No Sound Kontakt 3/Sonar 7PE 64bit

Author
jjloving
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 42
2008/09/09 13:58:52 (permalink)

No Sound Kontakt 3/Sonar 7PE 64bit

First let me say that I don't think this is an issue with Sonar - I feel strongly that this is something wrong with Kontakt...unfortunately since NI doesn't support 64bit systems, all tech support has said is "try uninstalling and reinstalling Kontakt. Wait for Kontakt x64."

Here goes - I'm working on a choral piece with EastWest Symphonic Choirs, using the Kontakt Only Men & Women's multis.

4 MIDI tracks (SATB) sending out of Sonar to Wordbuilder with virtual MIDI cables (loopBe30), each Wordbuilder voice set to either Men or Women, then sending back into Sonar (each on a separate cable, channels 1-10). I have 10 MIDI tracks set to receive each voice (separately) in Sonar with Input Echo enabled, and then each of these tracks sends to the appropriate Kontakt instance, again on channels 1-10. Each Kontakt instance is then routed to the appropriate synth/audio track based on mic position (C F S).

if that doesn't make any sense , see my setup guide here: http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/showthread.php?t=15355

Kontakt is receiving from Wordbuilder/the receiving MIDI tracks, as the keys are moving, number of used voices is changing, and CPU/disk use meters in Kontakt are active as well, but there's no audio output. To make sure the samples were being found, and that my routing was ok, I went into instrument edit mode, and then to Kontakt's internal Wave editor where I selected a sample, and it played just fine. Kontakt's output meters were active, as well as the meters in Sonar, and it came through my monitors without issue.

So it seems the MIDI data is getting lost in Kontakt - it will not produce any audio output whether the data is on the track, or inputted live from my MIDI keyboard. On all the tracks I have my controllers set up in a short clip, and none of them are set in a way that they would interfere (i.e. CC11, CC7 are all at mid-range values), and there's no stray controller data elsewhere on the tracks as I have checked this in both the PRV and Event List views. This was a working setup, so it's possible I've unknowingly changed something, or maybe it just quit working - hard for me to say.

It's important to note that this only happens with Symphonic Choirs, all other libraries work without issue. My computer specs, if relevant, are in my sig, let me know if any more information is needed or would be helpful.

Any thoughts or suggestions are most appreciated.

Jon

2 Replies Related Threads

kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: No Sound Kontakt 3/Sonar 7PE 64bit 2008/09/09 16:25:35 (permalink)
    You're sending to the correct MIDI port/channel?

And Kontakt is set to output to your Main audio channel?

When you click the icon with three sliders (Show Output), and run, do the meters jump here?

Press the Conf. (configure) button -- where are they connected?

--kwgm
    jjloving
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: No Sound Kontakt 3/Sonar 7PE 64bit 2008/09/09 17:02:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kwgm

You're sending to the correct MIDI port/channel?

Yep - both by watching meters, and checking each tracks I'm positive everything is sending where it needs to be. All 40 "receiving" channels (10 per voice) in Sonar really are receiving from Wordbuilder, and all 10 instruments in each Kontakt multi show activity in the "voices used" as well as the keys being active.

And Kontakt is set to output to your Main audio channel?

Each Kontakt instance outputs to a bus based on mic position - I jumbled that up a bit in the first post - the busses feed a "Master" bus which sends to the main out. I tried sending directly to the Main out from kontakt, but there was no change.

When you click the icon with three sliders (Show Output), and run, do the meters jump here?

Press the Conf. (configure) button -- where are they connected?

by run I assume you mean the project (if not you'll need to explain that, lol) - no they don't move here when playing the project, and the volume indicators on each instrument don't indicate activity either, despite Kontakt showing CPU, disk, and voices being active.

They're connected to: "Kt. 1-2[1] -- plugin out #1" and "Kt. 1-2[2] -- plugin out #2", and I've verified that all instruments in each multi are set to this output, as well as the synth track for each instance. Again, if I go to the wav editor, I can play the individual samples just fine, and all meters in Kontakt and Sonar are active as they should be, so it doesn't seem the problem lies in the routing since it can find it's way to my monitors.

I could be wrong though - believe it or not it's happened before

Any ideas? Will throwing something heavy at it help?!

Jon

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1