Kick & Punch... not karate...

Author
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
2008/09/08 22:23:45 (permalink)

Kick & Punch... not karate...

I started a new thread on this because I thought this might be a useful thread for many....

It amazes me Guitarhacker that you run a security company or own one and are still using MC4? I don't get it, I mean I've heard about everything on the songs forums and the stuff with the stronger punch in the sound of the songs are using Sonar or something else. What's your secret? Compression? Recording method? Or what? Or all of the above. Technique? Just wondering?

Bobby

Bobby, I really don't "do" anything special...but let me see if I can tell you what I do and how I do it. I use MC4...the low end product from Cake because it works well. It gives diigital quality and doesn't have alot of frills and options to distract me. It records what I give it....straight from the Saffire interface. I use not mixer on my audio tracks...mic is straight in and my guitar is through my POD2.

First...drums & bass are midi. drums are Jamstix....bass is midi with SFZ playing a soundfont. I go for as much bass and low end as possible in the tracks, without distortion. In Jamstix I use the mixer to kick the bottom end up a few db, I scoop the mids and boost the highs. For the bass, I use a hot & heavy bass font. Playing the bass guitar part to compliment (hit the notes with the kick) is something I try to do all the time.
I try to get the tracks sounding as good as possible without any FX in them. recorded dry. then I use as little fx as possible. If it doesn't sound good without FX...and it doesn't have punch, FX are not necessarilly going to give it to you automatically. Often, they will only make a bad mix sound worse.

Up until about 2 or 3 weeks ago, I used only the cakewalk FX compressor & reverb in the master track..... I have recently bought ozone 3 and have been using that to remaster my tunes. BUT.... the punch in the music has to be there before the mastering is done....mastering is not a magical process that makes a bad mix/recording suddenly sound good.

There's a saying that you can't fix it in the mix....or something like that... and there is truth to that.

So to get more kick and punch in your music..... pay close attention to the kick drum, bass guitar, the interplay between the notes and the level of those frequencies.

Short story here: I was at a gig listening to another band. The guitar player was setting at the table with me and we were listening to another guitar player "set in" with the band on a song. The guitar player turned to me and said "Rick makes me sick...he gets a really good tone out of my guitar & amp...Why can't I get it to sound like that?" After pondering that for a while... I came to the conclusion that it's not the equipment..it's how the equipment is used that makes it sound good or not. Listen to the music that has that kick & punch and try to duplicate it...figure out how "they" do it.
post edited by Guitarhacker - 2008/09/09 08:24:45

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 

15 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Kick & Punch... not karate... 2008/09/08 22:32:52 (permalink)
    +1

AMEN.

I have sonar 6 PE, but it's got the SAME AUDIO ENGINE as MC4. It just has more "toys" than MC4.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Kick & Punch... not karate... 2008/09/08 22:57:39 (permalink)
    I have been a victim of self-over-complication, and try to live by the axiom, "simplify, simplify".
    Who said that?

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Kick & Punch... not karate... 2008/09/09 06:49:09 (permalink)

Nicely put Herb.

In an ideal world the only mixing and mastering I'd like to do is setting the track levels and the panning of the various parts.

Although that isn't a realistic option, I always start from that point and add my enhancements - I think that with the technology and the toys available to us these days, it's often too much of a temptation to add loads of processors and effects and then remove those that aren't cutting the mustard.

I think it's the 'kid in the sweet shop' mentality that we buy into that leads us to believe that because we can run a project with loads of tracks with four of five VST's in every strip that that's what we have to do.

I learned three things early on and I try to stick to them as far as possible, they echo everything you mention in your post I believe:

* Rubbish In = Rubbish Out
    * You can't always fix it in the mix [aka - 'you can't polish a t**d!]
    * Less is More

You talk a lot of sense on these matters Herb and I've picked up some great tips from your website - I'd advise anyone who hasn't already checked it out to take a look.

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Guitarhacker
    RE: Kick & Punch... not karate... 2008/09/09 08:24:14 (permalink)
    In an ideal world the only mixing and mastering I'd like to do is setting the track levels and the panning of the various parts.

Often, when I finish a song and start to "mix" the tracks....raise & lower the levels ..... I end up setting the levels at the beginning of a tune, and leaving them set at that same level throughout the song...... and for a while, I thought "something is wrong".... I am not having to "twist the knobs"...I should be Mixing this... you know...doing something.

The truth is: if the levels are good, and the result sounds good... don't do something just to be doing something. Don't insert a plugin just to insert a plug in.....do it ONLY if it ADDS somthing useful to the mix.

Even now...and I do use the volume automation function when I need to.... on playback, my faders are mostly setting still.

BMI/NSAI

Nutty
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2056
    RE: Kick & Punch... not karate... 2008/09/09 10:26:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Guitarhacker
    Even now...and I do use the volume automation function when I need to.... on playback, my faders are mostly setting still.

Hi Herb,

Can you explain the volume automation? It touches very lightly on automation in the tutorial, but it's not explained very well. When, why and how do you use it?

I've always thought your mixes were well done. I've listen to all your songs on sound click and really appreciate the "simpleness". In the end, I want it to sound like me! I do use band in a box (BiaB) which is great for a back track and some instruments that I cannot play, but I replace everything I can do myself to make it mine as much as possble. The biggest thing I get from that program is that I can now stay on time with the rhythm. A metronome would do the same thing, but BiaB is much easier. Also, I already have the tune and the chords befroe I go to BiaB, so it is not writing the songs for me.

Thanks.

Nutty

Nutty /Annette
    http://www.soundclick.com/atmmusic
    Using: Sonar 8 Studio; Band in a Box; PreSonus Firebox; M-Audio Axiom 25; Mics: Audio Technica ATM610, MXL 990/991; M-Audio Studiophile AV 30 Reference Speakers and many guitars
    Guitarhacker
    RE: Kick & Punch... not karate... 2008/09/09 12:06:50 (permalink)
    Automation is easy.

I like to start the project from the beginning.... set your levels manually to where you want them to start the tune.... Then go to console view. In the track you want to automate the parameters in..... click on the "W" in the track control panel and it turns RED.

I generally like to do the automation one track at a time.

Simply start the project playing and as you need to increase or decrease that track's level ...just drag the fader up or down. A volume enveolpe is automatically created starting from the levels you set at the beginning, and gets written into the track. You can switch back to track view and it appears in the track as a line of varying color depending on the type of envelope. You can have several envelopes in a single track.

You can edit this envelope or delete it easily. You can create envelopes for volume and panning easily in this manner.

To edit the envelope, open track view and zoom in a bit so the envelope is ease to see and work with. You can right click on the envelope and add nodes...the little ball looking things on the line....you can also delete them..same way. Click and drag the nodes to where you need them to edit the envelope.....if the volume needed to come up sooner and higher....drag the node to the exact place and it's done....when you playback the track...the program reads the automation envelope and does the work for you.

I generally automate vocals, guitars, keyboards, and speciality instruments...

Bass & drums pretty much need to be constant in the song so they don't get automated. I have however, used automation in Jamstix to contol the power levels, and that works well for giving the drums some dynamics.

BMI/NSAI

Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Kick & Punch... not karate... 2008/09/09 12:27:48 (permalink)
    I read your thread at JS on this interesting stuff for sure.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Nutty
    RE: Kick & Punch... not karate... 2008/09/09 13:07:43 (permalink)
    Okay. Not 100% sure about this yet. I guess I always start my tracks with what MC gives me. I never thought about changing it until it's all done. So what settings do you change before starting to record? I read a little bit about automation in the help files. It appears it more or less just copies your settings? Can this become a template for other projects or is it only good the the current project? "...increase or decrease that track's level"...what is the track level? Just volume? The help files say that you can use it for panning and I forget what else. Are these separate envelopes or are they all kept in the same one? I don't much about envelopes yet, but I get the sense they are used a lot. If it makes recording easier than I should find out sooner than later about this feature!

This thread gives me the opportunity to ask this question about volume. When recording, at what level should the volume be on your speakers or headphones? I ask because sometimes the volume on the midi tracks or audio tracks isn't loud enough, so you can turn up the volume on the speakers or mixer or whatever. But I was thinking there should be a standard so you know when you should adjust the volume on the preamp and not the overall volume or change the velocity or whatever on the midi track. I know that most times when I import the file from Band in a Box as a midi file, 127 is often not loud enough and there is no way to change it except with FX (as far as I'm aware). Or should I crank my system up and base the recording of the audio on the volume I have set for the midi files. I just thought there should be some kind of threshold that would make the recording better. I know everybody's system is different as well. For example, the vocals could be very loud on my system and then some else listens to it and they say the can't hear the vocals. Hope this makes sense. "Inquiry minds want to know".

Thanks.

Nutty

Nutty /Annette
    Using: Sonar 8 Studio; Band in a Box; PreSonus Firebox; M-Audio Axiom 25; Mics: Audio Technica ATM610, MXL 990/991; M-Audio Studiophile AV 30 Reference Speakers and many guitars
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: Kick & Punch... not karate... 2008/09/09 13:34:10 (permalink)
    When in the recording phase, playback volumes are not important. The recording level, the volume of the sound coming "in" is the important one. It should be around the middle of the scale, so to speak. Loud enough to produce a good clean wave, loud enough to be over the noise floor if it is a live recording through a mic, but never near the clipping area.
    A key for playback volume, You mention a midi track at 127, the highest level in the midi field. That goes through an audio channel, which is probably at "0". But you can't hear it over some of the other tracks...turn the volume of everything else down. Even if getting the low levels out means you have to turn your amplifier up to "8", we are not working on the mix yet. We are still getting good solid recordings, and the only reason you might want the other things playing is to help remember where you are in the song. After the tracks are recorded, volume levels take on a whole new meaning, and a whole new topic for discussion.
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    Guitarhacker
    RE: Kick & Punch... not karate... 2008/09/09 14:56:16 (permalink)
    Volume is another word for level. I generally try to get my input levels as high as possible ...with out clipping (distortion). This is not always possible. But there is a fix for that too....I'll go into later.

I have toyed with the ideas of setting up templates but ultimatly rejected that idea. When you understand MC4...it really doen't take up alot of time to set up a new project from scratch. I don't use MC4 to write songs so grabbing an idea quickly is not a concern to me. I write my songs on paper and then set down to record only when the song idea is complete.

Envelopes: When you create the envelope...it physically appears in the track you have applied it to, and is visible as a light blue or green line in the TRACK VIEW. Each track can have multiple envelopes for volume, panning, and other midi & control functions....and each envelope is seperate and distinct from the others in that track...so when you have more than one envelope in a track, you must be careful when editing the envelopes to be sure you have the right one.

As far as volume: You need to do what you need to do to get the levels in your monitors or headphones loud enough so you can work & record properly. I like to have my incoming (input) levels as high as possible. The higher the level the better the signal to noise ratio will be...which is good. Do not allow clipping.

When working with midi & TTS you will have essentially 2 volume controls for each track. One is the midi source track which is just "THAT" particular instrument and TTS synth which controls ALL the midi tracks levels coming in to it. With SFZ you have 2 tracks with level controls but both are related to ONE instrument only. I generally set these levels where I need them to hear clearly what I'm doing..

REMEMBER: There are no hard & fast rules here...do what you need to make it work for you.

Same thing goes for recording audio...try to get the levels as hot as you can without clipping...you don't want ANY meters to be in the red....midi or audio. Once you have the audio track recorded...you will have a waveform in the track. My waveforms are generally small (less than 50%)....which equates to a lower overall volume on playback...even with the fader up...so I use a function in MC4 called normalize. Some people don't like to use it....for varied reasons, I however, find it useful. Normalizing raises the levels in the audio track to a higher level (generally about 85% average) and stops just short of allowing the peaks to clip. I mentioned I use it....no one has ever posted that the vox or guitar sound like they were normalized.... highlight the track....click process>audio>normalize>ok

When mixing your tracks, if you have a certain track that is lower in levels, it's sometimes better to lower everything else to blend, than it is to raise that one track if it introduces distortion or clipping. Get a good blended and clean mix, because you can always use a wave editor, and other tools to raise the final level of the finished track.

When you have a finished and balanced mix...the track should sound similar on everybody's systems.

Nutty...it's alot of work, and there's alot to learn, but you have the spirit to learn this stuff...as evidenced by the fact that you are still here, and still asking questions...so keep on trucking and you'll get it accomplished.

edit: read Al's post right above this one. ++++
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2008/09/09 14:57:59

BMI/NSAI

57Gregy
    RE: Kick & Punch... not karate... 2008/09/09 15:56:11 (permalink)
    Annette, when you import a MIDI file and the 'volume' is at 127, is that the track volume or the note volumes? There is a difference. The volume level is just that; how loud that track can go with the slider. If the velocity of a note is 29, and the volume is 127, it's not going to be very loud. You can see and edit MIDI velocities in the event list view. Click on one of your imported MIDI tracks and select the event list. What is the velocity values of the notes? They can be increased to 127, which for most instruments will be pretty loud if you have the volume slider set at 127, too.
    When mixing, if a track isn't loud enough in comparison to other tracks, even when the slider is all the way up, lower the other track's volumes until you get consistent, hearable levels.
    When using volume automation, it's a matter of preference and dynamics. You might want the intro of a song to be loud, and then lower the volume of the instruments when the vocals come in, or you may want to increase the volume of a particular instrument relative to the other tracks at some point during the song.
    It's all a matter of taste, and how you want the song to sound.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.

Nutty
    RE: Kick & Punch... not karate... 2008/09/09 17:43:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Guitarhacker
    Nutty...it's alot of work, and there's alot to learn, but you have the spirit to learn this stuff...as evidenced by the fact that you are still here, and still asking questions...so keep on trucking and you'll get it accomplished.

Hi Guitarhacker,

Thanks for the information. Give me some time to process it/apply it and I'll see if it sinks in.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am working on a song right now that is almost ready to be mixed, thus all the questions. But, I think it is important to understand it. Everyone is bearing with me and I do really appreciate it. Once I get a handle on it I should be okay. The other DAW I used was much simpler for applying FX and working the buses, so this is a big change for me. Even with the other DAW I only mixed one song and now I realize it wasn't that good, although I was prettty proud of it at the time. The one thing I have learned is patience. As eager as I am to produce something, I'm taking the time now to get it as good as I can. And some things are still a bit foreign to me like automation and envelopes. But if I can find a scenario where I should use them, that would help learning when and how to use them. I have learned a ton of stuff about midi too. There's still more, but at least I have a much better idea of what it's about.

All this to say, there's no running away now. In fact, I thought I would try the harmony option in my old DAW, but quickly realized I didn't know how to use it anymore!

Thanks everyone for your continued support.

Nutty/Annette

Nutty /Annette
    Nutty
    RE: Kick & Punch... not karate... 2008/09/09 17:54:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: 57Gregy

Annette, when you import a MIDI file and the 'volume' is at 127, is that the track volume or the note volumes?

Thanks Greg,

This helps a lot. I was only looking at the track volume level. I thought that was all that was available. In the project I have now, I can't hear the bass at all. So, if I go to the event list and change the volume there, I should be fine? I already lowered the audio tracks to fit in with the midi tracks with the exception of the bass. I don't know why the volume is so low on that track.

I just opened the event list and the last two columns have no heading, but I believe the second last column on the right is the velocity. It ranges from 50 to 89. Is there away to increase the velocity by a precentage? Or do you have to go through each note?? That would take forever, so there must be a simpler way. The bass came from Band in a Box.

Thanks again.

Annette

Nutty /Annette
    57Gregy
    RE: Kick & Punch... not karate... 2008/09/09 18:01:25 (permalink)
    The second column from the right is velocity. Double-click the number and you will get a box to lower or raise the velocity level.
    Check this forum for a post in which Beagle wrote of how to edit MIDI velocities much easier than changing each note's velocity one at a time. And some songs can have thousands of notes, which could take some time.
    I'll see if I can find it, too.
    Edit: here it is http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1472696
    post edited by 57Gregy - 2008/09/09 18:04:36

Greg 

Nutty
    RE: Kick & Punch... not karate... 2008/09/09 18:43:50 (permalink)
    Oh I just found it too!

So, I use the first method, it is non-destructive which is great for trying it out. What would I have to do to make it destructive?

Thanks.

Annette (off to increase the volume of my bass track!)

EDIT: Hmm I'm afraid I need further instructions. I "played" with all the buttons, but didn't have any luck. I think I would adjusted it by a percentage for now. But, it probably would be good to know how to adjust certain sections (e.g. a bit louder in the chorus). Thanks.
    post edited by Nutty - 2008/09/09 18:49:56

Nutty /Annette
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1