Fattening up guitars

Author
rob.pulman
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
2008/09/14 05:55:05 (permalink)

Fattening up guitars

I'm trying to clone a guitar track, using panning and delay to thicken it up.

I also seem to remember reading about bouncing an audio track to split mono, and then doing something from there.

To be honest I'm still not 100% sure about the mono/stereo thing. I know that the guitar is recorded in mono, but is it bounced or exported as stereo somehow? Can anyone just clear the mono/stereo thing up a little?

Many thanks

Stoojo Music

Dell 2400, XP 1 Gig RAM, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, M-Audio 2496, PSR310, LP Custom, Fender Strat, Yam Acoustic, Peavey amps, Zodiac BXP bass

15 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Fattening up guitars 2008/09/14 08:59:20 (permalink)
    no, you can't split to mono if you've recorded it in mono. those who might have been talking about splitting to mono had an FX box they were playing thru before the signal went into the soundcard which has stereo output.

as far as cloning a mono track and panning it left and right, you'll also need to time shift one of them by at least a few millisecs or the stereo field will collapse and all you'll get is higher volume. personally, I don't like this method, but many use it. you probably should add different FX to the 2 tracks, or at least if you use the same FX, use different amounts of wetness for each.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    rob.pulman
    RE: Fattening up guitars 2008/09/14 09:53:53 (permalink)
    Thanks Beag that makes sense. Been unsure of this since I started recording, even though I've read quite a lot about it.

Stoojo Music

Dell 2400, XP 1 Gig RAM, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, M-Audio 2496, PSR310, LP Custom, Fender Strat, Yam Acoustic, Peavey amps, Zodiac BXP bass
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Fattening up guitars 2008/09/14 16:15:10 (permalink)
    I use bacon, beans and pizza.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Fattening up guitars 2008/09/14 17:44:29 (permalink)

Hi Rob

For the bluesy overdriven rythym guitar sound you've used on your songs on Soundclick I'd really recommend doubling your guitar, i.e. recording the same part twice, not cloning one take.

There are two main advantages to doing this - first off, you can record the two parts with different amp and EQ settings, or even with different guitars if you like. This will give you distinct differences between the two which, when panned apart, will certainly thicken up the sound.

Secondly, and just as importantly, you will probably find it almost physically impossible to play the same part exactly the same twice - the slight nuances in timing and attack will help to separate the two takes and give a greater 'meatiness' to the overall sound.

With cleaner guitars, or where you just want it to sound like one guitar only is playing, I agree with what Beagle is saying - you have to create some differences between the two clones.

A great way to do this is to EQ your separate cloned tracks differently - try it with a simple graphic on each track, cutting and boosting identical corresponding frequencies on each track.

A great free EQ which will do a similar job if you record your guitar in stereo, or bounce your two mono clones to a stereo track, is Voxengo's OVERTONE GEQ VST plug-in.

Just a few ideas Rob, hope they help you

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Fattening up guitars 2008/09/14 21:30:57 (permalink)
    +1 to this method -

notice I said above that cloning and shifting is not the method I think is best - Steve's method he describes here is the better method, IMO.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: Fattening up guitars 2008/09/14 23:32:20 (permalink)
    There is also "chorus", a light setting. Kjaurehause(sp) classic series are free. When cloning a track, panning one left, the other right, and not necessarilly 100%, maybe 60% to 75% left/right, or any combination, 60 one side, 75 the other, then chorus one side, or reverb one side or combination. But the best suggestion was to re-record as close as possible, pan to each side, different effects, many ways to do this.
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    rob.pulman
    RE: Fattening up guitars 2008/09/15 03:53:34 (permalink)
    Thanks all for the info.

I've firstly tried the cloning method, but it seems the maximum delay I'm able to use is about 4 ms before I can actually hear the delay between the two tracks. I was expecting to be able to use about 10ms.

Is there any sort of best delay time to use?

Stoojo Music

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Fattening up guitars 2008/09/15 08:20:21 (permalink)
    Rob.... My prefered method of recording guitar is to get the sound I want before I record. I choose not to add the FX in the track as a plug in, but instead to get the sound I want out of the amp or POD2 before I start recording.

To "fatten" the sound, I generally use gain. Turn down the master some and crank up the pre-gain to get the distortion happening in the amp. Distortion in a tube circuit (and some simulated tube circuits) add Even Order Harmonics to the original tone and by their very nature, EOH make the sound fat.... That's why tube preamps are used to "warm up" vocals....it's the same principal. With my POD it's easy to do as I only need to select the amp model I want to get the sound I'm looking for....my Boogie also makes it easy to get the desired sound.

As Gambler said, a bit of chorusing or flanging or a slap back echo from a pedal might also help. If that's the sound you're going for....delays will sound different than EOH, and there's a difference in the resulting sound.

Clean guitar is a bit more challenging to fatten, but it can be done by the same method.... crank the pre gain....just not as much, keeping the guitar clean sounding...Those EOH are present, even in a clean tube circuit.... use a smaller amp so you can turn it up while still playing clean, because the EOH tend to become more prominant at the higher volumes where the output tubes start to clip a bit....it's that clipping that makes the EOH pop out.... keep the preamp tubes from clipping and the sound will be clean, but still have a fattness to it.

final note: I use FX for the unique sound they give....like a slap back echo...or reverb....I never try to use any FX to "fatten" the guitar's sound....That is done (by me) with the volume & tone settings on the guitar and the gain & eq settings of the amp.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2008/09/15 08:24:22

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    gamblerschoice
    RE: Fattening up guitars 2008/09/15 08:57:46 (permalink)
    My thoughts are that "fattening" a guitar or vocal has more to do with the percieved "presence" of the part rather than volume alone.
    You mention trying to add as much as 10ms to the delay, I think this would lead to the phase problems Beagle has mentioned before. In fact, I have noticed that a delay of 2ms max is all I can justify, anything more creates problems like phase cancellation. If you took the guitar part, cloned it, and set one guitar at 100% right, the other at 100% left, and "nudged" one track 2ms, then solo those two tracks, you should be able to hear the difference, the "fattening" of the sound. It does not automatically increase the volume, though. If you are taking a stereo track, cloning it, and panning each clone hard left/right, you may actually notice a decrease in volume, but an increase in presence. So, you would need to increase the volume manually, but not much. Also, once you listen to the hard panning for demonstration purposes, pan those tracks a little closer to the center, the hard pan might not fatten as much as a closer pan, I just mentioned it as an audible demonstration.
    Later
    Albert

lonesome road back home.
    rob.pulman
    RE: Fattening up guitars 2008/09/15 09:25:42 (permalink)
    Plenty to think about here, more than one way of skinning a cat for sure.

Herb I always record my guitars dry now, after finding out the hard way earlier on. I'm finding I get a good sound from the JCM900 amp sim. I used to have a Marshall JCM900 years ago and I've always tried to get that sound again, the nearest I get is this plug in.

Thanks again

Stoojo Music

Guitarhacker
    RE: Fattening up guitars 2008/09/15 12:34:29 (permalink)
    Just a follow up note... regarding "gain" ....this is not refering to making it louder necessarily.... the gain is in the amp stages (preamps & outputs) and the final output level is determined by the master volume control. The gain in the preamps in the amp, will fatten the sound as the gain is increased. The master volume on the amp/POD is used to control the output stages final volume levels.

In recording a guitar: I've said this before....guitar is the one instrument I do not record dry. I set the amp or POD2 to get the sound I am wanting...by listening to the reference monitors or the amp in the room. Reverb is a part of that sound. I record a snippet on the track to see if the sound works...is it fat, thin, verby, dry, quiet, loud, ...all the details... if it's OK..I record it. from that point forward I do not add reverb to that track....its a done deal.

BMI/NSAI

gamblerschoice
    RE: Fattening up guitars 2008/09/15 13:13:14 (permalink)
    Sorry Herb. I always related the word gain to volume. In some situations it probably is a correct assumption, but obviously not in this one.
    As to your recording preferences, I just can't do it. I mean, I'll play through an amp sim with effects as I am recording, but I usually don't record those effects. I record the dry signal. And then go back a fix and change and adjust, and maybe even end up going back to the original settings I monitored with, but I just don't have the confidence to get a sound and stick with it. Which is not to say your way is wrong, I just can't force myself to do it. But then, I believe you are an old school, true electric guitar player, where I was more an acoustic player, very seldom did I play the electric live. The bass was the first live electric instument, followed by electric for a few years, and then back to acoustic. Probably explains our difference in approach.
    Later
    Albert

lonesome road back home.
    Guitarhacker
    RE: Fattening up guitars 2008/09/15 14:02:06 (permalink)
    yeah Albert.... different strokes.... neither way is "right or wrong" and they both work....

I studied electronics and even tinkered with building an amp...with questionable results... but the gain I was refering to is inside the preamp stages, and did not necessarily mean louder.....by cranking the gain levels in the tube preamps.... you cause them to start clipping or breaking up, and that causes the even order harmonics to be produced resulting in what we perceive to be a fatter and fuller sound. This can be achieved in either the preamps or in the outputs (tubes) as any tube can be driven beyond the clipping point.

The resultant sound will depend on which stage(s) of the amp is being overdriven.

BMI/NSAI

Thatsastrat
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1267
    RE: Fattening up guitars 2008/09/15 19:54:12 (permalink)
    +1 on the use of pork products. Always seems to fatten things up.
    I too use the guitar hacker method. I have to like the tone I hear before I can record.
    Because the tone is where I get to draw from my own emotion. I f the tone is not close, no emotion.
    This might not work for you, but that’s the way I like to roll.
    A good guitar tone can be inspiring.
    post edited by Thatsastrat - 2008/09/15 19:57:54

Sonar Platimum, Win10 32bit, Quad Q6600,4G DDR2 Ram, BCF2000, Lexicon Lambda interface,Tascam US 1800, WD 500 GB HD, M-Audio AV40 Monitors, Line 6 DI Gold, Guitar Rig 5 Pro, hand full of guitars, Kawia PH50 Keyboard,Digitech GNX3
    http://www.soundclick.com/thatsastrat/%3C/a%3E
    http://www.myspace.com/thatsastrat/music
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Fattening up guitars 2008/09/16 04:46:37 (permalink)

I'm hearing what you're saying here guys - I just cannot record anything completely 'dry', it doesn't work for me at all!

However, since I added the excellent Line 6 Gearbox Plug-In [as part of the Gold Bundle] to my TonePort/Gearbox set-up I've been recording my guitars and bass with the amp/cab models, noise gate and compression but without any 'effects' such as EQ, reverb, delay, modulation etc.

The quality of the plug is so good I'm happy to add these effects in the mix - obviously the biggest benefit is that I can tweak them as much as I like.

If it's something like delay on a lead guitar and I want to hear it while I'm playing, I run the monitor feed from my TonePort through my old pedalboard into my practice amp. I know I could record the signal with the delay but I find the versatility of using the plug the better option for me.

Another real bonus from sending the monitor feed to an amp is that, when required, I can crank up the gain on the amp to generate some 'authentic' sounding feedback which can add some extra realism into what is basically my software generated tone.

I thougt I'd mention this because as Herb says, it's different strokes... by trial and error, I've come across a method of recording that suits me perfectly - I feel I'm now getting just the sound I want in the best [and most flexible] way for me.

Great thread, and thanks guys for some great info that I'm absorbing about other methods of fattening up the guitars - cool!

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1