Echo card/Mackie mixer: -10 or +4

Author
Indyman
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 99
2008/09/02 11:32:07 (permalink)

Echo card/Mackie mixer: -10 or +4

Greetings-
Question for you - I have an Echo Darla24 soundcard which is fed by my Mackie 1202 VLZ mixer. The soundcard is software switchable from +4 to -10 on inputs and outputs. The Mackie says it accepts both levels on the line inputs (it is not switchable). My question is, if I can set it to either, which should I choose? Does it even matter if both are set to the same level? The only thing I notice is that my input to the sound card (coming from the Mackie's ALT out) is not as hot when set to +4 on the sound card. Anyone have this same basic setup? Thanks for your help in clarifying this for me!

Intel i7-2600K, ASUS P8Z77-V motherboard, ATI 280X, MOTU AudioExpress, Win10 Professional (64-bit), SONAR Platinum, MOTU Midi Express XT, Korg DW8000/X5DR/Wavestation SR/CX-3

2 Replies Related Threads

jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Echo card/Mackie mixer: -10 or +4 2008/09/02 18:03:01 (permalink)
    doesn't really matter. just depends on if you want it louder or not. if you've got a loud source then you might want to use the quieter setting to make sure you don't clip, and if you've got a soft source you might use the louder setting to get a hotter input signal.

- jack the ex-cynic
    RKHL
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Echo card/Mackie mixer: -10 or +4 2008/09/08 11:48:39 (permalink)
    I have a Mackie 1202 VLZ with the Echo Mia Midi. Unless your input source is 4 dbu, you will probably want to set your card's input for -10. Otherwise, you will have to add too much gain in your mixer, which will introduce some noise.

I would also suggest running the main output of the mixer to your soundcard. That way, you can use the control room / headphone output from the mixer to monitor the playback of previously recorded tracks from your soundcard mixed with what you are recording instead of using the card's input monitoring. It can all be controlled from the mixer, and ou don't have to use the card's console. This is also necessary if you have exeternal midi devices tied into the mixer that you want to play back as well.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1