wavelab studio 6 or soundforge 9 ??

Author
zini
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
2008/09/08 13:22:04 (permalink)

wavelab studio 6 or soundforge 9 ??

Does anyone have any opinions on the relative merits of wavelab studio 6 (the $299 version) versus soundforge 9 (also $299)?

I am mainly looking for an audio editor for mastering and cd authoring. Up until now, I have done my mastering in sonar. I have a variety of VST plugs.

Does the wavelab studio version skimp on too much to be valuable?

Thanks.
-zini

8 Replies Related Threads

ivanSC
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 325
    RE: wavelab studio 6 or soundforge 9 ?? 2008/09/08 13:41:03 (permalink)
    Yep - I`d like to know which comes closest to the Pro Tools ease of use.
    I have an old Wavelab demo and Audacity, neither of which allow pinpoint accuracy of editing or for that matter editing in multitrack mode on an individual track mode like PT.

This is not an "I love Pro Tools" post, simply that PT is the only audio editor I have used that I really liked & I am fast approaching the time when I do need to be able to do mulittrack edits, not just stereo.
    space_cowboy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: wavelab studio 6 or soundforge 9 ?? 2008/09/08 13:55:47 (permalink)
    I had wavelab through version 4 and stopped upgrading. I have SF9d or whatever the latest is. It pretty much does all I ask of it.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    Geokauf
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 912
    RE: wavelab studio 6 or soundforge 9 ?? 2008/09/08 13:58:14 (permalink)
    Does anyone have any opinions on the relative merits of wavelab studio 6 (the $299 version) versus soundforge 9 (also $299)?

Hello,

Wavelab Studio 6 is the "light" version of WaveLab. SoundForge 9 is the full-blown version with nothing held back. I am a long time Wavelab user and I still use WaveLab for most of my pinpoint editing. However as a value proposition, SoundForge blows Wavelab out of the water with: a better CD authoring tool (CD Architect) which is a standalone app, Noise Reduction (an excellent broad-band noise reduction plug (fans noise and the like) for forensic work, the fantastic Ozone plugs and just about everything that Wavelab has except Wavelab's magnificent "montage" feature (for which you can actually use Sonar to replace).

Regards,
    George
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    RE: wavelab studio 6 or soundforge 9 ?? 2008/09/08 15:10:21 (permalink)
    The Montage feature in Wavelab is a must for serious mastering work. I always found Soundforge far too limiting. Sony does pack some good plugins and CD Architect is just about the best CD authoring tool out there for PC. But a multi-track environment is just necessary for almost any kind of editing.

I agree though, Wavelab 6 would be a better investment than Wavelab 6 studio.

Why not try Adobe Audition also. It is the easiest to use out of all the programs, the best destructive and non destructive integration, and it has Izotope tools, plus a great spectral editor. (More radio stations use Audition than any other software for editing and production)
    MarlboroMan23
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 776
    RE: wavelab studio 6 or soundforge 9 ?? 2008/09/08 15:46:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rumleymusic

Why not try Adobe Audition also. It is the easiest to use out of all the programs, the best destructive and non destructive integration, and it has Izotope tools, plus a great spectral editor. (More radio stations use Audition than any other software for editing and production)

I currently use SF9 but unless they really uncork something special for SF10 I'm swithing to Adobe Audition 3. Audition seems to be getting more and better upgrade features than SF lately. If you have academic connections you can get either for about $150.

most authors of novels regarded as classics are dead, classic novels are, therefore, most likely to be written by dead people.
    http://www.soundclick.com/opaquesounds
    zini
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: wavelab studio 6 or soundforge 9 ?? 2008/09/08 16:28:07 (permalink)
    thanks!

can anyone speak to the bundled plugs and cd authoring abilities of Adobe Audition?

my main priorities are, in order:

1 sound quality (quality of bundled plugs/tools)
    2 ability to author pro CD for replication
    3 price (would like to stay under $400, tho)

rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    RE: wavelab studio 6 or soundforge 9 ?? 2008/09/08 17:39:00 (permalink)
    CD authoring in Audition is very similar to wavelab in some respects. Adding tracks with zero gaps is done by means of markers which are saved with the file and interpreted by the CD session as separate tracks. (This can be done in the destructive edit view or the multi-track view, in which case the marker are saved on audio export. It is also fully compatible with CD text for redbook authoring.

Audition has a Multiband Compressor/ Limiter and tube modeled compression by Izotope and also realtime time/pitch by Izotope. There is a full range of dynamic plugs and filters for almost any scenario. They also have a full range of good quality noise reduction plugins including a realtime adaptive noise filter. It is not a "Creative" environment like sonar (you won't find any synths or creative sound altering tools), but more of a post production environment.
    Anubis
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1059
    RE: wavelab studio 6 or soundforge 9 ?? 2008/09/10 23:38:25 (permalink)
    Wavelab, hands down.

X2Studio_Win7(64)_SamsungChronos_QuNexus_QuNeo_Axiom25_Saffire24Pro_Saffire6USB_EdirolPCR300_Nocturn
    Amplitubes_AmpegSVX_StylusRMX_SampleTank/Tron_Komplete7_AddictiveDrums_TRacks3_Wavelab6
    miTunes
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1