What sound card and speakers to buy???

Author
46and_2
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20
2008/08/26 10:53:02 (permalink)

What sound card and speakers to buy???

We have a small sound studio in a converted bedroom of our house. We practice as a 4 person band with a drummer, bass, 2 guitars, organ, microkorg and a few other little goodies here and there. I recently decided to upgrade our recording device (was using a Fostex MKII 8 track digital recorder that can only record 2 inputs at a time). I purchased a Alesis Multimix 8 USB (older version, non usb 2.0) and found the limiting factor to be the 2 stereo outputs via the USB cable to the recording software I was using.

Through research I have determined that we want to go the firewire route. I am looking for a Multimix 8, 12 or 16 firewire now.

So here's the question. What sound card should I get? Obviously it will need to have a firewire input, but other than that, can someone recommend a good sound card that also has great speaker sound output? I also would like recommendations on a computer speaker system. I would like to have a computer speaker system that I could also run our MicroKorg through as well.

Regarding the sound card, there is one hitch, it has to be a regular PCI card ( I don't have PCI-E on my recording computer ). Don't know how much of a difference this makes on a sound card?

So please, any and all, what are your recommendations on a PCI sound card that has a firewire port, and speakers to complement the new sound card? I'm looking to spend somewhere between $200-$300 for the sound card and speakers (wouldn't mind spending less if there is something good out there for a good price).

Thanks

- Ray

10 Replies Related Threads

DW_Mike
    Max Output Level: -6 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6907
    RE: What sound card and speakers to buy??? 2008/08/26 12:19:49 (permalink)
    The Multimix is a sound card (interface). All you will need is a decent set of active (powered) monitors.
    I also record full bands and another board you should look into is the Mackie Onyx. I have the 1640 w/firewire and love it. The onyx pre's are very nice and clean.

Mike

Sonar X3 ~ Scarlett 18i6 ~ Home Build DAW  
    GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
    32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite (4x8) 
    2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
    1TB WD Black HDD @ 7200RPM 6Gb/s 64MB 
    Corsair H80i Liquid cooler 
    Noctua Silent Fans ~ 3x120mm ~ 1x140mm 
    Seasonic Platinum 760w PSU 
    Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.
    46and_2
    RE: What sound card and speakers to buy??? 2008/08/26 12:55:34 (permalink)
    Yeah, that Mackie Onyx is really nice (unfortunately it's 5 times as much). I may go with something like that for the future.

Glad you brought up Monitors. Is there a speaker/monitor setup I can use with the mixer, the computer sound card and for the MicroKorg? What type would you recommend?

I have to get a new sound card for the computer anyways ( It doesn't have a firewire port right now ), So the question is, are all firewire sound cards created equal? If not, what are ya'll using?

- Ray
    Ron Vogel
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    RE: What sound card and speakers to buy??? 2008/08/26 16:47:19 (permalink)
    It's sounds to me like you have a specific budget in mind. If price is an issue there are a few choices. An M-audio 1010lt would be a nice budget choice. You can get them for $199-230 new; or just watch ebay for used. I was able to snag one for $70, and am very happy with it.

For your purposes with live recording, a mixer/card combo will probably save you in the long run. The Mackie seems to be the standard quality choice (I don't have the money for it either), but you may want to buy a budget or used one to tinker with before you think you may need the power of the Mackie.

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
    Ron Vogel Soundclick page
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: What sound card and speakers to buy??? 2008/08/26 16:59:23 (permalink)
    For sound cards. I would go with one of these 4: Edirol, Motu, Echo, or RME
    For monitors, well whats your budget. I have a pair of JBL, but they cost over a grand. also, monitors are subjective, so i would definitly go with a name brand like events or dynaudio and take them home and listen to them in your enviroment.
    Do not skinp on monitors, these are important.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    46and_2
    RE: What sound card and speakers to buy??? 2008/08/26 17:44:18 (permalink)
    Hmmmm... I like the idea of the M-audio 1010lt (just checked it out on ebay). that would eliminate my need for the multimix firewire unit which would run a little more anyways. I also read that you can add additional M-audio cards to give you more inputs (need to check to see how many pci slots i still have available).

As far as the budget is concerned, I was thinking $200-300 just for a new sound card (meaning sound blaster pci card with a firewire interface just to get the multimix firewire unit to connect to the computer) and speakers. The Mixer I was thinking another $200, so $500 total.

I have been reading non stop for the past 3 days on different forums and have learned enough to be dangerous and want more and more knowledge. Brain is starting to hurt, may have to take the rest of the day off and let some of this set in.

Thank you guys for all your input.

Cj I will take a look at those sound cards. My requirements are at least 8 independent tracks (mixture of XLR and 1/4 inch) to be broken out via Music Creator 4 so I can play with each individual track.

thx for the monitor suggestions too.

- Ray
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: What sound card and speakers to buy??? 2008/08/26 20:10:24 (permalink)
    Start cruising ebay, craigslist and any other for-sale venues where musicians frequent.

There are some things you don't want to buy used, e.g. microphones, but for some other things it's definitely the way to go. Reference monitors are one of those things.

Everybody ends up upgrading their monitors eventually, assuring a steady supply of second-hand entry-level speakers. Unlike band gear that gets thrown around a lot, studio monitors spend their lives on a desk and will still be 100% functional after a couple years' use.

Seriously, buy your monitors second-hand if you can. You'll be able to afford better ones that way, and monitors are far and away the most important component in your entire setup - the one area you do not want to "scrinp", to quote CJ :)

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: What sound card and speakers to buy??? 2008/08/26 21:31:25 (permalink)
    As far as the budget is concerned, I was thinking $200-300 just for a new sound card (meaning sound blaster pci card with a firewire interface just to get the multimix firewire unit to connect to the computer)

Reread Mikes post above. The Multi-mix is your sound card. You don't need another one to plug it in.
    If you don't have a firewire port, you can get a PCI card with firewire ports on it. That's all you need to get connected.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    46and_2
    RE: What sound card and speakers to buy??? 2008/08/27 17:53:46 (permalink)
    At closer look, I don't think the M-audio 1010lt is going to cut it. I would love to have 6 xlr w/ phantom power and 6 1/4 inch (3 stereo), but minimum requirements are 4 xlr and 4 1/4 inch.

bitflipper, I have been looking on ebay for a week or so now, checking completed items and such to get an idea of what things go for. The one thing I have noticed is that the good stuff (like Mackie) holds its value very well. As far as the speakers go, I will try and be patient to get a good set of used ones this way.

Robert, I'm watching a PCI card with a firewire interface, with the Texas Instruments chipset right now (on ebay).

Thanks everyone for your help.
    post edited by 46and_2 - 2008/08/27 17:56:30
    michael japan
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5252
    RE: What sound card and speakers to buy??? 2008/09/06 07:58:19 (permalink)
    I have large monitors (JBL 4412) and NS10M's but wanted something for tracking that you cna listen to for hours and translates the bass/treble well. Go try these out. Soundcard--I would go for a MOTU if you have the budget. It will last and last and you will never question if it is good enough.

http://store.fplstore.com/krk-v4ii.html

Windows 10/64 bit/i7-6560U/SSD/16GB RAM/Cakelab/Sonar Platinum/Pro Tools/Studio 1/Studio 192/DP88/MOTU AVB/Grace M101/AKG Various/Blue Woodpecker/SM81x2/Yamaha C1L Grand Piano/CLP545/MOX88/MOTIF XS Rack Rack/MX61/Korg CX3/Karma/Scarbee EP88s/ Ivory/Ravenscroft Piano/JBL4410/NS10m/Auratones/Omnisphere/Play Composers Selection/Waves/Komplete Kontrol
    46and_2
    RE: What sound card and speakers to buy??? 2008/09/24 12:51:27 (permalink)
    Well I finally made some purchases.

BX5A's for the monitors for now (have a very small space, so this was taken into consideration).

Purchased a PCI firewire card which will be used in conjunction with the Mackie ONYX 1220 w/ firewire card option. I can't wait to get it (guy mailed it on Monday).

Very excited for the things to come in the near future.

The BX5A's sound really really nice. I'm currently using them through my Alesis multitrack 8 and WOW, what a difference in sound from some crappy $10 logitech speakers.

Thanks again everyone for all your advice.

I'm sure I'll have many more questions here in the near future.

- Ray
    post edited by 46and_2 - 2008/09/24 12:53:26
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1