodyne, re-open the SONAR project, and start bridging your next bank of tracks.

It's really quite convoluted, and Celemony should come up with a more versatile and complete bridge system. In the interim, I've stopped using the bridge completely. Instead, I export all of my tracks to be edited, to individual files (in SONAR's Audio Export dialog, select Tracks as the source; I usually just send them out in mono, all starting at the beginning of the project), and then use Melodyne's Import feature (in standalone mode) to bring them all into the arrangement at once. MUCH quicker. Then I just do all my work in Melodyne, save the audio to new WAV files, and bring them back into SONAR. The transfers are all significantly faster than doing it in real time through the bridge.

Hope that helps. Sorry it took a month and a half to finally answer you.

~~~~~~~~~~
    Russell T. Graham
    Keys, Vocals, Songwriting, Production
    russell DOT graham AT rtgproductions DOT com
    www DOT myspace DOT com SLASH russelltgraham
    RTGraham
    RE: Dumb Melodyne Bridge Question 2008/10/24 15:46:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SWANG

OT:

hey, russell! swang here (from dean vali's band)...

...nice to see you here. long time, man. hope all is well. speak soon...

sorry to take your thread off topic, mark.

WHOA!!! There you are!!!

I completely missed your message when you posted it - if I get real busy, I disappear from the forum for a while. Looking at the dates in this thread, I was probably right in the middle of the DNC gig. Sorry to leave you hanging.

And great playing with you last night - you're a fantastic performer.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1