Project5 question for newbie.

Author
dexterflex
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 291
2008/09/01 12:56:25 (permalink)

Project5 question for newbie.

Hi guys I own and use sonar 7. I just found out about Project5 and not really sure what it is.
Is this a replacement for sonar 7? And does it have any benefits that sonar 7 doesn't have? From the demo videos I watched it looks like the Project5 layout is easier than sonar 7.

14 Replies Related Threads

ctgleason
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 98
    RE: Project5 question for newbie. 2008/09/01 13:56:55 (permalink)
    I only have P5 but I would say it is not a replacement for Sonar. It doesn't have the flexibility in terms of routing, mixing and audio editing. In fact P5 has no dashboards for any of these things (no built-in wav editor, no mixing window, no routing matrix) - that is part of its simplicity and one reason that people like it. What it does offer is a lot of simplicity in putting down and editing MIDI parts (in combination with samples and grooved audio), a very nice arpeggiator, and a nice feature for with live/impromptu composition called the groove matrix. It's also very easy to set up tracks with instruments, save and use favorite device chains, etc.

If you really use the full functionality of Sonar I don't think you will dump it for P5, but it's definitely worth checking out the demo (it's not the most recent version but it's representative of P5). If you are using only part of Sonar's tools then you might even find that P5 is sufficient. I like the idea of having a more full-featured DAW, but in practice P5 does pretty much what I need to do and the ease of use is great.
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Project5 question for newbie. 2008/09/01 16:33:52 (permalink)
    I use both. Project5 makes a great MIDI sequencer and softsynth host.
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Project5 question for newbie. 2008/09/01 23:11:36 (permalink)
    To expand on Bob's answer:

P5 isn't a replacement for, but a great complement to SONAR, esp. if you deal with loops and midi. Much easier to deal with those elements, since it is a pattern based DAW. I usually start projects in P5, since I do mostly midi (esp. soft-synths) and use loops. Once I get a song started in P5, I rewire it into SONAR and then bounce to audio for any acoustic recording/mixing etc.

It used to come with Dimension, which was a great selling point. Now it just has DimLe, which comes with SONAR (even the basic one, I think). Still, there are some nice effects and other synths not included - check the specs for it.

If you just are doing acoustic stuff, P5 won't add too much. However, if you do pattern based music it is really nice. Some people use it exclusively, and do some great work even outside of IMD, etc. But you already have SONAR. If you can pick it up cheap and do pattern stuff, it is a no-brainer buy.

hope this helps.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    LanceJ
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 331
    RE: Project5 question for newbie. 2008/11/14 14:31:53 (permalink)
    Following this thread for an answer, I am not sure that I found it.

Here is what I am trying to understand.

Without using a Rewire into Sonar, can a simple arpeggiated pattern be saved as a midi file? I want to use P5 pre-created arpeggiator patterns to create loops that I can then use outside of P5 for other projects.

TIA
    syrath
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4075
    RE: Project5 question for newbie. 2008/11/14 14:56:06 (permalink)
    If you want to load the P5 precreated arpeggiator patterns into another program you cant do it except in Sonar (where you can open the native patterns directly).

However, you can load the P5 precreated arpeggiator patterns into P5 and save them as midi, in which case yes you can do what you suggest.
    I cant remember the pattern folder off hand but if you use the pattern browser at the bottom of the screen you can find them easy enough.
    LanceJ
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 331
    RE: Project5 question for newbie. 2008/11/14 15:04:35 (permalink)
    Thanks Syrath.

If I save the pattern as MIDI via P5 does it actually save the notes that the arpeggiator is playing or just the single note that is used to seed?

TIA
    Trusty
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 590
    RE: Project5 question for newbie. 2008/11/15 17:52:52 (permalink)
    I do:

1. Make beats in Project5

2. Record rhymes, mix the tracks, and master them in Sonar.

I don't:

1. Try to do both exclusively in one or the other.

2. Use them Rewired together except when tracking the instruments to separate channels from Project5 to Sonar (takes about five minutes).
    bulls hit
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 822
    RE: Project5 question for newbie. 2008/11/16 04:45:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: LanceJ

Thanks Syrath.

If I save the pattern as MIDI via P5 does it actually save the notes that the arpeggiator is playing or just the single note that is used to seed?

TIA

AFAIK it only saves the seed notes.

However you can also save the arpeggiator settings as a .arp file with the As Played, Save Preset.. dialog in the track inspector.

badbib
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1921
    RE: Project5 question for newbie. 2008/11/16 05:09:34 (permalink)
    Following this thread for an answer, I am not sure that I found it.

Here is what I am trying to understand.

Without using a Rewire into Sonar, can a simple arpeggiated pattern be saved as a midi file? I want to use P5 pre-created arpeggiator patterns to create loops that I can then use outside of P5 for other projects.

TIA

A nice way to record arpeggiated patterns is via a midi tool such as Maple VMC who is a virtual midi cable, where you can route the i/o of each cable anywhere on your machine. It shows as midi ins and outs in the midi config panel.

so assume you have a pretty complex midi sequence in P5, where you use the groovematrix, the arpeggiator, and such.

you can open P5 as a rewire app in Sonar, open the P5 project, make sure the tempos are matching.

then convert each of your P5 tracks to midi tracks, and use the maple cables as outputs.

then in Sonar, create as many tracks as you have in P5, recreate the virtual synths you used in P5 in Sonar (since P5 tracks are only sending midi data, and not playing VSTs anymore), select the midi inputs who match the maple midi outputs you used in P5, arm the Sonar tracks, record, in P5, play the arp live, trigger loops from the groovematrix, whatever, everything will be recorded as it is played.

and then you can edit everything in Sonar once it is done.

Sonar, or any other sequencer in fact...
    jardim do mar
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1247
    RE: Project5 question for newbie. 2008/11/16 11:37:56 (permalink)
    use both. Project5 makes a great MIDI sequencer and softsynth host.

gee, bob,,, that's it,,, i mean ,,,,, like,,, where's the emotion,,,,, though you just know ,,,,,i couldn't of said it better my self,,,,,,
    A nice way to record arpeggiated patterns
    like,,, reallly,, nice ,,,badlib,,,, thats the "p5 kool way,,,,ya know,,,, but what i use ,,,, is phrazor,,,,, it's groovy ,,,,, i don't know,,well,,, how it works,,,and like,,,,, don'task me ,,ok,,,, i'm not good at explaining,,that ,,save it for "B",, but all i do is set ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,up phrazor on a track turn on the arp hit a note on my keybord,,,,,,,,and,,, phrazor records all arp data ,,then i can drag the midi pattern from phrazor into p5,,,,it's all good,,,it's all so, tweekable ,,,ya know,,,,,,

marcella
    And Remember,,,,One thing at a Time.....
    Joe_A
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 458
    RE: Project5 question for newbie. 2008/11/24 20:50:32 (permalink)
    Is Project better to use for live sets, performances, doesn't crash?

jambrose@cfl.rr.com  Sonar Plat. Lifetime. Started in Sonar 4, each through 8.5.3PE.
    Scarlett 18i202nd gen., Edirol FA-101, M-Audio Firewire 410, AMD Phenom II 1045T six core processor, 8GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6450, dual displays, 1.5 TB SATA HD, USB 2, Firewire 1394A, 1394B, 18/22 mixer, EV Q-66, Yamaha HS50M monitors, few guitars, Fender Cybertwin SE, Fender Cyber foot controller, Boss RC20-XL, misc pedals, etc. Win Home Prem 64 bit.
    Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: Project5 question for newbie. 2008/11/25 04:34:11 (permalink)
    This question has been asked many times. There is no cut and dry answer. Both can be used for overlapping applications - i.e. you could do pattern-oriented dance music in Sonar, and linear film scores in Project5.

I dropped Project5 for Sonar for 2 reasons:

1) Sonar added a very feature-rich step sequencer in Sonar 7, which includes savable sequences, thus being able to be used in other projects.

2) Project5's future is uncertain at best. It makes no sense to use a product which may not be developed further and will then almost certainly fall off of the support radar.

Given Sonar's step sequencer, the main difference now is in how you assemble your patterns in to full songs. Project5 still has the edge in its arrange pane and groove matrix. You can try out patterns in any order and move things around like building blocks or Lego pieces. In Sonar, it's more linear. You can move things around, but you have to plan your strategy and use copy and paste.

Short answer (also given many times before): Project5 is pattern oriented, Sonar is linear oriented.

HTH!

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    Rizingstar
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Project5 question for newbie. 2008/11/25 11:01:22 (permalink)
    I own p5 and am thinking about getting sonar. I'll only get sonar from cakewalk if they offer some discount for p5 users.
    syrath
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4075
    RE: Project5 question for newbie. 2008/11/25 15:06:13 (permalink)
    They have done for many years now. You can own Project5 and get a specially priced upgrade to Sonar, this can sometimes work out to be cheaper than getting Sonar on its own.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1