gear for recording acoustic guitar

Author
bennym
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 118
2008/08/27 00:42:22 (permalink)

gear for recording acoustic guitar

i'm looking at the following gear for recording acoustic guitar (primarily). rode nt 5 condensor pair and either a presonus blue tube pre or an art mpa gold pre. these are within my price range of about $7-800. any opinions about this or other ideas in this price range would be greatly appreciated (i really cannot go over $800 for everything). thanks so much in advance!

ben

7 Replies Related Threads

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: gear for recording acoustic guitar 2008/08/27 01:44:39 (permalink)
    Hi Ben,

Not sure what you're currently using for an audio interface...
    But you might want to checkout the MOTU 8-Pre and a pair of Studio Projects B3 mics.
    The B3 is inexpensive... but sounds really good on acoustic guitar.
    It's a large diaphragm condenser... but the diaphragm is thin.
    You get the "size" of using a large diaphragm mic... but transient response is closer to a small diaphragm condenser.

You can capture some nice tracks with this combination...

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    bennym
    RE: gear for recording acoustic guitar 2008/08/28 10:20:29 (permalink)
    jim,

i'm using an m audio 410 right now, but another future purchase would be a new interface with more inputs, and the motu 8 pre is at the top of my list. (do you think the pre's on the motu would negate the need to get a separate pre for adding more tube warmth such as the art mpa gold?)

also, do you have any opinions on the studio projects C4's as opposed to the B3's that you recommend for acoustics? any thoughts you have about any of this would be much appreciated! thanks a bunch!
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: gear for recording acoustic guitar 2008/08/28 11:20:37 (permalink)
    i'm using an m audio 410 right now, but another future purchase would be a new interface with more inputs, and the motu 8 pre is at the top of my list. (do you think the pre's on the motu would negate the need to get a separate pre for adding more tube warmth such as the art mpa gold?)

also, do you have any opinions on the studio projects C4's as opposed to the B3's that you recommend for acoustics? any thoughts you have about any of this would be much appreciated! thanks a bunch!

FWIW, I wouldn't worry about tube pre-amps...
    Quality tube preamps that have a lot of character start at ~$1500 for two channels.
    With lower cost units you're better off with solid state (cleaner/quieter).

The MOTU 8-pre's onboard pre-amps are pretty decent.
    They aren't a replacement for high-end preamps (Neve, Focusrite ISA, Avalon, Manley, etc... as they won't add or enhance character) but they're more than capable of capturing good sounding tracks.

The transient response from a small diaphragm mic like the C4 will tend to be more accurate than a large diaphragm mic (less mass to get moving). However, the B3 has a 3 micron diaphragm (instead of the typical 6 micron)... so it responds a bit faster than a typical large diaphragm mic. You generally get more perceived "size" from a large diaphragm mic.
    The B3 is sort of a hybrid in that it captures a bit more size/warmth (due to the large diaphragm)... but has transient response that's closer to a small diaphram condenser.
    If at all possible, audition both the B3 and C4. The C4 will tend to be brighter with less low end response.
    The B3 will be smoother/fuller. The B3 is definitely the more versatile of the two mics.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    KenJr
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 742
    RE: gear for recording acoustic guitar 2008/08/28 13:36:12 (permalink)
    IMHO, don't waste your money on the BlueTube...I bought it when I was first putting my studio together and was extremely unimpressed. Save your money and invest in a nice mic-pre...you won't regret it. As Jim said - you are looking in the ~$1200+ range to find something you won't want to put on eBay 10 minutes after you turn it on.

You don't mention anything about what interface you are using. If it's not a very good one - your best bet is to spend that $$ that...get something with some nice converters (RME, MOTU) and you will notice a marked improvement in your sound.

From there, insert a nice compressor (personally, I love the UAD Fairchild on acoustic guitar), a little EQ (low cut to roll out the bottom and tweak to taste in the mids) and a bit of verb to put the guitar where you want in the mix.

I'd X/Y the stereo pair and stick em around the 12th fret a couple feet away and move around to taste.

My Gear/Studio Pics
    My Music

<--Yes, that's a Paul Reed Smith acoustic...and I want one!!
    bennym
    RE: gear for recording acoustic guitar 2008/08/28 21:23:16 (permalink)
    thanks so much for all the great info! i think i'll give the B3's a try and save up for a descent pre. i really appreciate all of your help! ben
    donhearl
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 380
    RE: gear for recording acoustic guitar 2008/08/28 21:35:35 (permalink)
    Hi Ben,

I second the "no go" on the Blue Tube. It's most certainly a color box, and might possibly be useful as an effect. I have one, and actually get cool textures with it in that capacity, or as absolute last choice for a general purpose pre. For nice acoustic recording, I've never had much luck, though.

Here's to good recording. have fun.

Regards,

Sonar 8.3.1, Core 2 Quad Q9300, 4 GB DDR2 ram, 4 X 500 GB Sata II 32 mb drives, Lynx Aurora 16, RME FF800, 2XUAD-1 PCIe
    michael japan
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5252
    RE: gear for recording acoustic guitar 2008/09/06 07:54:28 (permalink)
    I would suggest for acoustic guitar not to use a tube. I love tube with my AKG 414 for vocal. For acoustic I use an SM81 and a Joe Meek One Q. The AKG C451 is a great mic for guitars/overheads--used one for years but lost it when dividing the studio between owners.

Windows 10/64 bit/i7-6560U/SSD/16GB RAM/Cakelab/Sonar Platinum/Pro Tools/Studio 1/Studio 192/DP88/MOTU AVB/Grace M101/AKG Various/Blue Woodpecker/SM81x2/Yamaha C1L Grand Piano/CLP545/MOX88/MOTIF XS Rack Rack/MX61/Korg CX3/Karma/Scarbee EP88s/ Ivory/Ravenscroft Piano/JBL4410/NS10m/Auratones/Omnisphere/Play Composers Selection/Waves/Komplete Kontrol
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1