my american singing but im british

Author
nfg182
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
2008/09/16 17:33:20 (permalink)

my american singing but im british

was speaking to a producer the other day and he said i need to british my voice up abit more

story is...i have an american singing accent..its natural like im not putting it on which is confussing

but i think its because i grew up listening to american punk rock/pop rock bands

and it progressed from there

he said hes gonna help me out with it...but im worryied...if i british my voice up (try to anyway)...that ill lose my vocal qualitys

but anyway...anyone got any tips on how to do this?

i dont really have a set british accent (city wise) as ive moved around the world alot...but i do say the words bath,grass etc like from up north ha

btw abby roads was amazing to record in (went on a trip to the studio and recorded two tracks in studio 2) and got a tour amazing studio really worth going there the history and vibe is just great

anyway

thanks

24 Replies Related Threads

Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: my american singing but im british 2008/09/16 18:05:21 (permalink)
    LOL. It's so funny how Americans will sing with a fake British accent and the British will reciprocate.

Being an American who always loved British classic rock music, I always wanted a Brit for a front man. So along came one to audition and it only took a couple of songs to realize that it would severly limit the band.

Personally, I'd keep the American accent unless your only doing that techno Brit dance stuff.

It could be worse though... you could have an Aussie accent.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: my american singing but im british 2008/09/16 20:27:42 (permalink)
    Stevie Wonder was on tv doing a British accent the other day give him a call.. he'll give you some pointers..

"British accent" ? if only it was that easy

there are some tricky words even for some Brits as you mention.. I can't sing for toffee , but my speaking voice hasn't got any distinctive accent.

don't get me started on Joss Stone and her accent.. she did herself no favours

you might get an idea if you get a dialogue / vocal coach.. or perhaps listen more English bands and try to figure out the differences.

as for singing depends on how you normally sing, and of course the lyrics.. perhaps get someone English to sing them also, and you might notice the differences.

as for Abbey Road, another place which is a bit of land mark is BBC maida vale (just down the road)... the Beatles recorded this there >

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLxTpsIVzzo

broadcast to 26 countries live =)

post edited by Fog - 2008/09/16 20:34:18
    BluesMeister
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    RE: my american singing but im british 2008/09/17 00:52:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mod Bod

It could be worse though... you could have an Aussie accent.

Oh I don't know, two Kiwis were talking, one says to the other "What's a Hindu?" His mate replies, "Lays Iggs".
    (I can see you non-Aussies scratching your heads at that one...)

BluesMeister
    5 guitars, 1 amplifier, 3 pedals
    Asus P8P67LE, i7 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB HDD
    Win7 Home Premium 64-Bit SP-1
    Sonar 8.5.3 64-Bit, RME HDSPe AIO
    Spendor BC-1 Studio Monitors
    Jessie Sammler
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2111
    RE: my american singing but im british 2008/09/17 01:48:55 (permalink)
    I'd tell the producer to suck it. People sing how they sing, whatever the reason is. I guess it's up to you; do you want to want to follow someone else's formula for a hit record, or do you want to make your music the best and most honest way you know how?

don't get me started on Joss Stone and her accent.. she did herself no favours

Whatever Joss did is working for me. I love the way she sings.
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    RE: my american singing but im british 2008/09/17 03:38:01 (permalink)
    At least you're a genuine either or. There are so many non-native-english singers who try to use scottish, american, cockney or whatever accents to sound street credible. Usually it sounds pathetic.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Fog
    RE: my american singing but im british 2008/09/17 11:48:53 (permalink)
    Kalle , I guess it's an advantage if you can sing in 2 languages also.. big market..esp.. if say it's Spanish / French / English..

they were talking about how Abba sung on the radio a few weeks back, and how a few words weren't sounding as they should...but hey.. they still sold a lot of records

mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: my american singing but im british 2008/09/17 11:55:46 (permalink)
    Most Brit singers sing without an accent. Beatles. Stones. Just for example. The ones who sound distinctly Brit are exceptions: Clash, XTC. And, of course, some will argue that it is we Americans who have the accent

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    nfg182
    RE: my american singing but im british 2008/09/17 12:09:29 (permalink)
    thanks guys great advice...

its just confussed me thats all...because i like my singing voice (Sounds big headed but hey)...its just like a huge diffrence from my speaking (pretty damn english hah) to my american singing voice...but i think its the way i pronouce my words...ill have to talk to him and talk about it more i suppose...

but i know many welsh bands (that are famous) that sing like they are american i think its the welsh in me iswell haha...

thanks gain
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: my american singing but im british 2008/09/17 12:11:58 (permalink)
    nfg: sing the way YOU like. Your producer can take a hike

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: my american singing but im british 2008/09/17 13:57:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: nfg182

was speaking to a producer the other day and he said i need to british my voice up abit more

story is...i have an american singing accent..its natural like im not putting it on which is confussing

but i think its because i grew up listening to american punk rock/pop rock bands

and it progressed from there

he said hes gonna help me out with it...but im worryied...if i british my voice up (try to anyway)...that ill lose my vocal qualitys

but anyway...anyone got any tips on how to do this?

i dont really have a set british accent (city wise) as ive moved around the world alot...but i do say the words bath,grass etc like from up north ha

btw abby roads was amazing to record in (went on a trip to the studio and recorded two tracks in studio 2) and got a tour amazing studio really worth going there the history and vibe is just great

anyway

thanks

Ask Madona if she will trade you her fake brit accent for your fake yank accent LOL !!
    nfg182
    RE: my american singing but im british 2008/09/17 16:55:36 (permalink)
    haha but then ill have a womens voice..and ill get famous and adopt a kid and the press will know and that kid will be the press kid :O

the horror
    haha

post edited by nfg182 - 2008/09/17 17:04:11
    nfg182
    RE: my american singing but im british 2008/09/17 17:01:14 (permalink)
    my bad i replied twice
    post edited by nfg182 - 2008/09/17 17:03:58
    nfg182
    RE: my american singing but im british 2008/09/17 17:02:29 (permalink)
    my bad i replied twice
    mlockett
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2099
    RE: my american singing but im british 2008/09/17 17:44:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mcourter

Most Brit singers sing without an accent. Beatles.

Paul and John, but George often sounded very British. (I recently heard some commentator saying George was the first Brit to sound British.)

Then you have Bowie who seemed to exaggerate his British accent. During Gabriel era Genesis, like Supper's Ready, it's said they were trying to be very British due to rumors they were selling out to sound American.

The Who saying "What's for tea?" ... that's an expression you're not likely to hear in the US.
    post edited by mlockett - 2008/09/17 17:47:13
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: my american singing but im british 2008/09/17 18:23:18 (permalink)
    While this may seem a bit Amerocentric, I would stick with what ever accent you have naturally when you sing.

Personally, and I should point out I have no evidence for this, I think singing with "no accent" is perhaps the right way to sing. The accent you speak if is not actually American, its neutral - or what is called the "TV accent". Very few people in North America speak with the accent you hear on TV or the movies. Most of us speak with some hint of a regional accent (incl. Cali). Even British TV narrators and commentators are sounding more and more neutral.

The neutral accent makes lyrics and words easier to hear and understand by all English speakers. I am often amazed by how bad most of us English speakers actually speak... and there are some regional accents that are so thick that it no longer sounds like English - hideous to listen too - since when does a "TH" sound like "F", such as in with).

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Fog
    RE: my american singing but im british 2008/09/17 20:05:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ohhey
    Ask Madona if she will trade you her fake brit accent for your fake yank accent LOL !!

I'm glad it's someone from the US saying it.. It's funny though she's got some of it down, but it slips the odd time..

Stevie Wonder did a better fake-accent the other night.. but with him, you know it was for joke value.

Renée Zellweger the actress has had the most authentic accent, I didn't even know she was from the states till much later.

BluesMeister.. the best phrase is to use is "fish & chips" , notice the difference..

post edited by Fog - 2008/09/17 20:16:38
    BluesMeister
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    RE: my american singing but im british 2008/09/17 22:02:10 (permalink)
    Fush and Chups, yep, know all about that one! There's a great TV series called Flight Of The Conchords about a couple of Kiwi musos living in the US. You really should try to watch and/or get hold of the DVDs, it's classic! Or as they would say "Clissic".

BluesMeister
    5 guitars, 1 amplifier, 3 pedals
    Asus P8P67LE, i7 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB HDD
    Win7 Home Premium 64-Bit SP-1
    Sonar 8.5.3 64-Bit, RME HDSPe AIO
    Spendor BC-1 Studio Monitors
    Marah Mag
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: my american singing but im british 2008/09/17 22:25:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Fog

they were talking about how Abba sung on the radio a few weeks back, and how a few words weren't sounding as they should...but hey.. they still sold a lot of records

I always find that part of Abba's charm. Same when Shakira sings in English (though she's even better in Spanish.) I think there's something universalizing about subtle accent blends. It might sound a little off, and maybe sometimes even a little fake, but then what isn't?

Sometimes, re-shaping a vowel a little bit can make a note or a word just sound better. Accents are vowels, and vowels are formants and tones. They're to be played with.

To OP, if your producer is really trying to change your sound, then tell him to jump in the Thames. But if possible, what you might want to do is ask him questions to determine what he's really after... what's his goal... what's he hearing that he thinks could be better... and why would it be better? Is it possible that he's got something specific in mind, and isn't just trying to remake you? Of course, as a producer, he should be able to communicate both subtly and clearly.....

Recording in Abbey Road studio 2 must be something!!
    rob.pulman
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1146
    RE: my american singing but im british 2008/09/18 08:29:43 (permalink)
    I'm in exactly the same boat - unless I put on an accent I can't hold a tune in a bucket, really it's embarrassing. When my mates hear my songs they tell me to sing in my natural voice, but when I do that I just cannot sing a note, I appear to be tone deaf in that respect.

I'm Welsh and singing in my natural accent is OK if you're singing in a choir in Wales, (I love Welsh choirs by the way) but it doesn't help my rock and blues songs too much lol.

I was going to ask this question myself at some point but you beat me lol.

(maybe I should give Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey or The Stereophonics a ring for some advice)
    post edited by rob.pulman - 2008/09/18 08:31:14

Stoojo Music

Dell 2400, XP 1 Gig RAM, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, M-Audio 2496, PSR310, LP Custom, Fender Strat, Yam Acoustic, Peavey amps, Zodiac BXP bass
    Marah Mag
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: my american singing but im british 2008/09/18 13:19:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rob.pulman

(maybe I should give Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey or The Stereophonics a ring for some advice)

Don't forget John Cale.
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: my american singing but im british 2008/09/18 15:29:40 (permalink)
    'British' Accent eh?

Which one..?

Dick Gaughan..Scotland

Jake Thackray...England

Manic Street Preachers...Wales

Christy Moore...Ireland

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    RE: my american singing but im british 2008/09/18 15:49:41 (permalink)
    Tell your producer to F*** O**. And tell him in an incredibly posh tone.
    If you like your singing accent, he shouldn't tell you how to change it to make you more "home." And Yank/Brit (or reverse) is a heck of a straining change.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: my american singing but im british 2008/09/18 19:12:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Slugbaby

Tell your producer to F*** O**. And tell him in an incredibly posh tone.

You could be much more creative here.

Play something of Dick Van Dyke's soundtrack from Disneys 'Mary Poppins' and then say (preferably with a straight face)

Wart, loik thish guvvenoir? ....

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: my american singing but im british 2008/09/21 12:05:39 (permalink)

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1