universal sonar audio setup

Author
maxasillian
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
2008/09/06 13:46:52 (permalink)

universal sonar audio setup

Hey friends: My system is working fine, but ive kind of wondered what the following proper set up is....
In OPTIONS -audio -advanced-under playback and recording, what is the proper driver mode? WDM/KS, ASIO, or MME 32 bit.
Also---- under Dithering. what is proper rectangular, triangular,powr 1,powr 2 or powr 3? I dont even kow what they mean and Im not a dee dee dee!
Also in Driver Profiles....DMA buffer sizes-They are all the same Number..I have buffer size at 1024, should some be lowerd like the ones that are not common with my recording latency IE 96/24.
What is the best mixing latency for 96/24?
In driver profiles---under STREAM 16 BIT DATA AS) I hae 32 bit pcm left justified, is that correct...Ive never known..Just had some advise one time..Thanks for all your great help...

5 Replies Related Threads

WDI
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2069
    RE: universal sonar audio setup 2008/09/06 14:29:47 (permalink)
    Hey maxasillian, just a thought and purely my opinion. You should try recording at 24/96 and again at 24/48. Compare the two projects and see if you can hear a difference. If you can't, set projects at 24/48. You will get more out of your CPU and hard drive. Depending on the style of music and outboard gear, my guess is that you won't hear a difference.

Sonar 7 PE
    Windows XP Pofessional (SP3)
    MSI K8N Neo4-F
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    2 GB PC 3200 Ram
    RME Fireface 800
    Edirol FA-66
    CM Labs MotorMix

Old stuff: ARJO
    Susan G
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12016
    RE: universal sonar audio setup 2008/09/06 14:42:48 (permalink)
    Hi Robert-

In OPTIONS -audio -advanced-under playback and recording, what is the proper driver mode? WDM/KS, ASIO, or MME 32 bit.

This has been debated a lot here, and it always comes back to "it depends"!, except that MME should always be your last choice. Some cards do better with WDM drivers, some better with ASIO, depending on how well the drivers were written and your other system components. My MOTU Ultralite has pretty much always done better (lower latency, more stable) with WDM drivers, but YMMV.

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
    Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
    SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: universal sonar audio setup 2008/09/06 22:56:34 (permalink)
    Although guy with the freaky Mr Potato Head that haunts me in my dreams
    One advantage of higher sample rates is theoretically you have lower latency since a big portion of latency is the round trip through the A/D D/A and buffers.

But I agree - 96 is overkill.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: universal sonar audio setup 2008/09/06 23:47:38 (permalink)
    under Dithering. what is proper rectangular, triangular,powr 1,powr 2 or powr 3? I dont even kow what they mean and Im not a dee dee dee!

There all proper. It depends on what you need or what style of music your dithering. I like to use Powr1 or 2. Triangle is good for bouncing or rendering yp to 32bit
    What is the best mixing latency for 96/24?

Yes, but not the smartest. If your doing classical music then go for it. If your doing rock or country or pop or rap or r&b or hip hop or punk or heavy metal or blue grass or dixie or soul or ............. Then its a waste of disk space and pc resources. Use 48/24 or 44.1/24.

There are no proper settings, its what works best for your pc and what driver mode was written better for that sound card. MME is the worst, because its usually for onboard sound chips/cards and thats just wrong to use with sonar.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    maxasillian
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: universal sonar audio setup 2008/09/08 08:56:08 (permalink)
    I appreciate all the great responses..Sorry I havent responded earlier, I didnt receive notice for some reason. I suppose I just like to know the things that are taken for granted alot of times. Recording is something that takes alot of cranial cpu.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1