Win XP SP3 Opinions from Experts

Author
bullo
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 57
2008/09/12 10:33:38 (permalink)

Win XP SP3 Opinions from Experts

Hello. I tried to read all posts about SP3 performance. there seem to be a lot of contradictory opinions. M$ says it gains 10% performance. But Based on what? What app?Would that increase audio apps?
On the other hand, some people say it DECREASES performance, since it install a looooot of security patches that won't affect a DAW computer (sometimes with no Internet access).

I know this has been discussed before, but maybe some experts here can post a their experiences with measurable results. I know it is possible to uninstall SP3,right? But u know.....one wans to be sure before SPs, just in case.....

Bottom line:

What is better for a DAW?

SP2, including all vital patches(firewire, multicore, momory leak, etc etc)

or

SP3 (that is supposed to include all previous patches

Thank you all, and have a nice weekend.

Danny Bullo

2 Replies Related Threads

tcbetka
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Win XP SP3 Opinions from Experts 2008/09/12 10:42:54 (permalink)
    I had this same concern, but the OEM version of XP I got was SP3 so I went ahead and installed it when we built my new DAW. But so far it works fine with v7PE, although I haven't really pushed the software yet. But I did see a thread a couple weeks ago about this in the "SONAR Producer and Studio" forum, and the majority of folks said they were running XP with SP3 without any problems whatsoever. So you might sniff around in there for more information. I plan to just run SP3 myself, as I didn't see an obvious way to roll back to SP2. One might exist, but I didn't see it when I searched. I suppose a person could Google it and come up with something.

TB

Gretsch drums
    Mackie 1640 Onyx, Firewire I/O
    Audix mics
    Sonar 8.5 PE / Pro Tools LE 7.4
    M-audio MobilePre USB / M-box 2
    Windows XP / Q9450 2.66 GHz Quad / Abit mobo / 4GB RAM
    Seagate 1000, 500, 250, 80 & 80 GB hard drives
    Glyph 120GB firewire drive
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: Win XP SP3 Opinions from Experts 2008/09/12 12:13:25 (permalink)
    As far as I can tell, upgrading from SP2 to SP3 didn't improve anything but it didn't seem to hurt anything either on my machine. Your mileage may vary of course. If you're using your DAW for internet surfing or other things it might make sense to have the latest security patches and whatnot. I would make a partition backup before installing anything like this though.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1