Sonar 8

Author
kb420
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1839
2008/09/09 18:42:47 (permalink)

Sonar 8

Here's the link to a thread about a Sonar 8 advertisement in EQ magazine.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1481059&mpage=1&key=�

"Now, excuse me while I jump into my Jaguar; I need to board my private jet for the usual weekend trip to my mansion on the Big Island. I think Trixie, Crystal, and Heather are already there...must not keep them waiting in the hot tub!"

-Craig Anderton-

22 Replies Related Threads

jmeier
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: Sonar 8 2008/09/09 19:35:47 (permalink)
    Sonar 8, now featuring Project 5...

Sounds good to me, I've always thought the integration was a natural within-company merger. I think this proves that p5 was the right track for quite a few things.

I hope that p5 users get a good deal on the upgrade from P5 to S8.
    cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Sonar 8 2008/09/09 20:14:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jmeier

I have no idea how you came to that conclusion. As far as I can see, the only new feature in that accidentally leaked Sonar 8 ad that bears any resemblance to P5 is the integrated synth track.

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

kb420
    RE: Sonar 8 2008/09/09 21:02:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: cryophonik

ORIGINAL: jmeier

I have no idea how you came to that conclusion. As far as I can see, the only new feature in that accidentally leaked Sonar 8 ad that bears any resemblance to P5 is the integrated synth track.

Uh, I think the guy was just trying to be sarcastic.

It's soo funny to me how many threads here about a P5 update never get answered by anyone from Cakewalk, but the first thread about Sonar 8 already has 3 or 4 repsonses from Cakewalk.
    post edited by kb420 - 2008/09/09 21:04:28

"Now, excuse me while I jump into my Jaguar; I need to board my private jet for the usual weekend trip to my mansion on the Big Island. I think Trixie, Crystal, and Heather are already there...must not keep them waiting in the hot tub!"

-Craig Anderton-
    candlesayshi
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 694
    RE: Sonar 8 2008/09/09 21:41:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kb420
    It's soo funny to me how many threads here about a P5 update never get answered by anyone from Cakewalk, but the first thread about Sonar 8 already has 3 or 4 repsonses from Cakewalk.

Are we allowed to start a riot or something?

That'd be fun...
    jmeier
    RE: Sonar 8 2008/09/09 22:16:56 (permalink)
    Uh, I think the guy was just trying to be sarcastic.

Mostly yes. But the midi loop explorer is also awfully close to p5 functionality.

FWIW: I really don't see anything wrong with using p5 ideas in Sonar. I do have both products and use both.
    DayDrumFour
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    RE: Sonar 8 2008/09/09 23:33:30 (permalink)
    What's a loop explorer view?

Is that going to be like a pattern composer window?

(That doesn't sound good for the P5 crowd that's dying for an update.)

Beatscape Loop Instrument????

Integrated Synth Tracks??????????

Definitely doesn't sound good for P5 fans, but great for Sonar users.

That sounds GREAT for P5 fans!

If the features that made P5 good can be found in the company's flagship program, we all win.

An D-Pro'ish upgrade deal for P5ers would be nice though.

I have authentic analog drum machine samples.
    Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: Sonar 8 2008/09/10 02:28:59 (permalink)
    I've been "suggesting" wrapping P5 into Sonar for quite some time now. It makes sense. Most people have and/or use both programs. Each has its place in modern production. Will be interesting to see how these new bolt-ons work, and how close to P5's components they are.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    kb420
    RE: Sonar 8 2008/09/10 05:24:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DayDrumFour

What's a loop explorer view?

Is that going to be like a pattern composer window?

(That doesn't sound good for the P5 crowd that's dying for an update.)

Beatscape Loop Instrument????

Integrated Synth Tracks??????????

Definitely doesn't sound good for P5 fans, but great for Sonar users.

That sounds GREAT for P5 fans!

If the features that made P5 good can be found in the company's flagship program, we all win.

An D-Pro'ish upgrade deal for P5ers would be nice though.

There are some here that didn't want P5 wrapped in Sonar, and those are the fans I was referring to. They wanted the two to remain seperate programs, and then there are some who said that it couldn't be done because of the audio engine.

It looks like Cake did address the audio engine, and they are giving Sonar features that bring it closer to what P5 is aimed at doing.

Personally, I think it's great for everyone. P5 is never going to get the kind of development attention that Sonar gets, so the best thing for every P5 user who's a loyal Cakewalk customer is that P5 and Sonar merge some type of way.
    post edited by kb420 - 2008/09/10 05:27:27

-Craig Anderton-
    Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: Sonar 8 2008/09/10 07:16:21 (permalink)

...Personally, I think it's great for everyone. P5 is never going to get the kind of development attention that Sonar gets, so the best thing for every P5 user who's a loyal Cakewalk customer is that P5 and Sonar merge some type of way.

+1

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: Sonar 8 2008/09/10 08:38:25 (permalink)

I've always promoted the idea that P5 should be available as a vsti -- for that sort of integration with Sonar and every other host that doesn't have P5 midi pattern and track features
    but that seems less likely as more P5 features are pulled into Sonar

I've also suggested shipping P5 with a better set of 'starter' intruments. Given the instruments that would seem to be shipping with Sonar 8, that's happening, but with the wrong program.
    Since the hard core of Sonar users came up recording their guitars and vocals and other instruments, the inclusion of a beat thingie and Dim Pro and a True Piano and Guitar Rig is just on the borderline of appealing to electronic musicians/composers that have been P5's core users. It's a very interesting set of choices from that point of view -- sort of a transitional set.

syrath
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4075
    RE: Sonar 8 2008/09/10 09:00:48 (permalink)

There are some here that didn't want P5 wrapped in Sonar, and those are the fans I was referring to. They wanted the two to remain seperate programs, and then there are some who said that it couldn't be done because of the audio engine.

I still dont think that the engine will be as gapless as P5s, or Lives, even with the update. I also dont want to see P5 wrapped up in Sonar, since I still like Project5 and I still use it as my goto for making up tracks (in much the same way that people use Reason).

It looks like Cake did address the audio engine, and they are giving Sonar features that bring it closer to what P5 is aimed at doing.

Personally, I think it's great for everyone. P5 is never going to get the kind of development attention that Sonar gets, so the best thing for every P5 user who's a loyal Cakewalk customer is that P5 and Sonar merge some type of way.

Oh , I agree that putting the P5 features into Sonar is a great thing for Sonar. I would still love to see Sonar get the P5 pattern editor, I would be in heaven then. Failing that I would still like to see P5 as a developing product.

However, on the flip side of this , is that the more Project5 features that do appear in Sonar, then we less likely we are to seeing a P5 V3 update since sales in P5 will drop. This is one of the reasons Id prefer to see 2 separate developments.

Also just to point out that in the past I have mentioned that this forum has been used as a soap box for people to request that P5 be wrapped into Sonar. I will always maintain that this is still the wrong forum for that, if people want features in Sonar then they should drum up support in the Sonar forum, since here is a P5 peer to peer support forum, although it doesnt really get used for this nowadays.
    jmeier
    RE: Sonar 8 2008/09/10 09:11:47 (permalink)
    I'm just trying to get on a soapbox to advocate that P5 users should get a proper discount on Sonar 8 since it appears the feature set for Sonar 8 is increasingly relevant to a P5 user. P5 is still a perfectly good and useful product as is, of course.

That gapless audio engine (such as it is...) would be a huge step for Sonar--if they pull that off I'd be amazed and pleased beyond belief. That would make Sonar competitive with Ableton Live, which would be the first really radical reconfiguration of the Sonar model in quite some time.
    mumpcake
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Sonar 8 2008/09/10 09:41:40 (permalink)

I've also suggested shipping P5 with a better set of 'starter' intruments. Given the instruments that would seem to be shipping with Sonar 8, that's happening, but with the wrong program.

I totally agree. Rapture LE would seem to be more at place in P5 than Sonar, as would z3ta+. I also find it odd that Cyclone works better in Sonar than P5.

Since the hard core of Sonar users came up recording their guitars and vocals and other instruments, the inclusion of a beat thingie and Dim Pro and a True Piano and Guitar Rig is just on the borderline of appealing to electronic musicians/composers that have been P5's core users. It's a very interesting set of choices from that point of view -- sort of a transitional set.

I'll agree that the beat thing would seem to appeal more to P5's core user group, and that DP would appeal to both groups. However, True Piano and Guitar Rig seem more targeted to the Sonar core to me.
    jamescfrank
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Sonar 8 2008/09/10 09:47:58 (permalink)
    how difficult would it be for Cakewalk to allow better integration of P5 with Sonar, and by this i mean NO MORE REWIRE . . . is it almost impossible?

Wet Dentist is DEAD
    wrench45us
    RE: Sonar 8 2008/09/10 10:21:04 (permalink)

my humble suggestion to make P5 act as a virtual instrument would make integration simple and more or less painless

FL Studio does this and I'v used it in various veriosn as an instrument in P5 an dit works beautifully

energyXT is another host I'v eused as avirtual instrument within P5 to add variuous modular functions without a problem.

The beauty, of course, is P5 as vsti increases its potential market into a lot of other hosts that don't have its midi editing in pattern and track functions.
    This would also fit nicely with the reality of P5 as a downloadable product -- who needs starter instruments if one is adding P5 as an instrument.

But it's just an idea.

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Sonar 8 2008/09/10 10:53:08 (permalink)
    Though we will have to wait to see what is included in SONAR 8, it does look like it is co-opting some of the "best of" P5. And Wrench's idea of a VST is a good one - makes Stuart happy, keeps P5 separate, etc. et al.

I still think we may get the supersynth first - that has been one way Cake keeps the interest up for P5 for new users (or at least for the original Dimension). Wrap it up with P5 v3 (as a VSTi?) and sell it before releasing it as a stand alone.

If wishes were fishes we'd put lipstick on 'em.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    mumpcake
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Sonar 8 2008/09/10 12:08:40 (permalink)
    If wishes were fishes we'd put lipstick on 'em.

I think I'd rather put a panko crust on my fishes.
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Sonar 8 2008/09/10 13:10:28 (permalink)
    Depends on the fish!

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    kb420
    RE: Sonar 8 2008/09/10 16:27:05 (permalink)
    Well one thing is certain, Sonar 8 will arrive before anymore P5 updates.

-Craig Anderton-
    wrench45us
    RE: Sonar 8 2008/09/10 18:54:08 (permalink)

September 22

apparently even that September 15 date was inaccurate

ustudio
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1491
    RE: Sonar 8 2008/09/15 14:47:39 (permalink)
    heres a weird scenario , the reason reportedly that there will be a 7.5 released to is that sonar 8 will merge with Project 5, and that from now on project 5 will be the lite version of sonar, the reason so was that when working on project to add some of the enhancements that was being requested they noted that project the new version was better, so the opted to make sonar 8 off of the new project 5. This isn't for real just a hypotheses
    Well one thing is certain, Sonar 8 will arrive before anymore P5 updates.
    bulls hit
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 822
    RE: Sonar 8 2008/09/16 06:35:56 (permalink)
    Looks like Cakewalk are taking a leaf out of Universal Audio's book and 'accidentally' releasing an ad early, the same way the UAD-2 'accidentally' appeared for sale on MF & other sites. I love marketing people
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1