Evening--re-re-mix

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
ed_mcg
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2741
RE: Evening 2008/09/07 11:06:15 (permalink)
Janet, very sweet tune.

On the mix / production, I'd suggest getting a better set of drum samples, the snare in particular.

I'd like to make a comment on you compositional approach, the melodic line essentially starts at the beginning and goes continuously through; I think more use of breaks in the line for phrasing would highlight the melody.

But overall, very nice and well played.
Mamabear
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8954
RE: Evening 2008/09/07 21:46:05 (permalink)
Larry--yes, my sentiments exactly. I may revisit this sometime, but I'm ready to be done with it. I wasn't that excited about the tune in the first place and now I'm really sick of it!

Dan--What's perfectspace? And yes, others have complained about my flutes and violins being too high. For some reason I always gravitate to that octave. Maybe I'll bring them down for the next tune.

Ron--couldn't the same thing be done in PRV (just dragging the midi notes over)? I'll have to look at that sometime. Thanks.

Ed--good idea about the drums. If I ever go back to this song, I'll try to remember to change that snare. And yes, it's not my favorite composition. I just put it together one night when I had something on my mind. Should have worked on those basics more before I added all the instrumentation. Next time. Thanks for listening!

post edited by Mamabear - 2008/09/07 21:47:32
dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
RE: Evening 2008/09/07 22:09:16 (permalink)
Perfectspace is a plugin that comes with Sonar to recreate the ambient reverb of a real place. I just assumed you already have it. Does the version of Sonar you use come with a reverb plugin?

Regards,
Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
Mamabear
RE: Evening 2008/09/07 22:13:25 (permalink)
Thanks, Dan. I have the Classic reverb and also KarmaFX Reverb, neither of which has perfect space as a choice in their presets. I'm not sure what reverbs came with Sonar.
dcumpian
RE: Evening 2008/09/07 22:15:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mamabear

Thanks, Dan. I have the Classic reverb and also KarmaFX Reverb, neither of which has perfect space as a choice in their presets. I'm not sure what reverbs came with Sonar.

Perfectspace isn't a preset, it's a separate plugin. But that doesn't really matter, my real point was to try experimenting with different plugs to beef up your drums. Just don't overdo it (like I sometimes have been known to).

Regards,
Dan

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
Mamabear
RE: Evening 2008/09/07 22:19:26 (permalink)
OK, thanks. I'll try that. It's still such a struggle to even find BEATS that sound good that I haven't tried going beyond that much. Perhaps that should be my next mountain to try to scale!
Jonbouy
  • Total Posts : 22562
RE: Evening 2008/09/07 22:35:53 (permalink)

It's still such a struggle to even find BEATS that sound good that I haven't tried going beyond that much. Perhaps that should be my next mountain to try to scale!

Janet

I feel your pain...

http://www.toontrack.com/ezplayer_free.asp

You have to register but it is painless then once you log in to download you get some free beats with it, then if you rummage through the folders in there you'll find another bundle of beats called the 'Jacker Pack' too.

You can use it with any midi beats you have already and you can use it with any drum sampler too. I don't use EZDrummer or Superior but I use this gizmo all the time.

HTH

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
jwnicholson
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 386
RE: Evening--re-re-mix 2008/09/08 07:32:18 (permalink)
Nice composition and piano piano playing.
tyacko
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1190
RE: Evening--re-re-mix 2008/09/08 08:26:31 (permalink)
Mamabear,

Great piano work. I can feel the emotion you put into the this song. I know you've been working on this one for a bit (now on the third page of the forum), so forgive me if this is a "oh, no not another suggestion".

I think the kick drum is just not right (mix wise). You have far too much of the paper sound coming from the kick. Meaning you need more of a "thump" out of the kick sound. Not sure if you can separate out the kick or this is just a pattern you use for the song. If it is midi, you could use a CAL and split notes to tracks and record the audio of the kick (either with a different kick sound) or try EQing some of the upper mids of the kick out.

I do like the song very much, I just felt that the kick was distracting. I see that others have tried to help you with drums so everything I said may just be a "I KNOW ALREADY!!!" statement. ;)

Tom
dcumpian
RE: Evening 2008/09/08 09:52:53 (permalink)

OK, thanks. I'll try that. It's still such a struggle to even find BEATS that sound good that I haven't tried going beyond that much. Perhaps that should be my next mountain to try to scale!

Maybe you might start creating your own beats. It takes time, but I think it can give you a better result in the end.

Regards,
Dan

My music:
Mamabear
RE: Evening 2008/09/08 10:22:53 (permalink)
Jon--you may feel my pain, but it must be a lot easier being a drummer! But thanks for the idea about Toontrack. I'll look into that. Either that or I'll just let you do all my drum tracks for me.

Jeff--thanks!

Tom--I think I actually may be able to change that kick drum. Thanks for pointing that out! In SD2 it's easy to separate the drums into separate tracks, making it easy to edit each one of them. I never would have thought of it, but that's one reason I post here--to get you guys' feedback and great ideas! Thanks!

Dan--actually I've tried creating my own beats and it HASN'T given me a better result. Maybe some day.
foxwolfen
  • Total Posts : 8256
RE: Evening 2008/09/08 17:29:33 (permalink)
Getting there. I have listened to the changes over the last few mixes.

There are still a few things that could use a bit more work, the drums in particular (I have not read many replies so if this has been said, then please just ignore this). They seem too regular and a bit thin. I would like a more natural and a far deeper sound to the kit. Its just not carrying any oomph. If you have not already done so, download and try the kits that come with the free Kore player.

I am not a huge fan of the sound of the ? solo. I am not sure what the instrument is, but I might try a really nice Dim synth of some sort in its place. Something with depth.

Still a beautiful song though

Cheers
Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1