Newbie/ disaster so far

Author
vmarc7
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2008/08/29 03:21:02 (permalink)

Newbie/ disaster so far

I am fairly proficient in Nuendo. I recently bought a computer with Sonar 6 and 7 installed....so I thought I would give Sonar a try. I'm getting tons of pops especially with more than one track. I have ASIO VSL 2020 sound card. Can someone tell me how to set all this up? The only time anything sounds normal is on Sonar 6 with only one track and using WMD driver and playing back on VSL 2020.

28 Replies Related Threads

Legion
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1986
    RE: Newbie/ disaster so far 2008/08/29 04:43:43 (permalink)
    That sounds very strange. What are your computer specs? I've been running both sonar 6 and 7 on a single core AMD64 3500+ for a long time without problems using many tracks of vst-synths and effects without problems. Post your specs and some screendumps on your settings.

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
    edentowers
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1164
    RE: Newbie/ disaster so far 2008/08/29 05:46:14 (permalink)
    Make sure you have the latest patches from the Cakewalk site. You should have 7.03 installed.

You could always try a reinstall and then reprofile your audio drivers.

S8PE, Dell XPS 720 (Q6600), XP Pro SP2, Edirol UA-101
    DonM
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4129
    RE: Newbie/ disaster so far 2008/08/29 06:03:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: vmarc7

I am fairly proficient in Nuendo. I recently bought a computer with Sonar 6 and 7 installed....so I thought I would give Sonar a try. I'm getting tons of pops especially with more than one track. I have ASIO VSL 2020 sound card. Can someone tell me how to set all this up? The only time anything sounds normal is on Sonar 6 with only one track and using WMD driver and playing back on VSL 2020.

The pops and clicks could be caused by the lack of compliance with Sonar's license transfer.

-D

syrath
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4075
    RE: Newbie/ disaster so far 2008/08/29 06:10:07 (permalink)
    Try switching to an ASIO driver, and although I doubt DonMs explaination is accurate, he does have a point, if you bought a computer with Sonar 6 or 7 installed and its registered then you technically shouldnt be using it since license to use the program is still with the original owner. Of course you may have bought from a DAW pc manufacturer in which case you can register the software.
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Newbie/ disaster so far 2008/08/29 07:20:08 (permalink)
    I recently bought a computer with Sonar 6 and 7 installed....

Thats very strange. I hiope you got the manual from the person you bought it from
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: Newbie/ disaster so far 2008/08/29 08:38:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

I recently bought a computer with Sonar 6 and 7 installed....

Thats very strange. I hiope you got the manual from the person you bought it from
    Cj

...and the installation discs, and the serial number and registration codes,...

Aside from that, the VSL 2020 is a piece of crap dinosaur developed by Steinberg (primarily as a means of networking multiple DAW computers)...Suggest you get a new soundcard...maybe even a new computer...

Regards,
    Papa
    DonM
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4129
    RE: Newbie/ disaster so far 2008/08/29 10:34:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: syrath

Try switching to an ASIO driver, and although I doubt DonMs explaination is accurate

S:
    I'm busted! You're right - sometimes points are inaccurate! Similarly your spelling of explanation.

-D

Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: Newbie/ disaster so far 2008/08/29 11:29:04 (permalink)

FWIW, If your system is a relatively current build (ie: Core2Quad), the VSL2020 won't work properly in the motherboard.
    If the system is an older build, try using the ASIO driver. The VSL2020 worked extremely well (ASIO driver) in older systems...

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    vmarc7
    RE: Newbie/ disaster so far 2008/08/29 12:01:16 (permalink)
    Wow! Thanks for all the replies. Let me reititate. I obtained this computer from a very reputable music producer. It's a couple of years old. It is equipped with Nuendo 3 and VSL 2020. It also has SONAR 6 and 7. Nuendo runs beautifully with the VSL 2020. I opened up Sonar 7 and recorded a simple acoustic guitar track no problem. Played it back and got intermittent pops and bumps. Admittedly I haven't taken the time to thoroughly read the SONAR manual.
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: Newbie/ disaster so far 2008/08/29 12:31:06 (permalink)
    I thought Sonar was non-transferable.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    papa2004
    RE: Newbie/ disaster so far 2008/08/29 12:41:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

Cakewalk probably makes exceptions when very reputable music producers want to upgrade to a newer system and sell their old one. D'ya think?

Where the hell is Rick Ashton when you need him!!???

Regards,
    Papa
    space_cowboy
    RE: Newbie/ disaster so far 2008/08/29 12:53:38 (permalink)
    Dude (oops - not dude - guy) People sent me a ton of hate mail over the Rick Roll. I did not mean to hurt anyone. At worst, you had to listen to 3 minutes of a mediocre 80s song. No bugs. No spyware. Just Rick and his big hit.

I have made an oath. I repeat it 5 x a day.
    I will no longer have a sense of humor.

Oops, that is six. I guess i can sleep a bit later tomorrow.

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    papa2004
    RE: Newbie/ disaster so far 2008/08/29 13:09:00 (permalink)
    *LOL* You didn't get any hate-mail from me...(if you recall, I actually came to your defense initially when you were accused of linking to a "virus")...I never opened the link because by the time I saw it the "virus" accusation had already been posted.

Probably would have "freaked me out" at first if I had opened it, but I'd like to think I would have eventually (after a minute or so) resorted to Ctrl+Alt+Delete to end the misery I would have been experiencing listening to Mr. Ashton's performance.

Regards,
    Papa
    space_cowboy
    RE: Newbie/ disaster so far 2008/08/29 14:23:47 (permalink)
    Yeah you didnt give me a hard time. I know who my fans are. True, I have an odd sense of humor but I am harmless and would never post a virus or other threat.

Personally when I was first Rick Rolled, I laughed at it. I have actually watched the video a bunch of times since then.

space_cowboy
    RE: Newbie/ disaster so far 2008/08/29 14:40:22 (permalink)
    Papa
    The Rick Roll prank is one that is very widely used, but evidently not well known in Sonar land. The thought that you cannot close the window with the song in it is the prank I guess.

Personally, I wish they would do one for this

WARNING - THIS HAS DAVID HASSELHOFF SINGING.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3382491587979249836
    It is from Google. It does not have viruses or anythng, but it could make you puke.

vmarc7
    RE: Newbie/ disaster so far 2008/09/05 22:37:25 (permalink)
    I got back together with my mentor and we found the problem. What it came down to was I was running my Sonar projects from the wrong drive. Running on scuzzy drive now. No problems.
    kmillah
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 84
    RE: Newbie/ disaster so far 2008/09/07 16:49:23 (permalink)
    Ok, I think I got this from a topic on here somewhere..... In Europe (I'm in England so that is close enough!) the licencing agreement works a little differently. Now don't get me wrong, I bought Sonar 6PE new from a shop, with all the legitimate documents.

Maybe it's a cultural difference but I don't see why I'd be remotely happy being told that I wasn't allowed to sell my Gibson Les Paul due to my licencing agreement. If I have bought Sonar then it is mine to do (legally) what I want with. Not make copies or anything else, but why can't I sell it? I know you agree to the terms and conditions when installing, but I never read them! I know they also put restrictions on resale in books too but you can go into a second hand book store and buy what you like.

Not that I'm going to sell my copy of Sonar, but I just object to the restrictions imposed.
    ew
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1837
    RE: Newbie/ disaster so far 2008/09/07 17:08:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kmillah

Maybe it's a cultural difference but I don't see why I'd be remotely happy being told that I wasn't allowed to sell my Gibson Les Paul due to my licencing agreement. If I have bought Sonar then it is mine to do (legally) what I want with. Not make copies or anything else, but why can't I sell it? I know you agree to the terms and conditions when installing, but I never read them! I know they also put restrictions on resale in books too but you can go into a second hand book store and buy what you like.

Why? Because you don't own the software; you own a license to use it. Think of the corollary as- let's say you've been to law school. By your argument, you should be able to sell your license to practice law...

ew
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Newbie/ disaster so far 2008/09/07 17:54:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: papa2004

Where the hell is Rick Ashton when you need him!!???

Probably looking for Rick Astley

HERE HE IS

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

SteveJL
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4644
    RE: Newbie/ disaster so far 2008/09/07 18:08:22 (permalink)

I bought Sonar 6PE new from a shop, with all the legitimate documents.

Ahhhhhh, OK, you can go.. But, vat about himmmmm? Veeeeee need papers.....NOW!

SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Newbie/ disaster so far 2008/09/07 18:10:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveJL

I bought Sonar 6PE new from a shop, with all the legitimate documents.

Ahhhhhh, OK, you can go.. But, vat about himmmmm? Veeeeee need papers.....NOW!

Steve, your German accent is much more convincing than mein

robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: Newbie/ disaster so far 2008/09/07 18:27:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

+1

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: Newbie/ disaster so far 2008/09/07 18:30:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ew

Why? Because you don't own the software; you own a license to use it. Think of the corollary as- let's say you've been to law school. By your argument, you should be able to sell your license to practice law...

ew

Ed Zackery... Cake spells this out very clearly when you install the software. But it's one of those screens that people wiz past, accept accept accept Ah there's the one I was looking for!! INSTALL!!!

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    kmillah
    RE: Newbie/ disaster so far 2008/09/08 12:42:28 (permalink)
    Well I'm simply arguing for the sake of it, but I don't see the similarity to selling a licence to practice law. That is a skill/trade that you've learnt and is not a product that you've purchased (well I hope not, seems to happen online apparently!!!).

Yes, it clearly states in the licence this fact but I can't accept it as law in my country. It just seriously annoys me, sorry. I'm buying the software, not the licence in my opinion and if I don't want it anymore I can sell it. Like I said earlier I don't think the licence law applies the same here, although I still want it and have no intention of selling it so it's all a bit rhetorical........

torhan
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4271
    RE: Newbie/ disaster so far 2008/09/08 12:49:57 (permalink)

Well I'm simply arguing for the sake of it, but I don't see the similarity to selling a licence to practice law. That is a skill/trade that you've learnt and is not a product that you've purchased (well I hope not, seems to happen online apparently!!!).

But if you were to sell your law license, you are still retaining the "knowledge." Unless you visit Rekall, Inc.

Sonar Platinum
    Premier Tracks
    ASCAP
    plainfaced
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1617
    RE: Newbie/ disaster so far 2008/09/08 12:56:26 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: vmarc7

I got back together with my mentor and we found the problem. What it came down to was I was running my Sonar projects from the wrong drive. Running on scuzzy drive now. No problems.

So the reputable music producer had the PC to be setup with the projects on a scuzzy drive???
    hmm.. He must be good..

Sonar Professional | Reason 8 | Propellerheads Balance | Windows 10
    kmillah
    RE: Newbie/ disaster so far 2008/09/08 15:24:56 (permalink)
    Yeah, but if I sell my driving licence I am still "capable" of driving a car, just not legally. The purchaser of the licence has the licence but not the ability to drive. The main cost of learning to drive (or practice law) is the education and examination. The actual licensing fee is minimal.

If I sell Sonar, I still retain the knowledge of how to use it (however limited that is!!) but I am not capable of using it as I no longer have it. The ability (or lack of) is mine to keep. The cost of the software includes the licence but does not include education. It is not an administrative fee providing you with a bit of paper allowing you to be a producer or studio engineer.

Don't I sound like a right miserable git?

SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Newbie/ disaster so far 2008/09/08 18:00:53 (permalink)

Don't I sound like a right miserable git?

No, not a bit - it makes a lot of sense with that analogy Kev.

Steve

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1