Daft Punk play "live"??

Author
hoponpop
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
2008/09/11 02:06:44 (permalink)

Daft Punk play "live"??

When Daft Punk (or any similar band) play live, how much is actualy played "live" besides their vocals?
Any of it?

4 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Daft Punk play "live"?? 2008/09/11 05:19:22 (permalink)
    depends on the band, and what they are using. DP use samplers etc.. and some of the stuff would be a pain to recreate or just too tricky to effect in real time on stage.

how many band members etc.. my friends band plays rarely as they use a live strings section, so it's expensive to have 14+ people on stage.. they have played live, but then there are days of rehearsals etc..

it's like some of the drum n bass people , have the loops mapped to keys and play that way.. so they are triggering the sound, not just playing the separate notes, or they hire in a drummer etc

orbital etc, mix live.. e.g. they used to have 2 mixing desks, have things on loops and fade in / unmute things etc.

some bands who play on tv.. the backing is recorded but the singing is live.. you notice the ear pieces? that's a click track

before they used to have a show on tv here, people would mime, but what they did was get a person to sing the vocal in a studio earlier.. so it was technically "live"

Glennb
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 313
    RE: Daft Punk play "live"?? 2008/09/11 05:36:21 (permalink)
    I've thought about this myself. You see "bands" like Chemical Brothers live and the crowd is going off, and there's nothing wrong with that obviously. People love them but surely it's like listening to a massive sound system version of your favourite song with the guys who made it originally waving their hands in the air? Personally it looks funny or wrong to me.

Glenn in Aus
    SHSXL6 on laptop with Intel i5 CPU M480 @ 2.67 GHZ 2.67GHz 4G RAM (2.86 usable?) 32Bit operating system on Windows 7 -> Presonus USB Audiobox.
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Daft Punk play "live"?? 2008/09/12 09:08:12 (permalink)
    well in the "classic" sense it would Glenn, but you notice how rock bands etc also have a laptop or computer around to do effects processing , or maybe off stage..

my friend uses live instruments, but now really got into the computer side of things, and how you can twist things up.

Glenn if you listen to a friends track on http://www.eskb.co.uk/
    the videos bit (looking down on heaven) you might notice some subtle effects added.. so depends how you apply what you use and yep he plays live still.
    post edited by Fog - 2008/09/12 09:10:42
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    RE: Daft Punk play "live"?? 2008/09/12 15:54:09 (permalink)
    It does seem to depend on the band. I've never seen Daft Punk live, so I couldn't say.
    I've seen Ladytron play at least 80% live, Depeche Mode about 90% live, but Pet Shop Boys are usually about 90% pre-programmed (other than the rare guitar song).
    All 3 of those are heavily programmed for studio recording.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1