Newest Sonar Project: Brutal F'ing Metal

Author
dontletmedrown
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1722
2008/09/07 20:47:55 (permalink)

Newest Sonar Project: Brutal F'ing Metal

Hi guys. I've never posted in the Song forum before. I just wanted to share my newest client tracked/mixed/recorded in Sonar 6. The song is "Fleshcraft" by Graveslut and is the first song on my myspace profile. This is the first song I've recorded for these guys. It was tracked in one day and mixed on the 2nd. It will be featured on a metal compilation called "Underground Rising Vol. 3" that will be available at Best Buy. <--This is a first for me, so I'm pretty excited.

If you enjoy brutal metal, you owe it to yourself to check give this a listen. Fun stuff.

Click on my myspace link below.

Take care!

16 Replies Related Threads

keith
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3882
    RE: Newest Sonar Project: Brutal F'ing Metal 2008/09/07 21:38:40 (permalink)
    Dave, can't say that "brutal metal is my thing", exactly... but I can say that I absolutely do not like the MySpace encoding!

Any chance we can get a little higher quality MP3 or something? Or snippets?
    dontletmedrown
    RE: Newest Sonar Project: Brutal F'ing Metal 2008/09/08 00:24:00 (permalink)
    Yeah I really hate what happens to cymbals on myspace. If you are interested, you can download the full version here. It is huge (32mb) and the link is only good for seven days though.
    mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: Newest Sonar Project: Brutal F'ing Metal 2008/09/08 05:48:21 (permalink)
    bleurghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! (that's not the vocals, it's for the myspace player!) listening on my monitors the guitars sounded a bit too forward of the drums, but on phones it's fine - i guess it's the player. nice guitar tone. not exactly the most original thing ever, but you've given them a great sound Dave!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    instantdan
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 432
    RE: Newest Sonar Project: Brutal F'ing Metal 2008/09/08 06:12:03 (permalink)
    It sounds ****ing better than jesus. Great job man and other guys. This won't sit well with most of the "cake vets" so myspace me if you want:

http://www.myspace.com/666woof666

ps **** the cakewalk forum elite. you are 90% useless post less; grow more? peace in all times,

Dan
    dontletmedrown
    RE: Newest Sonar Project: Brutal F'ing Metal 2008/09/08 09:48:01 (permalink)
    Nice! Glad you liked it.
    dontletmedrown
    RE: Newest Sonar Project: Brutal F'ing Metal 2008/09/10 10:21:57 (permalink)
    bumpity bump
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Newest Sonar Project: Brutal F'ing Metal 2008/09/10 14:25:51 (permalink)
    I'm not into heavy metal like this....however, this is a good job on recording. It sounded intense, which I guess it the desired result. I could not understand the words.... but I'm thinking that was how it's supposed to be.

I let it play into a few other tunes on your site... you have some good stuff there..I liked the reggae tune...the cold was rocking too, ...I have to say I liked Life Symphony best.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Newest Sonar Project: Brutal F'ing Metal 2008/09/10 16:11:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: instantdan

It sounds ****ing better than jesus. Great job man and other guys. This won't sit well with most of the "cake vets" so myspace me if you want:

ps **** the cakewalk forum elite. you are 90% useless post less; grow more? peace in all times,

Dan

Just for you Dan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMKCLyhBBwI

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    foxwolfen
    RE: Newest Sonar Project: Brutal F'ing Metal 2008/09/10 16:33:10 (permalink)
    Well, I cannot say I like the song title or the name of the band. Screaming the lyrics (or in this case squealing like a pig) always strikes me as a poor excuse for actual singing. I found this song too much like skin head music which I have to reject in the most vehement way possible. It was reasonably well produced though.

However, the next one on the list (Practice Makes Alcoholic) was fracking awesome. Loved it.

Then you move into White Reggae? You are diverse, eh? . I also quite enjoyed "Girl With A Boyfriend" and "Something to Believe". Then you move into a contemporary English sound (like the band James). Also enjoyable. In fact the only song that I did not like was the one you posted lol.

I would love to talk to you more about the reggae. I think if I had to choose a favorite genre of music (IE stuck on a desert isle with only one genre) it would be reggae (English white or Jamaican/Carib). I want to make some myself, but have yet to figure out the components of it to my satisfaction (particularly the sound and style of the reggae rhythm guitar - my girlfriend, who is carib herself, has no idea about it either (odd that) and did not even realize that reggae always has a particular rhythm (either a git or keys) until I pointed it out)

Fascinating selection of music. You have some serious talent.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    dontletmedrown
    RE: Newest Sonar Project: Brutal F'ing Metal 2008/09/10 16:49:35 (permalink)
    Thanks a lot for the feedback guys! Yeah, this newest song is definitely the heaviest song I've recorded so far. I love all music so I'm usually down to record whatever the bands bring me. BTW, there is definitely no "skinhead" vibe with the new song. Most the guys in the band are mexican and they are just doing what they love.

If I had to list things that define the reggae sound I'd say:
    -Syncopated rhythm: gtr/keys/whatever
    -Bassline playing mostly on downbeat
    -Dub style guitar track (copycat the bassline, but muted)
    -Fun lyrics that people can relate to

Thanks again for listening!
    foxwolfen
    RE: Newest Sonar Project: Brutal F'ing Metal 2008/09/10 19:22:46 (permalink)
    bassline done mostly on the downbeat... that's a valuable bit of information. As is the copycatted dub style (I will need to figure out how to effect that). Thank you for the tips.

I hope I did not imply that it was skin head music. I did not mean to, and do not think it is. I was only referring to the unfortunate association that I have with the genre in general, as it seems to me to be very "violent" music (musically not lyrically ).

Cheers
    Shad

Composers Forum
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Newest Sonar Project: Brutal F'ing Metal 2008/09/10 19:53:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: instantdan

Dan

LOL

'Cake Vets' and 'Soundclick Deacons' that's gotta be the title of someones new album...

DLMD

I gotta agree that the MySpace player sucks but I can hear this is 'all there' for the genre. (Bless 'em...Is F'ing short for Filing btw?), I probably shan't go out and buy this in order to hear a clearer rendition, but next time I feel like throwing myself down the stairs I've found a worthy backing tune to make it more of a 'multi-media' experience...

There's a variety of good stuff on your page though.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: Newest Sonar Project: Brutal F'ing Metal 2008/09/10 21:00:39 (permalink)
    interesting... How much did they pay you for this? Did they bring their own drums? Or play yours? How about the guitars? Sure they brought their own, but did you mic the amps? Or did they play direct?

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    dontletmedrown
    RE: Newest Sonar Project: Brutal F'ing Metal 2008/09/10 21:16:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: robby

interesting... How much did they pay you for this? Did they bring their own drums? Or play yours? How about the guitars? Sure they brought their own, but did you mic the amps? Or did they play direct?

I currently charge $400 per song when I record at home. They used their own drums. We were trying to move very fast so I honestly don't know what kind of drums he was using. I used samples on kick and snare and also ran them through a distressor. There is only one guitarist. I had him record two passes (one left, one right) through my Marshall Mode Four->UA-M610->Firepod. I also used a room mic (Neuman TLM103->Firepod) to capture the low chuggs in the bridge (the part where he says, "Why... Why... Why"). Let me know if you have any other questions.
    post edited by dontletmedrown - 2008/09/10 21:20:56
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: Newest Sonar Project: Brutal F'ing Metal 2008/09/10 21:22:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dontletmedrown

I currently charge $400 per song when I record at home. They used their own drums. We were trying to move very fast so I honestly don't know what kind of drums he was using. I used samples on kick and snare and also ran them through a distressor. There is only one guitarist. I had him record two passes (one left, one right) through my Marshall Mode Four->UA-M610->Firepod. I also used a room mic (Neuman TLM103->Firepod) to capture the low chuggs in the bridge (the part where he says, "Why... Why... Why"). Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cool man :-) Thanks! Do you specialize in this type of music? Do you record other styles? Obviously you would if people coughed up the $$ :-) I'm just wondering if this is your main market, or if you also do pop, country, etc? Pretty cool that you whipped this out in 2 days? I'm impressed. I can't finish a friggen project in less than a month!

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    dontletmedrown
    RE: Newest Sonar Project: Brutal F'ing Metal 2008/09/11 10:35:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: robby

Cool man :-) Thanks! Do you specialize in this type of music? Do you record other styles? Obviously you would if people coughed up the $$ :-) I'm just wondering if this is your main market, or if you also do pop, country, etc? Pretty cool that you whipped this out in 2 days? I'm impressed. I can't finish a friggen project in less than a month!

Yeah, I really didnt have a choice. We only had two days to work on the song so we all tried hard to move fast. Usually I charge a per-song rate and offer [mostly] unlimited time. This was the first time I ever really had to rush.

I'd say I specialize in hard rock/metal type stuff. So far I've recorded/mixed the following genres: Rock, Metal, Pop, Reggae, Country, Hip Hop, and Folk. I guess I enjoy being a multi-genre guy. My CD collection certainly reflects that as well.

Thanks again for listening guys!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1