Compression vs Limiting

Author
RichardHiorns
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 89
2008/09/09 22:20:42 (permalink)

Compression vs Limiting

This is something that I really should know, having been recording for several years. But, I'm still confused about compression. I generally go with a preset for guitar, but vocals are always trickier. I was just now experimenting with compression, reverb and eq on vocal tracks. I tried out a limiter instead of a compressor and it seems to sound much better, clearer and brighter than any sound I have got before.
So my question is: can a limiter be used instead of a compressor on vocals? Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.
post edited by RichardHiorns - 2008/09/09 22:21:27

windows xp media center edition
hp pavillion athlon 64 bit dual processor
2048 mb memory
Cakewalk home studio 6 xl
m audio audiophile 192 pci card
art tube mp project series preamp
audio technica at 3035

14 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Compression vs Limiting 2008/09/09 22:25:00 (permalink)
    a limiter is just a compressor with the RATIO approaching infinity. Limiters probably will always sound better if you're used to listening to commercial music where they compress all of the dynamics out of the track. I would not use a limiter on vocals unless I was trying to go for a specific genre like death metal where it's all screaming vocals anyway and you want the most RMS out of the track you can get.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    RichardHiorns
    RE: Compression vs Limiting 2008/09/09 22:31:20 (permalink)
    Thanks for quick reply. I too hate over compressed music, basically, most modern commercial music. The setting I'm using, however, are very natural sounding, just louder and brighter. It's a preset called 'clean gentle enhance' (though there are some others that sound pretty good too)
    Settings are:
    attack - 0.28ms
    release - 122 ms
    soft knee - 5.96
    auto gain - in
    enhance - 100%
    output level - -0.0135
    auto comp - in

2048 mb memory
    audio technica at 3035
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: Compression vs Limiting 2008/09/09 22:38:18 (permalink)
    Though it's not strictly the case, generally limiters will have a zero attack time, i.e. they let none of the attack through (and if a brick wall limiter, then an infinite ratio in that they will not let anything above the threshold.) Most general purpose compressors have an adjustable attack time, and often won't give you a zero attack time, so they won't necessarily guarantee that nothing goes above the threshold since they don't clamp down immediately.

In practical usage terms, you would generally use a limiter when you don't want to manipulate the envelope of the sound, but just want to make sure it doesn't go over a particular level, and you'd use a compressor to adjust the envelope of the wave form, i.e. let some amount of the attack through, then pull down on the rest, i.e. make it punchier, less punchy, sharper, emptier sounding, etc... acording to how you set the attack and release.

But the lines are fuzzy and there are plenty of squishy scenarios in between. One example that kind of demonstrates the difference very clearly because it uses both of them together is the case of a bass track.

Some genres have bass lines that are inhumanly steady and smooth. One way to do this is to put a limiter on the base track and pull the threshold down considerably, so that there are no dynamics hardly left at all. What you end up with if you look at the wave form is more or less a bunch of flat sausages where all of the attack of the notes is removed so they are just flatted off, because the limiter starts chopping it down immediately.

Then, you put a compressor after the limiter, and set the attack for say, 30 or 50 or so milliseconds. Then what happens is that the compressor now puts some dynamics back, because it lets the first bit of each of those sausages through, but pulls down on the rest each one. But, because you limited the sausages first, the peaks are all absolutely the same. So you get some punch back into it, but it's absoultely consistent and steady.

So in this case, the limiter was used to prevent anything from going over a certain level, and the compressor was used to re-sculpt the envelope of each note, to make it back into a more realistic sound that attacks then decays.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    mixsit
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 789
    RE: Compression vs Limiting 2008/09/10 23:23:23 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RichardHiorns
    .. The setting I'm using, however, are very natural sounding, just louder and brighter. It's a preset called 'clean gentle enhance' (though there are some others that sound pretty good too)
    Settings are:
    attack - 0.28ms
    release - 122 ms
    soft knee - 5.96
    auto gain - in
    enhance - 100%
    output level - -0.0135
    auto comp - in
    Interesting, wondering what plug it is and if you know what the 'enhance function is?
    Another rather forward/present sound -where the comp/limit lines blur -Relatively fast attack, fast release and very low ratio. Here we'd be acting fast like a limiter, but the threshold is down into the envelope.
    As always -cherish transients choices -and choose 'relatively fast' carefully.
    post edited by mixsit - 2008/09/10 23:27:00

Wayne Smith
    Part time long time..
    CathouseSound 
    Mother Ships  - StudioCat DAWs   
    Portals - RME
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    RE: Compression vs Limiting vs Expanding 2008/09/11 00:17:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: droddey

Though it's not strictly the case, generally limiters will have a zero attack time, i.e. they let none of the attack through (and if a brick wall limiter, then an infinite ratio in that they will not let anything above the threshold.) Most general purpose compressors have an adjustable attack time, and often won't give you a zero attack time, so they won't necessarily guarantee that nothing goes above the threshold since they don't clamp down immediately.

In practical usage terms, you would generally use a limiter when you don't want to manipulate the envelope of the sound, but just want to make sure it doesn't go over a particular level, and you'd use a compressor to adjust the envelope of the wave form, i.e. let some amount of the attack through, then pull down on the rest, i.e. make it punchier, less punchy, sharper, emptier sounding, etc... acording to how you set the attack and release.

But the lines are fuzzy and there are plenty of squishy scenarios in between. One example that kind of demonstrates the difference very clearly because it uses both of them together is the case of a bass track.

Some genres have bass lines that are inhumanly steady and smooth. One way to do this is to put a limiter on the base track and pull the threshold down considerably, so that there are no dynamics hardly left at all. What you end up with if you look at the wave form is more or less a bunch of flat sausages where all of the attack of the notes is removed so they are just flatted off, because the limiter starts chopping it down immediately.

Then, you put a compressor after the limiter, and set the attack for say, 30 or 50 or so milliseconds. Then what happens is that the compressor now puts some dynamics back, because it lets the first bit of each of those sausages through, but pulls down on the rest each one. But, because you limited the sausages first, the peaks are all absolutely the same. So you get some punch back into it, but it's absoultely consistent and steady.

So in this case, the limiter was used to prevent anything from going over a certain level, and the compressor was used to re-sculpt the envelope of each note, to make it back into a more realistic sound that attacks then decays.

Dean, I really like your thoughtful example here. I wondered about 2-stage compression (using the the compressor/make-up gain to bring up the lows and then the limiter to level off peaks, for drums). You've given the opposite for bass guitar.

I suppose you could accomplish either 2-stage scenario by using 2 instances of a compressor VST in the FX bin.

Ozone3 VST multi-band compressor module places: (1) limiter and (2) compressor and (3) expander on top of each other. Each has separate threshold, attack/release and ratio settings.

An expander: is the opposite of compression. Low compression ratios (<1) enhance loudness below the expanders threshold. But it may be used as a gate when its compression ratios are highest (>1 to infinity). Few of us would dare to expound on attack/release settings of an expander. Methinks, few of us delight in expanding low level noise, period.

Mixsit noted A/R settings for limiters can be much lower, I think I understand this as: you're not limiting precious transients that exist in attack-waveforms, just offensive peaks that pop up too high.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    RichardHiorns
    RE: Compression vs Limiting vs Expanding 2008/09/11 03:09:32 (permalink)
    Is that a yes or a no?
    Here's the question again: Can a limiter be used instead of a compressor on vocals? Is this normal?

2048 mb memory
    audio technica at 3035
    kev11111111111111
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1772
    RE: Compression vs Limiting 2008/09/11 08:08:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: droddey

thats a really cool trick with the bass ! hmmm all this talk of sausages is making me hungry though lol

kev
    kev11111111111111
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1772
    RE: Compression vs Limiting vs Expanding 2008/09/11 08:13:46 (permalink)

Is that a yes or a no?
    Here's the question again: Can a limiter be used instead of a compressor on vocals? Is this normal?

I think what the posters are trying to say is that,yes u can use a limiter instead of a compressor.However the limiter will have less control on the attack / release envelope of the sound.But if it sounds good,then it sounds good,and you've acheived your purpose.
    K
    mixsit
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 789
    RE: Compression vs Limiting vs Expanding 2008/09/11 10:23:22 (permalink)

Is that a yes or a no?

You said you tried one that sounded good. The question might be focused a bit more to say 'which limiter' and when you include 'how deep will it need to go?' an L2 and an LA2 in limit mode might be two different animals.

Wayne Smith
    Part time long time..
    CathouseSound 
    Mother Ships  - StudioCat DAWs   
    Portals - RME
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Compression vs Limiting vs Expanding 2008/09/11 14:16:42 (permalink)

Is that a yes or a no?

Yes.

--kwgm
    R!Soc
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 660
    RE: Compression vs Limiting vs Expanding 2008/09/11 14:24:55 (permalink)

Is that a yes or a no?

What's wrong with the vocals that you think you need either one of these? What are you trying to accomplish?

If your vocals float between too loud and too soft, then perhaps a compressor would help you even that out, if that's what you're going for.

If your vocals are mostly how you want them, but peak once and a while, use a limiter to keep them from going over whatever level you want to keep them under.

If the vocals are good enough as is, don't use either.

It's like you're asking "What's better, a spoon or a wrench?". It depends on what you are trying to do.
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: Compression vs Limiting vs Expanding 2008/09/11 17:47:53 (permalink)
    And, as always, better yet use volume automation if you can afford the time. If all you are doing is trying to control peaks, and not sculpt the envelope, then volume automation is the most natural, lowest overhead scheme you can use. It doesn't introduce any processing into the picture and you have complete control.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    aaronk
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1275
    RE: Compression vs Limiting vs Expanding 2008/09/11 18:34:01 (permalink)
    Is that a yes or a no?

As noted above, a limiter is, essentially, just a simple type of compressor. Put another way, just about any compressor can be set to act as a limiter, but limiters can't be set to perform every possible type of compression.

Any processing tool can be used on any audio if you like the result.

Limiters commonly serve two purposes, one of which is useful:

(1) Saving the need to adjust input levels properly in the first place to avoid clipping.

(2) Where input levels have been properly set, a limiter can avoid clipping caused by occasional sharp transients, of the sort that sometimes occur with percussion (as an example)
    RichardHiorns
    RE: Compression vs Limiting vs Expanding 2008/09/12 01:45:19 (permalink)
    Thanks. Just to be clear about things here, I always draw in volume envelopes to deal with any spikes or dips on vocals. This is after putting a compressor in fx bin on a very subtle setting. But what I discovered about the limiter (sony oxford limiter btw) is that it actually seems to improve the sound quality. I record in a room with pretty poor acoustics, a lot of boominess that I can tame a little with eq. What the limiter seems to be doing is bringing out the sound that I want, i.e the vocal, and removing a lot of the noise. Maybe I'm imagining things after listening to same songs over and over. I was just wondering if anybody else had any experience using limiters on vocals.

2048 mb memory
    audio technica at 3035
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1