Bad sound quality

Author
mdrcpa
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 17
2008/09/05 17:02:47 (permalink)

Bad sound quality

I played/loaded a six track song from my Tascam DP-01 into my EM-U 0202 USB, using a cable to connect the DP-01 into the 0202. The 0202 is connected by USB to MC4, on my Dell Vostro 1510.

My problems: (1) The sound quality is poor - crackling and skipping
2) I only have sound through one speaker, and one headphone speaker when I use headphones

My audio options:

Playback timing master: ASIO E-MU 02 USB Analog Out
Recording timing master: ASIO E-MU 02 USB Analog In A

The same settings are listed for input and output drivers.

The I/O buffer size is maximized at 2048.

Can anyone help me? What aditional info is needed?

Thank you. - Michael

26 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Bad sound quality 2008/09/05 17:31:48 (permalink)
    Some of the audio experts will be along shortly. Hang loose.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    George01
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Bad sound quality 2008/09/05 17:39:02 (permalink)
    mdrcpa,

Your problem sounds similar to one I had when I first loaded Music Creator on my Laptop. Skipping, and a background 60 Hz click were my issues. I downloaded the latest sound card driver and the issue was resolved. In fact, with the new driver I can actually hear my midi track output.

I spent several hours over a couple of days reading the MC user manual before I downloaded the driver.

Good luck to you,
    george
    mdrcpa
    RE: Bad sound quality 2008/09/05 17:49:44 (permalink)
    In response to George's suggestion: Thank you. I have done that. Also, I purchased my EM-U 0202 about two weeks ago.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Bad sound quality 2008/09/05 18:27:48 (permalink)
    Hi Michael!

Ok, first since you are getting sound only on one speaker, that probably means you have only one output of the DP-01 connected to the 0202. you should have stereo output from the DP-01, so connect both outputs from the DP-01 to the inputs of the 0202, one for each. then in MC, you can choose the STEREO input for the AUDIO track.

as far as the popping it sounds like you've done the most important things (downloaded the latest drivers, increased your ASIO buffers, checked your timing masters...). so now we move on to the other things that can cause this. Antivirus programs (especially Norton) will cause this, also make sure you turn off everything that is not necessary, even the internet, you might even have to disable the network card. turn off all programs that might be running in the background. if that doesn't work, we might have more suggestions for you.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Bad sound quality 2008/09/05 18:29:34 (permalink)
    The 'sound only on the left' can be solved by recording onto a stereo track. Your input selection may be for left or right, but not stereo. Make sure the E-Mu is putting out a stereo signal. I don't have an E-Mu, so I can't tell you where to look for it's settings. Make sure your cords are all in good working order, you can check that easily by reversing the cords and see if it records only on the right,
    Make sure the sampling rate of MC and the E-Mu are the same. One may be set to 44.1kHz and the other at 48kHz, for example.
    When recording audio in MC, get off the internet and turn off your modem. Turn off all virus scans, pop-up blockers, and firewalls. Turn off the Microsoft system sounds. Turn off the screen saver and wallpaper. Turn off all other programs which could rob resources and make the processor work harder than it has to, or that may make noise while recording.
    Disable your onboard sound card, even if there are no apparent conflicts.
    Tell us a little about your computer; how fast is it and how much memory does it have?

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    mdrcpa
    RE: Bad sound quality 2008/09/05 18:56:11 (permalink)
    Thank you.

For Reece - the EMU 0202 has two inputs, a 1/8" and a 1/4". My impression is that they go to the same circuit inside of the sound card, and are only a different size for convenience - so that one need not use an adaptor. If I am incorrect about that, I will go buy a new cable - mine has two outputs from the DP-01, but only one input. Also, Norton is not installed on my computer. Instead, I have Avast for anti-virus

For 57Gregy, both Options Audio in MC4, and the EMU, indicate 44.1kHz. Also, the right side of the MC4 screen/interface indicates "Stereo ASIO E-MU 0202 USB Analog IS A," and the EMU is set to stereo. Total physical memory (I think that is what you are looking for) is 2.048MB. Processor is x86 (again, I think that is what you want to know - pls correct me if I am wrong).

Thanks again.
    mdrcpa
    RE: Bad sound quality 2008/09/05 20:27:02 (permalink)
    I turned off the internet and all programs. I also recorded at a low volume - none of the meters were at dangerous levels. The problem is about 80% eliminated. I still have some skipping and crackling.

Any additional suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Beagle
    RE: Bad sound quality 2008/09/05 21:31:28 (permalink)
    Actually he was asking about the speed of the processor, like 2.4GHz or whatever.

ok, on the back of the 0202 for your inputs, you've got a 1/4" RIGHT input (Hi-Z/Line) and you've got on the LEFT input, 3 input types, 1/8" MIC, XLR MIC and a 1/4" LINE input. notice in the center of the XLR input is a hole that's big enough for a 1/4" plug to fit. THAT'S where you should be plugging your LEFT input into since you're not using a MIC. the 1/8" input and the XLR input both have MIC PREAMPS on them and you want LINE LEVEL for the output of the DP-01.

let's try that first and see how things go and then we'll see if we need to try to work more on the popping and stuttering.

mdrcpa
    RE: Bad sound quality 2008/09/05 22:01:16 (permalink)
    Thank you. I will reconfigure my line inputs, and try to get stereo.

As for the processor speed, I do not know where to find it on my computer. (I thought that all of the info was under Accessories on the Program menu.) I do not have my purchase order with me.

If I can find the processor speed on my system, let me know how if you know.

Thanks agains.
    Beagle
    RE: Bad sound quality 2008/09/05 22:03:55 (permalink)
    probably the same screen you were looking at before where the memory and the x86 were. in the properties of My Computer, but somewhere on that window it should also say what speed it is.

RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Bad sound quality 2008/09/05 22:24:10 (permalink)
    Hello Michael,
    It looks like you have downloaded and installed the V1.3 drivers, so you're good there.
    Your speakers are plugged into the E-MU, correct?
    Beagle and Greg touched on the cable connections, but I would like to focus on that a bit more.
    Are you connected to the red and white RCA Line Ouput connections on the DP-01?
    Does the cable you are using have a stereo plug at the other end (this will have two black rings on the shaft)?
    If so, this is not the correct configuration for you E-MU inputs. These are mono inputs.
    At this point, I am not clear on which input you are using, the 1/4", or the 1/8".
    This next part can be confusing.
    If you plug a stereo source into the 1/4" jack, you are sending the left output from the DP-01 to the right input.
    If you plug a stereo source into the 1/8" jack, you are sending the left output from the DP-01 to the left input.
    This is because plugging a stereo plug into a mono jack defeats half of the signal (the right side).
    This is why you hear sound on only one side.
    Maybe too much information, but if you know why somethng is happening, you are better equipped to fix it.
    You will need:
    2 RCA x 1/4" adapters
    2 mono 1/4" cables (TS)

Connect one cable from the right (red) output of the DP-01 to the 1/4" input of the E-MU.
    Connect the other from the left (white) output of the DP-01 to the center of the XLR jack.

This will carry your complete stereo output to the E-MU.

That takes care of the physical connections.
    For the crackles, watch the clip indicators on the face of the E-MU. If these light up, you will get pops.
    Try the gain controls at the 12:00 position. If the incoming signal is too hot, turn down the output from the DP-01.
    There can be some trial and error here. You want a strong, but clean signal going into MC.
    The next step is to set MC to communicate with the E-MU.
    In MC, go to Options>Audio.
    Set your Buffer size to 256 initially.
    Open the ASIO Panel, and set the ASIO latency to 10ms.
    You may have to do some fine tuning, but this should be a good start. Play with it some, and let us know how it goes.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    57Gregy
    RE: Bad sound quality 2008/09/05 22:39:04 (permalink)
    That's weird that they would have different kinds of inputs for a stereo signal, maybe to save space, or for a lower price.
    I saw where you had the buffers set at 2048!? That's a little high. RobertB is the resident E-Mu maven, so I'm happy he's here.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.

RobertB
    RE: Bad sound quality 2008/09/05 22:49:01 (permalink)
    It's kind of an odd setup on the inputs, Greg.
    They are all mono, which is fairly normal.
    There is a 1/4" input, dedicated to right input.
    There is also an 1/8" input for those little mics that come packaged with PC's. This shares the left input with an XLR/1/4" input.
    Can't say as I've ever seen anything like it, but I kind of get why they did it that way.
    And it is E-MU. Good stuff, but always a bit off center.
    Probably why I like them.
    post edited by RobertB - 2008/09/05 22:50:11

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    57Gregy
    RE: Bad sound quality 2008/09/05 22:56:04 (permalink)
    mdrcpa, I see that the TASCAM has USB and S/PDIF outputs. It may be possible to get the songs into MC through those connections.
    Are you wanting to record each track in the TASCAM onto different tracks in MC? Or are you recording the whole song onto 1 stereo track?

Greg 

mdrcpa
    RE: Bad sound quality 2008/09/05 23:14:01 (permalink)
    Thanks guys. You are the greatest. I need to digest and implement your new suggestions over the next few days and see how it goes.

Let me know if you ever need any complementary tax advice........................
    RobertB
    RE: Bad sound quality 2008/09/05 23:25:27 (permalink)
    We do what we can.
    It's not likely you have SP/DIF in the lappy, but the USB connection Greg metioned would be good to look into.
    From what I see, the DP-01 wound be seen as an external drive, and you could import your files without going throught the A/D conversion in the E-MU interface.
    It could be a very clean drag and drop process to save the files on your laptop hard drive, and you can import them to MC from there. Check your manual, but I think this may be a very good option.

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: Bad sound quality 2008/09/06 00:18:43 (permalink)
    ....tax advice....
    Don't pay 'em. They are unconstitutional, the amendment was never properly ratified, and they are "voluntary", actually, listed as "voluntary compliance", which indicates you comply voluntarilly, but some how that expression has been perverted to imply manditory compliance, not sure how that happened.
    I have a friend in Houston, Tx who has never paid income taxes, he's over fifty now, and never once paid. Always works under the table, makes a good living, all in cash, claims as long as he never fills out a tax form, they'll never catch him.
    Wish I'da thought of that.
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    mdrcpa
    RE: Bad sound quality 2008/09/06 13:49:53 (permalink)
    Thanks, RobertB. I thought of this, I cannot figure out how to make the DP-01 files (and tracks) compatible, as file types, with MC4.
    RobertB
    RE: Bad sound quality 2008/09/06 14:26:29 (permalink)
    I've just downloaded the manual for the DP-01.
    Look under the section "Using the USB connection".
    The Backup files are proprietary, and MC4 won't be able to read those.
    However, you can export individual mono tracks or the full stereo mix as WAV files, which MC4 can read.
    The procedure looks a bit cumbersome, but it should be doable.
    Give that a shot, and let us know how it goes.

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    mdrcpa
    RE: Bad sound quality 2008/09/07 21:46:37 (permalink)
    I seemed to have (mostly) solved the problem. Having my wireless internet turned on seems to have been the biggest problem.

I also changed the buffer size to 256--I had it higher--although I do not understand the effect of this.

I also bought proper 1/4 " mono cables--one, of course, for each input.

One of you may have mentioned this but I cannot now find it above. It is also in the EMU 0202 munual: when the gain level is proper, the green light on the EMU flickers. Is it OK if it does NOT flicker, just so the it is not on?

I have exported individual tracks from my Tascam DP-01 to MC4, as wave files. That was not difficult, and they seem to play well.

I well let you know how it goes.

Thanks, guys, for your help.
    57Gregy
    RE: Bad sound quality 2008/09/08 00:03:46 (permalink)
    Oh, yeah, those wireless devices can cause problems.
    The I/O buffer's default is 128, I believe, and shouldn't be changed unless you are having problems with your audio. Which you were, but 2048 is a little too high. Set it back to the default and see if it works as well as 256 does.
    This is a hobby for me, too, but I don't have a wife to temper my bouts of GAS.
    Now unemployment does that for me.
    post edited by 57Gregy - 2008/09/08 00:04:52

Greg 

mdrcpa
    RE: Bad sound quality 2008/09/08 00:59:23 (permalink)
    I changed the buffer back to its defalut stting of 128 (from 256). I cannot notice the difference in sound quality.
    57Gregy
    RE: Bad sound quality 2008/09/08 01:04:43 (permalink)
    That's good, it means everything is working well.
    If you set the buffers too high, it will take longer for them to fill, resulting in stuttering and slow playback. If they're too low, skips, audio loss and dropouts can occur.

Greg 

mdrcpa
    RE: Bad sound quality 2008/09/08 13:06:43 (permalink)
    Thank you very much for the clear explanation.
    RobertB
    RE: Bad sound quality 2008/09/08 21:21:11 (permalink)
    Looks like you are making progress.
    As to the lights, the green light should flicker when you hit your loudest passages. It can even stay on for a sustained loud passage. If it never comes on, you might want to boost your levels. If the levels are too low, you are running the risk of boosting background sound, including electrical noise, later. This is the "noise floor", and you want to keep your signal as far above that as you can.
    The light to worry about most is the red one. If it flickers, you are clipping. This can result in pops and other nasty distortion.
    Ideally, you want to see some activity from the green light, and none from the red one.

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    mdrcpa
    RE: Bad sound quality 2008/09/08 21:25:36 (permalink)
    Excellent. Very precise reply. Very helpful.
    Thank you
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1