buying dimpro and? (help please)

Author
Vhue
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 49
2008/09/11 07:21:39 (permalink)

buying dimpro and? (help please)

Hello - hope I haven't posted this in totally the wrong place.

I'm a guitar player and a song writer. That's what I have at the mo: acoustic guitars and a bunch of songs. And ideas of other instruments, which I neither own nor play, to go into said songs. So I figured I'll buy Dimensions Pro - it seems really good and has the sorts of sounds/instruments I need. Now I've thought I want to expand anyway and get myself a nice electric guitar, and therefore figure I could kill two birds so to speak, and get that "roland ready" strat. But would that work as a control for Cakewalk, or am I totally confused? (- answer: yes.)

What do I need? I figure since I actually play guitar, a guitar midi controller is the way to go. Do I need any other programs (to mix the dimPro sounds with my "real" ones)/gadgets? (Is there any way of using a telecaster as a controller?.. (they're so much prettier;)). Or do you have to go the keyboard-way to control Cakewalk-products?

So many questions - so little knowledge. On my part. Want to share yours? Very grateful if you do.

13 Replies Related Threads

Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: buying dimpro and? (help please) 2008/09/11 08:10:54 (permalink)
    The new version of Sonar (8) is going to come with Dimension Pro. Not sure which edition, though. I bought it for $99. If I had it to do again, I'd put the $99 towards Kontakt 3. To me, DimPro hasn't figured out what it wants to be. It's a little bit synth, a little bit orchestral, a little bit rhythm section (a little bit country....., etc.). Kontakt 3 is the same, but with a much larger library. There hasn't been a huge amount of 3rd party sound library support, either.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    muso_price
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 496
    RE: buying dimpro and? (help please) 2008/09/11 08:18:15 (permalink)
    You got four options as far as I'm aware.

1) Roland Ready Strat
    2) Godin SA
    3) The Roland GK pickup attached to a regular guitar (preferably with a Gibson style bridge)
    4) Terratec AXON AIX-101 (I don't know how this fits to the guitar)

If you use a regular guitar, without the Gibson style bridge, you will probably have to screw the GK to the guitar body which will instantly devalue any guitar you do this to, so I guess the Telecaster would be out. If you do this you could try using a cheap guitar that you wouldn't be worried about, perhaps Vintage Telecaster around £150 ($300).

You'll also need a MIDI conversion box e.g. Roland GR20. Do a search on Terratec Axon.

Personally I went with one of these, the Roland Ready Strat was about £800 ($1600) when I was looking , and fitted the GK pickup to the bridge, easily done.

Once you've decided which option you want you can play just about any hardware synth, VSTi.

HTH

Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: buying dimpro and? (help please) 2008/09/11 08:25:14 (permalink)
    Sorry, I didn't read your thread thoroughly. You were more interested in a MIDI controller guitar, which I know nothing about. Thanks muso_price for the input. With no shortage of Sonar users playing guitar as their primary instrument, I'm sure you'll have no shortage of responses in a short time.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    dantarbill
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1820
    RE: buying dimpro and? (help please) 2008/09/11 12:24:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Vhue

Hello - hope I haven't posted this in totally the wrong place.

I'm a guitar player and a song writer. That's what I have at the mo: acoustic guitars and a bunch of songs. And ideas of other instruments, which I neither own nor play, to go into said songs. So I figured I'll buy Dimensions Pro - it seems really good and has the sorts of sounds/instruments I need. Now I've thought I want to expand anyway and get myself a nice electric guitar, and therefore figure I could kill two birds so to speak, and get that "roland ready" strat. But would that work as a control for Cakewalk, or am I totally confused? (- answer: yes.)

What do I need? I figure since I actually play guitar, a guitar midi controller is the way to go. Do I need any other programs (to mix the dimPro sounds with my "real" ones)/gadgets? (Is there any way of using a telecaster as a controller?.. (they're so much prettier;)). Or do you have to go the keyboard-way to control Cakewalk-products?

So many questions - so little knowledge. On my part. Want to share yours? Very grateful if you do.

This is merely my experience...

I bought a MIDI guitar some years ago (a Yamaha G10 system), for pretty much the same reasons you mention (i.e. I'm a guitar player...why not use something I know how to play to enter MIDI data?) I don't know about the current state of pitch to MIDI now, but I found back then that the glitching and double triggering made most performances sound from unnatural to just plain bad. Playing live was ok (for some reason), but once all that MIDI data was captured and replayed, it was another story.

If you want to have keyboard sounds when you're playing "live"...and...you don't mind hauling all the extra gear to make that happen...then MIDI guitar is pretty cool. If you're looking to make your MIDI guitar a replacement for keyboard in the studio...I'd just get better at playing an actual keyboard.

Dan Tarbill
    Vhue
    RE: buying dimpro and? (help please) 2008/09/17 04:33:38 (permalink)
    Hey again, and thanks for all the responses. Would anyone else be able to say whether danterbill's experience with midi guitar is still the case today? Because I was intending to record..
    dantarbill
    RE: buying dimpro and? (help please) 2008/09/17 11:21:49 (permalink)

Hey again, and thanks for all the responses. Would anyone else be able to say whether Dan Tarbill's experience with midi guitar is still the case today? Because I was intending to record..

I'm curious about the answer to this too...but...both your subject line and the forum you're in kinda conspire against getting the attention and answers you want. There's already a thread that you may want to look at and chime in on in the Gear Forum...

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1482604

(Edit to at least get my name right.)
    post edited by dantarbill - 2008/09/17 11:22:49

Dan Tarbill
    Vhue
    RE: buying dimpro and? (help please) 2008/09/18 10:31:36 (permalink)
    Whoops - sorry about that.. Just read your username ;)

I'll check that thread out - thanks :)
    JLH2
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: buying dimpro and? (help please) 2008/09/18 17:02:30 (permalink)
    VHUE,
    I picked up the Roland Strat a little over a month ago. Whether or not it's acceptable as a controller would depend on how you intend to use it. I picked up the Strat mostly for recording. To keep costs down, I picked up a GI-20 interface (doesn't have the pre-programmed synth voices) and a cheap audio pre-amp.

The axe came with the midi pickup mounted too low, so I raised it up to the recommended height. That made it sensitive enough to toss everything in the world into a midi track - it would take it's best guess at interpreting string squeak, knuckle raps on the wood, pick noises, whatever, and lay all sorts of garbage into the midi track for me to hunt down and clean up later. So, I lowered the pickup just a tad, and now it seems to reliably record what I want it to. Have to pluck/pick a bit harder, though.

So, I use the midi pickup to lay down basic chord progressions, attach a soft synth to convert it to strings, polysynth, keys, whatever I need. I use the bottom strings to lay down a midi track that I attach a bass synth to, then use the 3 Strat pickups to lay down audio tracks.

If I needed to take it live, I wouldn't bother with the midi - it can be as touchy as a 90-year-old woman with a new hairdo. I might be able to finesse the adjustments to fix that, I don't know (yet).

Outside of that, it is a MIM Strat (Made in Mexico), so there's darn little you can do for the future - without serious woodworking skills you won't be able to change out the neck or the tremelo bar. You've got to pay attention to where you keep your hand - the hardware can shred the heel of your hand or the bottom of your wrist if you lean it wrong while muting. Outside of that, it plays like a Strat.

Jim 

P5N-D,E8400 3GHz,2x500GB SATA II,4GB Ram,GForce 9500GT,Audiophile 2496,Roland Strat,GI-20, SHS6,S7SE,S8PE,X1,Mustang Bass,SG 12 String 
    Vhue
    RE: buying dimpro and? (help please) 2008/09/24 07:58:38 (permalink)
    Now I'm very confused. I'm trying to figure out what all of these things are, but at the mo I have absolutely no knowledge in this area. I play guitar. A nice acoustic steal-string.. I don't even own an electric.. (but want to) I have a little mic that goes straight into my pc (and freeware recording program), which works well enough, but obviously not well enough for where I want to go with it.. So bear with me.. (- read, ”be gracious, and please help the fools of this world”..) =) Am I correct in this explanation to myself, or where have I got it wrong?

To be able to create instrument sounds in (for example) DimPro, and mix them with actual real audio sounds to create songs (niice moron) you need (for example) the following :

*A Roland-ready Strat. (Because it has a midi pickup built in which sends signals to):
    *A ( JLH2 suggests) GI-20 interface. (Which does what exactly?.. Does something which is needed to the midi-signals before they get over to the computer to actually trigger chosen sounds in chosen sound-library thingy?):
    *A chosen sound-library thingy. (In this case DimPro, because it seems pleasant enough)
    *A sequencer/DAW-thingy.. Like Sonar8, coming out soon, can't find a price for it but the producers version is meant to have DimPro.. (For recording audio into, and mixing with ”fake”-sounds)
    * A good mic (which most probably needs):
    * Phantom power (can I get that from a:
    * Pre-amp (and if so, can that same pre-amp be used to connect the guitar to an actual):
    *Amp (so that I can hear what I'm playing, if that is in fact what the pre-amp is needed for, and not for further connecting with the midi-stuff)
    (* A computor which won't die when I start up the programs.. I have a laptop with an 80 GB harddrive.. and an external storage thingy, if that makes any difference.. People tend to mention sound cards too.. Don't know about those (I mean, my laptop does make sound, it's not stone age)- anything you need a specifically really good one of? - have read there are external ones there too..)

Is that it? Do I need anything else, or is there anything in that list that I don't need? Have I completely misunderstood the function of any of those things? Are there any good all-in-one gadgets out there I could get to minimize the risk of getting something I can't use/the wrong things? I do want to get good things - I'm working an absolutely aweful job right now with the purpose of being able to afford these things..

Have also recently realised I own a largish (old-ass) keyboard (casio CPS-7) which has midi in/out. Never noticed that before... If I got a ”midi to usb”-cable, would that at all work as a controller for DimPro? (I don't mean instead of the guitar - still think I want that, but it could maybe be good to have both options for different use.. or something..)

Many many thanks for answers. And for maybe not rolling your eyes at me too much right about now..

(This is really in the wrong thread now I suppose.. Can it be moved/Can I move it?)
    Vhue
    RE: buying dimpro and? (help please) 2008/09/24 09:25:46 (permalink)
    Right, having now read this thread http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1488390&mpage=1&key=� I'm realising the answer to my question about laptops.. That Rain LiveBook looks sweet.. and is about a whole months salary for me.. funfun.. :(
    dantarbill
    RE: buying dimpro and? (help please) 2008/09/24 11:25:35 (permalink)

Now I'm very confused. I'm trying to figure out what all of these things are, but at the mo I have absolutely no knowledge in this area. I play guitar. A nice acoustic steal-string...

...Many many thanks for answers.

I'm a HUGE proponent of making whatever it is you have RIGHT NOW work...but...IF you really think you need to spend some money...off the top of my head...I'd suggest picking up SONAR 8. This will give you the full version of Dimension Pro (and a boatload of other stuff that will make your head hurt for a while). You can then use the MIDI to USB interface with your old Casio keyboard as a controller to play in parts to be played back with Dimension.

Since CJ doesn't frequent this forum, you won't have to wade through his insistence that you get "a good sound card". That will come soon enough if you find that you are making headway with SONAR.

My personal opinion remains that trying to record MIDI with some sort of MIDI-guitar is sub-optimal. You will have spent a LOT of money and subsequently not have much to show for it. (Performing with MIDI-guitar is a different story...but not what you asked about.)

...and by the way...unless you have indeed stolen the strings on your guitar...I'd say it was a "steel" string.

Dan Tarbill
    Vhue
    RE: buying dimpro and? (help please) 2008/09/24 15:34:01 (permalink)
    Oy English isn't my native tongue ok? hehe.. Aah, it's tricky not to make mistakes like that. Keep mixing up things like "too" and "to" eventhough I know the difference. Well, you caught me. ;O)

I suppose you're right. It's just wishful thinking isn't it, the midi-guitar. I figured though that if I'm getting an electric guitar anyway, and it's still good for being just that, then if the midi-function turned out to be a dud for recording (but still good for performing, which I didn't ask about, you're right again), well.. I'll just keep being indecisive. =)
    JLH2
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: buying dimpro and? (help please) 2008/09/24 16:11:40 (permalink)
    Vhue,

The Roland-ready Stratocaster has 3 standard Fender pickups (analog) and one Roland MIDI pickup. The midi pickup senses string vibration and sends it to the GI-20 interface module. The GI-20 analyzes the frequency of the vibration and determines which note is being played, and analyzes the strength of the signal to determine if that note is "on" or "off". It then sends this information as a midi signal to a midi input on your soundcard, then an application like Sonar can place it into a midi track for you. The pre-amp that I use boosts the signal from the Fender pickups and then passes it on to the analog input on the soundcard. Without the pre-amp, the signal strength is really weak, giving you a very quiet recording that you will have trouble bringing up to the volume levels that your other tracks are recorded at. The pre-amp that I have will also boost the strength of a microphone signal if I were using one (so far, I don't bother - my vocal recordings sound similar to a bull frog who's mate has found a better lily pad).

So far, Dan's post is the most important for you to keep in mind. Buying piles of equipment and accessories right off the bat will guarantee that you'll be spending most of your time wallowing in frustration untill you get it all figured out. You should take time to learn the application that you have and how to interface it with the equipment that you've got. Look at the options that are available to you - If you're famaliar with your accoustic guitar, maybe just using a mic to record is a first good step. A midi guitar can allow you to set down midi tracks faster than hunting and clicking with a mouse - but - a mouse will cost you 25-40 bucks, and a Roland Strat will run you 630 bucks and you'll end up attaching it to a 450 buck interface module. As you progress and you find that you really need to add another function, research what that added function requires first, then plan your budget.

Be patient. This is a long path that you're starting on and it is going to take time, research, education and, from time to time, cash flow. Don't let the kids starve while you're trying to figure out a better way to whistle...

Jim 

P5N-D,E8400 3GHz,2x500GB SATA II,4GB Ram,GForce 9500GT,Audiophile 2496,Roland Strat,GI-20, SHS6,S7SE,S8PE,X1,Mustang Bass,SG 12 String 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1