DAW power supply issues?

Author
robby
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5819
2008/09/13 10:44:38 (permalink)

DAW power supply issues?

I used to leave it powered on all the time and had no problems with it. Lately I've been powering it DAWn when I'm not using it? And when I power it up (cold) it likes to reboot on me for no apparent reason? There are no viruses, it's been scanned repeatedly, defragged, etc. But when powered up cold, it seems unstable.

Does this sound like a power supply issue? Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Thanks.

==================
It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

13 Replies Related Threads

Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: DAW power supply issues? 2008/09/13 11:06:28 (permalink)
    ??? It reboots more than once? A cold computer always reboots at startup. ???

Craig DuBuc
    daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: DAW power supply issues? 2008/09/13 11:39:56 (permalink)
    Did you add any drives or anything that would have increased the draw on the power supply?

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    Litewave
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 138
    RE: DAW power supply issues? 2008/09/13 11:41:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: robby

I used to leave it powered on all the time and had no problems with it. Lately I've been powering it DAWn when I'm not using it? And when I power it up (cold) it likes to reboot on me for no apparent reason? There are no viruses, it's been scanned repeatedly, defragged, etc. But when powered up cold, it seems unstable.

Does this sound like a power supply issue? Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Thanks.

Do you hear a "snap" type sound , then it reboots ?

Sincerely,
    Litewave

AMD 9950 Quad, Asus M3a78-T, 8gb G-Skill, 630 watt pwr, Vista Ult 64, 2 WD RE 500gb internal, 2WD 500GB MyBook EXT, Axiom 49, Cubase5.5, Sonar X1 PE, Profire 2626, Komplete 5, BFD2, Groove Agent 3.x Omnisphere
    24 " LCD and 22 " LC
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: DAW power supply issues? 2008/09/13 11:46:55 (permalink)
    I wonder if you are seeing a real reboot or just the OS going through its normal startup procedure? If you see the BIOS screen twice then its rebooting if not it isn't.

Best
    John
    robby
    RE: DAW power supply issues? 2008/09/13 13:13:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Litewave

Thanks.

Actually I believe so, yes. And yes it will reboot several times when it's coming up cold. I thought it was viral, but I've checked it and it's clean. Then once I get it up and it stays up, it's fine?

==================

robby
    RE: DAW power supply issues? 2008/09/13 13:14:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: John

I wonder if you are seeing a real reboot or just the OS going through its normal startup procedure? If you see the BIOS screen twice then its rebooting if not it isn't.

I do see it each time, it's as if I told it to reboot. And it will do it several times, 2 or 3. But again, once it's up and steady, it stays up. Weird, I never noticed it because I used to just keep it powered on. The only logical explaination I could come up with is the PS.

==================

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: DAW power supply issues? 2008/09/13 13:41:25 (permalink)
    Well seems the only way to be sure is try another PS. One that has a bit more power perhaps.

Best
    John
    CoteRotie
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    RE: DAW power supply issues? 2008/09/13 13:49:41 (permalink)
    It could be a power supply issue. The disk drives take more current during startup to spin the platters to speed, so if that's causing your supply to sag more due to output caps failing for example then the machine would reboot until it sucessfully started. Once it has started the drives are taking less current and it could stay running. Platters that start from a cold stop will take more current than ones that were recently spinning, so it might well be the supply.

Or it could be something completely different.

Most computer supplies are made for next to nothing from the cheapest possible components so try to buy the best quality supply you can if you decide to replace it.

Good Luck,

John

Wait, wait, what key is it in? 

GA-X58A-UD3 motherboard
    Intel i7 950 CPU w/12 G RAM
    ATI Radeon 4350 graphics
    3 cats 1 crazydog
    Lynx AES16/Aurora 8
    SCA N72 J99 & A12 pres. Adam A7 Monitors
    Win 10  
    SONAR Platinum 64 bit 
    tecton
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 575
    RE: DAW power supply issues? 2008/09/13 13:56:29 (permalink)
    It is most likely not your PSU but instead a driver issue coursing your automatic restart.

Go to System Properties and click on the advanced tab and then under System failure uncheck "Automatically restart" and then next time when your system fails you will get a blue screen telling you a bit of information about what coursed the problem.
    post edited by tecton - 2008/09/13 13:59:16

Don't Fight The Physics.

Litewave
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 138
    RE: DAW power supply issues? 2008/09/13 15:01:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Litewave

Thanks.

Actually I believe so, yes. And yes it will reboot several times when it's coming up cold. I thought it was viral, but I've checked it and it's clean. Then once I get it up and it stays up, it's fine?

If your hearing a snap, just check the connection from the power supply to the mobo. If it looks burnt or the connector is black, there's your issue. If not, sounds like it could be a driver type issue. If your going to get inside, have a good look at all the connections, clean it out, etc...Remember one thing while troubleshooting. Keep it simple. Always look at the basics first.

Good Luck !

Good Luck !

Sincerely,
    Litewave

AMD 9950 Quad, Asus M3a78-T, 8gb G-Skill, 630 watt pwr, Vista Ult 64, 2 WD RE 500gb internal, 2WD 500GB MyBook EXT, Axiom 49, Cubase5.5, Sonar X1 PE, Profire 2626, Komplete 5, BFD2, Groove Agent 3.x Omnisphere
    24 " LCD and 22 " LC
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: DAW power supply issues? 2008/09/13 23:18:10 (permalink)
    Is this a new computer or the same one you left powered up all the time? If it's the same one and you powered down for a while, you could have some funk-dust bunny's- carbon-deadspots-shrinkage, on your connectors. If you're going to change the power supply make sure you change the wires and connectors also. If the PS is hardwired the choice is obvious. Considering how sensitive MOBOS are it's hard to say where something might have "shrunk" when it cooled down from a sustained heat level. Conductors will compact when they cool down altering the connections bonding surface. Tight fit<->loose fit?

Craig DuBuc
    Ron Vogel
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    RE: DAW power supply issues? 2008/09/14 00:18:28 (permalink)
    I think it's a windows issue.

During start-up it's booting twice on command. Under system proporties, there is a start-up and recovery button under the advanced tab. You might want to check there is only one boot on it.

Or go to run / msconfig
    checkout the boot.ini tab. should be only one os boot there.

I had a system that did something similar that had the command doubled.

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
    Ron Vogel Soundclick page
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: DAW power supply issues? 2008/09/14 09:09:55 (permalink)
    Robby - I have this happen a lot on one of my computers at work. the different thing about that particular computer is that it has PXI connected to it. basically that's a PCI extension rack. it has a PCI card in the comptuer which connects it to an external rack with PCI cards in it (sort of). Any kind of communication problem with that PXI bus for any reason will cause this reboot kind of problem.

I know you don't have PXI on your DAW, but I said all that to tell you that it could be a problem with one of your PCI cards not getting the bus communication properly during bootup. it could be as simple as one of your cards is not seated properly in the PCI slot, or it could be something more serious like one of the components on one of the cards is going out causing the computer to reboot looking for correct communication with that card on the bus.

OR - it could be the power supply.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1