still cannot access plugins

Author
adriane ohno
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 23
2008/09/04 22:05:23 (permalink)

still cannot access plugins

'ello,
i read all the replies to my previous request for info about plugins, but still cannot get to them
here's what happens: i right-click in the effects area of a track, get a choice of:
Bypass bin (which appears to do nothing or take me anywhere)
MIDI Plugins > Plugin Layouts
Cakewalk Effects
the cakewalk effects has 7 choices, but i'm not interested in these at the moment.
if i go to plugin layouts>Manage Layouts- it opens the plugin manager, says there are
9 categories of plugins, each with varying numbers of effects. this is what i'm after.
i tried adding them to the cakewalk effects folder, but they don't show up to be accessed from that menu
in the effects bin. i tried making new folders, put some plugins in the folders, but again, can't get them to appear
when accessing from the effects bin of the tracks. this is killing me- all these cool-sounding effects & i can't
get to them. the help file is pretty useless- all it's concerned with is showing you how to manage the menu/
layouts, as in folder management. i need to know how to APPLY effects to my tracks.
somebody? anybody?

Sonar X2 Studio,  Gigabyte laptop (i7 quad-core 2.30 Ghz, 16 gb ram, Win 7 - 64-bit, 128 gb SSD primary drive, 750 gb hybrid drive, Invidia Geforce GTX 2 gb video card, 2 extra exhaust ports (really!), M-Audio Black Box usb audio interface, Akai MPK laptop production keyboard, M-Audio Oxygen 8 keyboard, Alesis SR16 drum machine,Roland Octopad, Casio RZ1 drum machine,various analog Casio & Roland synths,  various guitars & basses.

8 Replies Related Threads

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: still cannot access plugins 2008/09/04 22:28:21 (permalink)
    Name the effects you're after that are listed but can't be accessed. Are the DXi? VSTi? Or DX and VST? Are they effects or instruments?

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    adriane ohno
    RE: still cannot access plugins 2008/09/04 22:59:29 (permalink)
    ok:
    9 categories are: directx audio (DX), VST audio effects (VST), DirectX Instruments (DXi),
    VST Instruments (VSTi), MIDI Effects (MFX), DirectX Media Objects (DMO), Control surfaces.
    I'm after the DX, VST,MFX in particular- under the DX effects are 33 plugins: all Cakewalk-
    Alias Factoe, Amp Sim, Chorus, Classic Phaser, delay,compressor, et etc.
    VST Audio effects has Studio Devil, and of course the MFX are the 7 available under the Cakewalk effects (which it appears are accesible). and yeah i do realize that the first 2 categories are audio effects, which i assume will only work on audio tracks...

Sonar X2 Studio,  Gigabyte laptop (i7 quad-core 2.30 Ghz, 16 gb ram, Win 7 - 64-bit, 128 gb SSD primary drive, 750 gb hybrid drive, Invidia Geforce GTX 2 gb video card, 2 extra exhaust ports (really!), M-Audio Black Box usb audio interface, Akai MPK laptop production keyboard, M-Audio Oxygen 8 keyboard, Alesis SR16 drum machine,Roland Octopad, Casio RZ1 drum machine,various analog Casio & Roland synths,  various guitars & basses.
    57Gregy
    RE: still cannot access plugins 2008/09/04 23:09:50 (permalink)
    I would venture a guess that some of the effects are not available in MC, but are available in Sonar Home Studio 6 and above. This has been standard for Cakewalk to have more features in the higher-priced programs. The help files and menus are notorious in having info written for Sonar that doesn't apply to MC. Every time I upgraded my program, I got more features and effects, and since I no longer have just MC on my computer, I can't say which are available to MC users. (I still have MC Pro 24 loaded, but when I moved up to Sonar, all the Sonar effects are usable in Pro 24, so I can't do a comparison, since the lists are now the same). Maybe an MC user can chime in with the effects they have, but I'm betting that MC has been limited to the active effects you see in the fx bin.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.

adriane ohno
    RE: still cannot access plugins 2008/09/04 23:15:03 (permalink)
    so... i've only ever had mc4- why would there even be entries for effects that don't exist in this program?
    do you think cakewalk made mc4 by dumbing-down sonar?

57Gregy
    RE: still cannot access plugins 2008/09/04 23:26:35 (permalink)
    Oh, I don't think so, I know so. That's exactly what they did. But MC is an exceptional line of low-cost sequencers. Many people get great results using MC, I know, I've heard a lot of it, in the user's links here, and in the songs forum. The audio and MIDI performance is just as good as Sonar, but there are fewer goodies. And many plug-ins are available, some for free, on the net. I don't have the links at hand, but google kvraudio, I think is one a with lots of toys. The forum's quiet tonight, but someone who knows more about freebies should give you some links, so check this space often.
    Edit: I forgot to post this, from the MC 4 product pages: "25 studio effects including an Amp Simulator, EQ, Delay, Compressor, Reverb, more"
    That may include audio and MIDI effects, and might even include some of the presets within the plug-ins.
    post edited by 57Gregy - 2008/09/04 23:30:55

Greg 

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: still cannot access plugins 2008/09/05 08:23:32 (permalink)
    i read all the replies to my previous request for info about plugins, but still cannot get to them
    here's what happens: i right-click in the effects area of a track, get a choice of:
    Bypass bin (which appears to do nothing or take me anywhere)
    MIDI Plugins > Plugin Layouts
    Cakewalk Effects

looks to me that you are in a MIDI track....try this in an AUDIO track because the Cakewalk plugins are audio plugins.

The audio plugins are not available to a midi track. (because there is no audio in a midi track..only data) If you want to use them, you must convert the midi data to audio using bounce to audio or some other method to get the music into the audio domain. THEN...you will have the music in an audio track where you will be able to insert the Cakewalk Audio plugins.

edit: to test this...just insert a new audio track and try inserting a plugin in that empty audio track.... I'll bet it works.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2008/09/05 08:25:04

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: still cannot access plugins 2008/09/05 12:23:21 (permalink)
    Most of those lists are just for future add ons, they do not come with it, if MC4 had all those plugins it would not be $39 MC4 is an entry level program, it does a lot, but still only designed to give you a basic introduction to the process and hopefull move you on to one of the mid to top level programs.

There are not a lot of choices for midi effects, basically reverb, chorus, and a couple more i can't recall.

One thing toi keep in mind, midi is just the starting point. One a track is built, and tweaked so it sounds pretty good it is far better to convert that midi to audio and apply audio effects to it for a finished product.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Peter Rabbit
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1305
    RE: still cannot access plugins 2008/09/05 13:09:19 (permalink)
    OK, I understand better now why you're confused.

Your looking at the area where you manage your plug-ins. You are correct...this is where you manage your menu layouts, as in folder management like you mentioned.

There may be many things listed in there that you don't have.

This is Cakewalk's default plug in's management settings. It's up to you whether you want to continue using thier default settings or to create your own settings.

Let's say you want to lay a bass track and you have 4 or 5 synths from your collection of 30 synths that you use exclusively for a bass sound. But you don't want to open a menu of 30 synths to hunt down the synth your looking for. You could create your own menu called "Bass" and place those 4 or 5 synths in that folder to make make it easier to find the bass synth you're looking for.

But as I stated, what you're looking at is Cakewalk's default setup. This doesn't mean you have all these things installed on your computer. Although that would be nice wouldn't it?

You can go to Explore > Program Files > Cakewalk and look at the Plug-in, Shared Plug-in, and VST folders if you want to confirm what synths and plug-ins you have installed.

Hope this helps.

Pete
    post edited by Peter Rabbit - 2008/09/05 13:14:21

"Creating a bad song takes just as much time and energy as creating a good one. The problem is that you don't know it's a bad song until someone tells you, and by then it's too late."
    P. Rabbit
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1