help please: Dimension Pro

Author
Reaver
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2008/09/03 18:41:27 (permalink)

help please: Dimension Pro

what is it?

I bought it today and cant seem to get it to work on my comp, Im totally new to the music scene, can someone clarify how to use it and what it does,

thanks in advance,

Reaver

7 Replies Related Threads

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: help please: Dimension Pro 2008/09/03 19:24:59 (permalink)
    Please provide some system specs...Mac or PC? XP or Vista if Windows? Which version of OS X if Mac? What host audio host program?
    post edited by techead - 2008/09/03 19:25:45
    Reaver
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: help please: Dimension Pro 2008/09/03 19:30:29 (permalink)
    sorry, Im using Windows Vista (I think 32 bit). I installed it and then... nothing, it doesnt give my any application to use, just help files and a manual...

other then that, all I have is Dimension Pro, is there another product I need to buy to use it?

EDIT: all I want to do is create simple music, i have a demo of Acid Express, but wanted a cakewalk program due to its high praise from other people, and just plain popularity, if you know Acid Express, whats the closest thing you have...
    post edited by Reaver - 2008/09/03 19:37:54
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: help please: Dimension Pro 2008/09/03 20:19:33 (permalink)
    all I have is Dimension Pro, is there another product I need to buy to use it?
    No, you don't need anything else. It'd be helpful if we knew whether you had a controller keyboard of some kind, or if you intend to create within the host software alone (Acid Xpress, at this point). If you have a keyboard, there is a Dimension Pro microhost available for free download. That would get you up & running with DP without any further configuration.
    all I want to do is create simple music, i have a demo of Acid Express
    I've used Acid, but I was unfamiliar with exactly what you can do in Acid Xpress. Honestly, it doesn't appear to be all that limited at first glance.

I downloaded the manual, just to see if it was capable of loading VSTi instruments. Apparently, yes. Related to your Dimension Pro question, there's a section around page 157 that should provide the step-by-step process of getting Dimension Pro into a MIDI track (where you can use it). I know that you're new to all this, so if you have any problems with that, please respond back.

When you install Dimension Pro, there are options for DXi, VSTi, and others. (It's been years for me, so I don't recall the exact process.) If you left everything at the default settings, you should have a VSTi installation, and that will be one thing that you can use in Acid Xpress.
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: help please: Dimension Pro 2008/09/03 22:19:30 (permalink)
    Jumping in to continue elaborating with what Tom said, Dimension Pro is only a software instrument--basically a DLL plugin on Windows. It needs some type of "host" software for it to load into. The host software will then expose the instrument to you so you can play it live from a music keyboard or have it play back pre-recorded music from a music sequencer.

Tom mentioned a free microhost. This is just a very small program whose main job is to expose the Dimension Pro instrument so that you can use a music keyboard to play it and also to redirect its digitally generated sounds to a sound card output and speakers on your computer.

Sony's Acid Xpress is also a host program. So is Cakewalk's SONAR series of programs and Cakewalk's Project5 program.

When Tom mentioned a "controller keyboard" that would be a simple music keyboard that sends note-on and note-off performance commands to the host which forwards them to Dimension Pro. Dimension Pro responds appropriately and makes digital audio which is fed back to the host and then handed off to your computer's sound card and speakers. An example of a controller keyboard would be something like the Edirol PCR-800 which doesn't have any sounds of its own--it just tells Dimension Pro what to do.

By the way, welcome to the forum...and keep asking questions. You'll be learning quickly and making cool music in no time!
    post edited by techead - 2008/09/03 22:20:40
    lightninrick
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 972
    RE: help please: Dimension Pro 2008/09/03 23:25:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Reaver

EDIT: all I want to do is create simple music, i have a demo of Acid Express, but wanted a cakewalk program due to its high praise from other people, and just plain popularity, if you know Acid Express, whats the closest thing you have...

I recommend that you not buy any more gear until you know what stuff you need to make the music you want to make. It takes a few different pieces of gear to make music on a computer--audio and MIDI interfaces, sequencer program, VST or hardware synths and effects, MIDI controller, etc.--and you need to put them together in a sensible way. You don't want to buy more, or less, gear than you need, and at the moment you're kind of flying blind.

I recommend VERY strongly that you get your hands on a copy of Computer Music magazine (computermusic.co.uk). In fact, you'd do very well to get a subscription. Every month, they give you a magazine full of detailed instructions on exactly how to perform and produce various styles of electric music (right down to which EQ and compression settings work for the style, and why). They also give you a cover disk every month with a set of 2000+ samples, a suite of very capable synthesizers, and a bunch of decent effects, and they tell you how to put it all together. In other words, they give you a toolkit and the knowledge of how to use it. It's well worth the $US 15 or so for an issue. I'd go so far as to say it's the most cost-effective and fastest way to learn how to make music on a computer, unless you've got a very knowledgeable friend who already has a studio full of gear.

Regards, lightninrick

Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: help please: Dimension Pro 2008/09/03 23:56:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Reaver

what is it?

I bought it today and cant seem to get it to work on my comp, Im totally new to the music scene, can someone clarify how to use it and what it does,

thanks in advance,

Reaver

I'd like to get some clarity on what "I'm totally new to the music scene" means. What is the music scene? What music scene? New to making music? New to listening to music? New to technology and music? I think this is a joke.

If not, DimPro is a software instrument which allows you to make music with your computer in the same way you play a violin or guitar. Either the computer can "play" it via MIDI files, or you can play it and record things you play using some type of external controller and your computer.

The solution on "how to use it" is to read the help files and manuals for your computer software and for Dimension Pro. If you are using Sonar, you should get "Sonar X Power", where "X" is the version of Sonar you have. You should also consider a book such as Simon Cann's "Cakewalk Synthesizers". More specifically, Streamworks Audio has a video course on Dimension Pro. www.streamworksaudio.com

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: help please: Dimension Pro 2008/09/04 00:22:10 (permalink)
    REver,

Dimension is a instrument you can play in a DAW - Digital Audio Workstation, which deals with audio and midi. Audio is, well, audio, a recording. It can either be a linear recording (like a tape deck or video deck) or loops - musical phrases we'll call them, such as a 4 bar beat. Acid was the original program that used "acidized" loops, which are these phrases with the info built in so Acid (or P5 or SONAR, etc), can change the pitch or the time so you can put the same loop into different songs at different tempo or keys, or change them within a single song.

Now, on to midi. Midi, at its simpliest level, records a synthesiser that you play and remembers the velocity (ie. loudness) and how long you held the key down. Just like your computer's keyboard - it records the keys you hit and other instruction LIKE CAPs or 'séçíá'l instructions inyour input. Once that input is recorded you can rearrange it and/or change it up (just like a word processor) and then play it back to the synthesiser. Dimension Pro is a soft synth, or one that runs inside your computer rather than a box outside of it. That is why you probably need an external keyboard, tho you can use a notation program to write the music.

So, acid is your DAW, Dimension is your synthesiser. I don't know about acid express but you should be able to "insert" a softsynth into the program. Once you have that up, you need to have a keyboard and set up Acid to recognise the keyboard and assign that signal to Dimension. Then Dimension has to be routed out through acid so you can hear it on the speakers.

you might want to visit http://bnoirfilm.tripod.com/ It is an old site, but serves as a beginners guide that I never finished. Might give you some clues. You should also download the demo for Acid express, if they have one, or at least some audio. That way you can get some sound from your DAW since the routing should be easier. Then move on to Dimension, which is a very nice sample based synth.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1