Sync MIDI to Audio

Author
don0518
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 26
2008/09/09 21:40:39 (permalink)

Sync MIDI to Audio

Hi!

I'm new with Synchronization. I have a audio clip of a pre-recorded song. I've written a drum track like the one on the audio track. Now I want to align my new midi drum track to the audio track so they both have the same tempo. i.e. I want to adjust the tempo of the midi track to the audio track. How do I do this? I thought I had seen this done before on one of the you-tube video presentations. Please use steps as I said I'm new to this. Thanks.

Don

6 Replies Related Threads

daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: Sync MIDI to Audio 2008/09/09 21:49:28 (permalink)
    Now I want to align my new midi drum track to the audio track so they both have the same tempo. i.e. I want to adjust the tempo of the midi track to the audio track.

You can't really do that very easily. You may be able to sync the audio to the MIDI using audio-snap, but it would be easier and probably better to re-record the project recording the MIDI tracks first. Then record the audio tracks using the MIDI track as your guide.
    post edited by daveny5 - 2008/09/09 21:50:46

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    don0518
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Sync MIDI to Audio 2008/09/09 22:02:44 (permalink)
    Thanks for your response, Dave.

The audio is from a CD. I can't re-record it. So, how would I get the audio track to follow the midi track as you suggested using audio-snap? I'm sorry - I'm just really learning Sonar. (Im using PE6).
    ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    RE: Sync MIDI to Audio 2008/09/09 22:09:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: don0518

Hi!

I'm new with Synchronization. I have a audio clip of a pre-recorded song. I've written a drum track like the one on the audio track. Now I want to align my new midi drum track to the audio track so they both have the same tempo. i.e. I want to adjust the tempo of the midi track to the audio track. How do I do this? I thought I had seen this done before on one of the you-tube video presentations. Please use steps as I said I'm new to this. Thanks.

Don

I personally don't use it alot (based on my type of workflow), but I think you should look deeply into AUDIO SNAP and it's ability to create tempo tracks, etc. This may be just what you're looking for, but AUDIO Snap does take some learning curve.

There are some good you-tube videos from CW on it, however.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    bunnyfluffer
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Sync MIDI to Audio 2008/09/09 22:10:23 (permalink)
    one of the ways this is done is like this:

import your audio track into sonar

loop a couple bars to determine the BPM

keep nudging the BPM faster/slower until the bars make a perfect loop (it may be in a fraction of a full BPM)

once you've determined the BPM allaign the audio to the start of a measure

if the audio was recorded with a click, and recorded digitally it should lock into place and hold sync

now you can adjust your midi drums to the audio, in sync

zungle
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2745
    RE: Sync MIDI to Audio 2008/09/10 02:23:03 (permalink)
    don0518

Studios have been syncing MIDI to Audio for years........

There are many fairly easy ways to accomplish this...........

Here is one easy way to get what you want.

1st. ........You need to find the recorded audio tempo.......and the downbeat of the opening measure

To do this.........

Listen to the track count it out and slide your audio until it begins on the down beat of the opening measure(assuming 4/4 time... etc)

When you do this leave your audio as a clip, don't convert to a groove clip or stretch audio.

Now turn on your audio metronome to play....... on play back..........

Have metronome set to same time signature that you counted ......ie... 4/4 etc.

Now play your clip...........you'll hear metronome.

Adjust the tempo up or down until audio metronome matches audio tempo..........you should also see the time line begin to line up more accurately with the audio.

Now a couple tips...........

Set the time line for M:B:T

Set snap to grid to 1/4 or 1/8...............off may be necessary

Use track magnification on audio for visible accuracy

Once tempo and entry beats have been established..........drop in your MIDI and go to work.

Keep in mind this method is basically for tracks that have been played or tracked against a metronome.

There are some awesome DAW engineers that can almost sync to anything but it can get real complex.....quantizing &stretching audio,tempo maps, moving small chords and pasting beats....etc.

I'm not even close to that level but if you tracked your audio, in time, the above should work

Good Luck

thomasabarnes
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3234
    RE: Sync MIDI to Audio 2008/09/10 03:10:59 (permalink)
    I'm having a problem with my Audio metronome staying in synch with my MIDI/Softsynths tracks. I think it's the drivers for my audio interfaces. I didn't use to have this problem when I used the kX drivers and a Creative card. I gotta hurry up and get that Echop Layla3G! Word is out they have some solid drivers for Vista.

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1