Opinions Needed

Author
Nutty
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2056
2008/09/14 22:15:45 (permalink)

Opinions Needed

I am recording an old song I did with my former DAW before I knew anything about recording. I posted this when I first joined this forum and the consenus was issues with the vocals. The biggest comment was that there were a lot of words to squeeze in. Since I love the lyrics I decided to change the song format a little. I reduced the tempo and added an extra measure between the verses and between the verses and chorus. I had one inbetween the chourus parts as well, but I didn't like it there as it broke up the flow (before "hold your hand out"). I'm wondering if I have taken it to far. Is it better with just redoing the first version or keep the slower, more spaced out version? And I hope I don't get 50/50 as I'm not that good at making decisions these days.

I've posted the songs on my sound click page Let Me Out (old) and Let Me Out (new).

Now for fun, I did a couple of tracks with the electric guitar. I just played the chords and mindlessly picked here and there. When other people do that, it sounds great. When I do it, it seems to stick out like a sore thumb. I couldn't come up with any unique pattern yet. With the added measures, it really needs the guitar fill-ins. If anyone has any great ideas there, I'm all ears.

Thanks for reading and listening.

Annette / Nutty

Nutty /Annette
http://www.soundclick.com/atmmusic
Using: Sonar 8 Studio; Band in a Box; PreSonus Firebox; M-Audio Axiom 25; Mics: Audio Technica ATM610, MXL 990/991; M-Audio Studiophile AV 30 Reference Speakers and many guitars

12 Replies Related Threads

Nutty
    RE: Opinions Needed 2008/09/14 22:33:35 (permalink)
    Whoops...that didn't work..the new file...I'll have to redo it and post ASAP.

Sorry..

Nutty Annette

Nutty /Annette
    Using: Sonar 8 Studio; Band in a Box; PreSonus Firebox; M-Audio Axiom 25; Mics: Audio Technica ATM610, MXL 990/991; M-Audio Studiophile AV 30 Reference Speakers and many guitars
    Nutty
    RE: Opinions Needed 2008/09/15 09:53:46 (permalink)
    Sorry about that. The link to the file is fixed. Our network went down last night at bedtime and I had to go becaue the teenager puts me bed. I tried at 2:30 am and it was still down. HUbby just rebooted the router, so I'm in business again.

Thanks.

Nutty Annette

Nutty /Annette
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Opinions Needed 2008/09/15 12:21:19 (permalink)
    The new recording was much cleaner and crisp sounding....

How did you get that spray can sound? just kidding....

This is a better version of the song.... the guitar playing is good. I listened briefly to the old version.....

Here's my critque...more on technique... I think in the recording process. I'll tell you how I do it and let you decide.

I like instant gratification, I want a finished song NOW>>>! But, I understand it is a process. And as such I start with drums & a scratch track....both unfinished BUT they provide the structure I will work with, guiding me through verses & choruses and solo's and bridges, from the start to the end....

NOW... I start to lay down tracks...this is VERY important.... I lay down one track, and listen to it, and write down the location of ANY mistakes, wrong notes, timing issues, flat/sharp notes...anything that is not perfect, and that I want to fix. Then I go back and start fixing, to get that track perfect....before I move on.

This is important , especially on vocal tracks and in the BGV tracks....all BGV should be 100% in synch and in tune (as far as possible) ...pay attention to the starting and ending of words (exactly how long you hold a note, and how you end it) in the BGV. minor timing issues will stand out in the final mix.

Same applies to guitars, keys, etc... get it right in the tracking stage before you move on....if you don't, you very quickly have all these tracks with minor glitches in them that suddenly "appears" to big to fix. All these minor things add up to make the song sound sloppy, so take the time to fix the tracks....

Since it's recorded already...it's still fixable.... start by muting everything...then un mute the drums....be sure they are 100% like you want them to be.....when satisfied, unmute the bass....go one track at a time.

When working on the Vox & BGV....mute everything except a rhythm guitar or keyboard ( for a reference point to pitch & timing) start with lead vox..... get it right....unmute one harmony....get it right and so on. mute & unmute as needed, bring the levels on the BGV up so you can hear clearly as you record & fix the glitches. Delete enveolpes if they interfere with you being able to hear the tracks...you can always go back later, when it's finished and the tracks are perfect, and re do the volume envelopes.

The song has a kind of layed back folk sound to it. So the guitars being a little "off" on their timing works in a folksy way...

The big thing I see is in the vocals mix..... Your voice sounds good....you need to showcase it more effectively.

I don't use doubling on my vocals....I have a lead (up where it can be heard) and then BGV are setting in the background, to one degree or another...usually noticably down in relation to the lead. Eq them appropriately....and let them roll.

On the doubling...have the main vox up front but have the cloned or doubled vox much lower and maybe panned slightly off center. It sounds like two people singing with both levels up high. Maybe someone else who successfully uses Vox doubling can chime in on this.

I hope you take this as advice to help you grow, and not critisism of your recording.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Nutty
    RE: Opinions Needed 2008/09/15 13:22:56 (permalink)
    Thanks Guitarhacker,

Yes that is very helpful. I appreciate you takig the time to listen to the tracks and providing a lot of feedback. Your method sounds like a great way to go. I chuckled at one point because I was up in the 20 track range and I hadn't labled the tracks so I was trying to figure out which was which, which is not always that easy. (I think that's the first time I ever wrote "which" three times in a sentence.) I should have mentioned that I didn' t add any FX to these tracks, adjust volume, etc. I panned them a bit and that's it. I didn't (or don't) plan on doubling the vocals. It just sounded fuller, so I kept both tracks. I'm hoping to get one vocal track that wil be at or close to that volume. I don't really know anything about envelopes, but it seems like the experienced mixers here use them. I will look up the tutorial again and see if it sinks in this time.

I used to want instant gratification and I still think about it at times, but I have learned to be patient. The old recording was like that. I wanted it NOWso I could post my first recorded hit. Not so much anymore. I'm looking for quality. That is why I'm redoing the mix. My sister loves this song and wants to share it with her friends. I won't let her until I get a quality version. So, I'm very eager to get it done (and for another 8 or 9 other songs I wrote or collabed).

Thanks again.

Nutty

Nutty /Annette
    Guitarhacker
    RE: Opinions Needed 2008/09/15 13:41:30 (permalink)
    In MC4, and probably sonar...if you right click on the track icon location a window opens and you can select a different icon for the instrument....bass guitars, guitars, vocals BGV....all can have a picture Icon that makes mixing and finding tracks so much easier. Dozens...if not hundreds of icons to choose from.

also...if you plan ahead...group the tracks together...all vox in tracks 1-4 all guitars in 5-8 etc... this makes life easier too.

BMI/NSAI

Nutty
    RE: Opinions Needed 2008/09/15 13:48:37 (permalink)
    Great idea. Thanks for the tip. I do try to do them instrument by instrument, but sometimes I have to redo a track that I didn't plan on, so they are all mixed up. I also started a log book. I have so many versions of all these songs. At the time I know what is what and what I did to each track (great grammar...what?). Then, I get pulled away from that file and have no idea which version I'm looking for. This should help because I do have periods of extreme brain fog and chronic fatigue.

Thanks again.

Nutty

Nutty /Annette
    Guitarhacker
    RE: Opinions Needed 2008/09/15 14:04:47 (permalink)
    I know the feeling.... having multiple versions of a song is not a good idea for me....I like to just have one version....it keeps life simple.

BMI/NSAI

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Opinions Needed 2008/09/15 14:46:25 (permalink)
    If you find yourself with tracks all over the place, like guitars on 2, 7, 8, 13 and vocals on 1, 4, 5 and 10 and you want them to be more organized, go to 'Tracks>Sort' at the top, and you can organize them by output, or alphabetically, or by other parameters.
    And you can use the 'Group' menu to link different tracks's controls together, so if you have several guitar tracks and the volumes are good relative to each other, you can make a group, "guitars" and assign a color identifier to all of them, and select some options, and when you move a specified control for 1, all of them will move, keeping their volumes equal with each other. I hope MC has those options.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: Opinions Needed 2008/09/15 14:55:34 (permalink)
    In the track view if you click and hold the track right beside the track number you can drag a track up or down to change the order.
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    Nutty
    RE: Opinions Needed 2008/09/15 15:43:26 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tips Greg and Albert. They really need to rewrite the manual to put some"good" information like this. It seems like there are so many features that are not covered in the manul, tutorials or help file. I guess the downside of that is we might not have the freindship of the people on this forum. So, I'll continue to ask questions.

Annette

Nutty /Annette
    amateur
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: Opinions Needed 2008/09/15 18:48:44 (permalink)
    Hi Nutty, I think this version is more crisp and upbeat than the old version, and I think that was where you were trying to go? Did you write this song?
    Nutty
    RE: Opinions Needed 2008/09/15 19:09:14 (permalink)
    Thanks amateur,

See, everything I'm learning here is slowly paying off. Yes, this is my first recorded hit! Well it's not a real hit, but it is to me. I wrote a couple of songs when I was a teenager, one about my Grandfather and then one for my Mom and Dad. They were never recorded or anything. I will do that now though as I get through my new ones first.

I was very happy with the first version because it was the first recording I ever did. It was done with Power Tracks though and not MC. But since I've learned so much, I realized that the recording could be much better. I didn't have the mixer (Firebox) then either. But the biggest comments I received were about the vocals and diction. So, I made these changes to try and improve that. I thought I would get feedback before I did the next 20 recordings of the vocal tracks!!!!

Thanks again,

Nutty

Nutty /Annette
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1