OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???)

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
ohhey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11676
RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/18 15:05:31 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: GMGM

Winner: Goth/EMO kids at the mall. Shouldn't they be in a cold dark & wet basement somewhere listening to the Cure? Eating at Cinnabon just doesn't say death & sadness to me.

.... it does to me, those things are deadly.
GMGM
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 494
RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/18 15:36:58 (permalink)
Yes, they are deadly indeed. I'm diabetic, and I have to look at sweets like that as "poison". Sweet, yummy, beautiful poison.
GMGM
RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/18 15:49:39 (permalink)
I mostly see a kid who is woefully ignorant of how he's being manipulated by pop culture marketers.

Great point. My mom taught me about bell-bottoms at a very early age, and explained how quickly trends rise & fall. So I've been a skeptical consumer ever since.
SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/18 16:36:42 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: GMGM

I mostly see a kid who is woefully ignorant of how he's being manipulated by pop culture marketers.

Great point. My mom taught me about bell-bottoms at a very early age, and explained how quickly trends rise & fall. So I've been a skeptical consumer ever since.

I'm still wearing my bell bottoms.

I work on the theory that fashions return on a regular basis, so depending on the particular decade I'm either innovative and way ahead of the industry, bang up to date and fashionable or [most of the time] I'm cool and 'retro'.

Joking apart, a young guy used to come in our local boozer dressed exactly as Bitflipper describes - he came in one night with his designer punk [now there's an oxymoron] gear or including a brand new Clash T-Shirt.

I engaged him in polite conversation... "What's your favourite Clash album then mate?"

End of conversation.

Edit - spelling mitsake
post edited by SteveStrummerUK - 2008/09/18 16:39:07

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

aaronk
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1275
RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/18 16:41:14 (permalink)
Joking apart, a young guy used to come in our local boozer dressed exactly as Bitflipper describes - he came in one night with his designer punk [now there's an oxymoron] gear or including a brand new Clash T-Shirt.

I engaged him in polite conversation... "What's your favourite Clash album then mate?"

I play a similar game with American Bible-thumpers. Most don't have a clue about any of the text inside the cover.
SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/18 16:43:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: aaronk

I play a similar game with American Bible-thumpers. Most don't have a clue about any of the text inside the cover.

LOL - Don't try that with a Jehovah's Witness though!

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

GMGM
RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/18 17:22:30 (permalink)
The JW's come through my neighborhood every couple days it seems. I remember one time when I was a little kid where a guy stuck his foot in the door after my mom said "no thanks". He got mad, and cursed her out, and then left. It was pretty scary from what I remember. I'm sure the JW's would frown on this behavior. But even today, they seem to ignore my sign that says "No Soliciting". They must think I'm talking about someone else.
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/18 17:29:52 (permalink)
I'm diabetic, and I have to look at sweets like that as "poison".

Same here. I haven't munched a lucious, gooey Cinnabon in years. Mmm. Ah, I gotta go get some cottage cheese.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/18 17:33:34 (permalink)
The JW's come through my neighborhood every couple days it seems. I remember one time when I was a little kid where a guy stuck his foot in the door after my mom said "no thanks". He got mad, and cursed her out, and then left.

The last time they came to my door it was the same week I quit smoking. Strangely, they never returned.

P.S. GMGM, I see you're in Omaha, my old hometown. Plattsmouth High School, class of '69.
post edited by bitflipper - 2008/09/18 17:37:11

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
aaronk
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1275
RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/18 19:06:21 (permalink)
LOL - Don't try that with a Jehovah's Witness though!

Why not? I have a friend who is a preacher's kid, knows the Bible like a theology grad student. He had great fun with the JW's and other evangelical sorts who came to his door. He saw it as an entertaining battle of wills -- would the JW's give up on him before he gave up on them!
Kicker
  • Total Posts : 477
RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/18 20:49:44 (permalink)
I love Kiss' (Gene & Paul) attitude. They never took themselves too seriously - and lets face it, musically their stuff is almost entirely 1-4-5 crap. But it doesn't matter. People enjoy it and they enjoy performing (and making money). Everyone wins.

Metallica, OTOH... Well, if you've seen the documentary, you know that they take themselves way too seriously. I like their music, it is pleasing to listen to. But they are a-holes of the first order. Trujillo seems to be the only sane one among them.
bennym
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 118
RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/18 23:11:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: info@tomflair.com

my personal opinion about metallica is that the drummer is an ****, the singer is a drunken redneck that cant sing (i remember very old concerts without autotune and i remember some concerts with autotune that cher could have sung), the new bassplayer looks like he is in the wrong band because he jumps around like metallica was a metal hiphop crossover-band and the only good album they ever made was "justice for all" and eventuylly those before - yet they were pretty primitive
now i now that there seem to be millions of metallica fans out there - yet i cant understand it - btw..bad taste is a very common thing and it wouldnt be statistically be very outstanding to have some million of people who just dont get it...
again FOR MY PERSONAL TASTE metallica is one of the most overrated bands ever - musically even megadeath kicks their butt....
if you like metal/trash metal there are /have been sooooo many better bands out there - metallica just are more likely to act commercially...to get publicity...

wow...overrated???ever been to a show? this is one of the most influential bands ever and will be worshipped for generations long after they are gone. say what you want, but i give em props for continuing to rock hard into middle age and thank them for influencing so much of my own playing. rock on metallica!!! (i think the album sounds killer...maybe people should listen to the music and focus less on the production quality). why not attack the artwork...oh, wrong forum! peace!
skullsession
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1765
RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/18 23:42:11 (permalink)
I've decided that I can only listen to Metallica songs from 11:00 AM through 4:00 PM - Monday through Friday.

And I'd like you all to not listen outside of those hours as well.

I don't want to feel like I missed something.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
zungle
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2745
RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/19 01:25:08 (permalink)
wow...overrated???ever been to a show? this is one of the most influential bands ever and will be worshipped for generations long after they are gone. say what you want, but i give em props for continuing to rock hard into middle age and thank them for influencing so much of my own playing. rock on metallica!!! (i think the album sounds killer...maybe people should listen to the music and focus less on the production quality). why not attack the artwork...oh, wrong forum! peace!

Amen!!!!!!
GMGM
RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/19 10:29:31 (permalink)
Original: BitFlipper
P.S. GMGM, I see you're in Omaha, my old hometown. Plattsmouth High School, class of '69.

Yep, I'm proud to say I'm born and raised in Omaha. I went to Central High, but the singer for my first real high school band graduated from Plattsmouth (this would have been around 1993). Small world. Ironically, he was Mormons - another religion known for door-to-door mission work (but they are much more polite). And to bring it almost full circle, our band was very much a metal band - closer to early Megadeth then we were Metallica. Back then, it was all about dynamics though (bring your quiet parts way down, so the big parts seemed bigger). I'm really glad that I grew out of this metal thing, but I still look back at the camaraderie we had back then. They were fun times.

I wonder how many other Nebraskans (or former Nebraskans) are on the forum. I figured I was the only (legit) user. In Omaha, you either own a studio and use Pro Tools HD, or you proudly use a cracked version of Cubase/FuirtyLoops/Acid alongside a vast collection of every other cracked plugin imaginable on a SB card.
skullsession
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1765
RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/19 10:46:49 (permalink)
I'm not from Nebraska....but Kansas. I used to frequently play a club in Kearny called THE FIRESIDE - if I remember correctly. And some other club - will never remember the name of the city or the club in Western Nebraska.

If yall ever want to see a desolate, skanky, cold and windy as hell winter.....check out Nebraska. Holy crap! If you ever want to see a 40+ BELOW ZERO windchill....good times.

On one of our trips, during a blizzard from hell, we kept hearing this CRAZY sound coming from what seemed to be under the back wheels of our van, and we really didn't have as much power as usual. The road was all ice...snow blowing horizontally....finally the sun came up and we stopped at a shop in a small town to see what was wrong with our van.

Turned out to not be the van....but the axle had frozen solid on our u-haul trailer and we were actually dragging it behind the van on the ice/snow. The sound we kept hearing was the tires on the trailer occasionally hitting pavement as we dragged it along. Sounded like our back wheels were gonna fall off.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/19 12:04:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: s_barber

ORIGINAL: tazman

Another casualty of the loudness war is Bruce Springsteen's latest album, "Magic". I used to be a Springsteen's fan, but this last album was absolutely unlistenable. I bought it and listened to it once. Som eof the songs may be great, but my ears can't stand it.

Same goes for Velvet Revolver's album (whatever the name was). JUst a mush of overdriven guitars and cymbals!!!

Well, I thought the EXACT same thing when I listened to "Magic". I bought it and was going to use it as a reference CD but there was no way when I mixed/mastered my CD. Listen HERE.

A friend of mine and I tried to listen to it again last weekend but alas....it still sounded the same. Espicially "Radio Nowhere". The first 4 or 5 songs sounded like everything was squashed into a can with reverb. Right again....I think the last couple songs were finally tame enough to enjoy. It really is a shame.

Steve,
"King George" is well mastered (to my ears) ... it rates much more dynamics variances than Metallica (IMHO), being more 'country' in genre.

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1