Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe!

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
BluesMeister
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 581
RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/25 00:14:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: foxwolfen

It is interesting that this topic was explored by an New Zealand film (about to be remade) called "This Quiet Earth".

Neville Shute's 1957 book "On The Beach" and subsequent 1959 movie also explored this idea.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Beach_(novel)

BluesMeister
5 guitars, 1 amplifier, 3 pedals
Asus P8P67LE, i7 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB HDD
Win7 Home Premium 64-Bit SP-1
Sonar 8.5.3 64-Bit, RME HDSPe AIO
Spendor BC-1 Studio Monitors
Bristol_Jonesey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16775
RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/25 06:05:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Axiology

ORIGINAL: mcourter

But when scientist make up those ideas, they think it lends the concepts some kind of authenticity because they are "scientists." When, in fact, they too are just making stuff up to explain the inexplicable.
Mark

No, scientific idea's are supported by evidence. The scientific, rational approach is the only way we have of knowing anything with any degree of certainty.

+1000000000000

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
Lanceindastudio
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4604
RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/25 06:28:26 (permalink)
will never die and I would create new life out of my imagination and all would be merry yeah!

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
i7 3770k CPU
32 gigs RAM
Presonus AudioBox iTwo
Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
Presonus Eureka
Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/25 09:08:26 (permalink)
God explored this concept too... but decided later... "It is not good for man to be alone". Gen 2:18

The Stand was one of my favorite modern books.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
Spaceduck
Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2499
RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/25 11:19:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: BluesMeister

It is interesting that this topic was explored by an New Zealand film (about to be remade) called "This Quiet Earth".

Neville Shute's 1957 book "On The Beach" and subsequent 1959 movie also explored this idea.

I'll have to check out all these films I haven't heard about. I'm a sicko movie fan.

Another very philosophical one is Wim Wender's Until the End of the World. HIGHLY recommended. The characters, cut off from society by a nuclear blast, begin to delve into their own dreams, a metaphor for introspection and self-exploration, I guess. The problem is that they soon become "trapped within the labyrinth of their own souls" like drug addicts unable to function in the physical world, totally apathetic to their surroundings.

I'm convinced that that would be the fate of anyone completely cut off from external communication. Soul searching without a tether to the real world would get you lost in a jiffy. Madness would ensue. But I guess in a world without any other living souls, who's to define what "madness" is? Maybe getting lost in your own soul is a good thing, especially if the real world offers nothing but desolation.

Spaceduck music [HERE]
Spaceduck videos [HERE]
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/25 11:33:28 (permalink)
Maybe getting lost in your own soul is a good thing

Maybe, but who would make the cheese?

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
foxwolfen
  • Total Posts : 8256
RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/25 20:34:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Spaceduck

I'll have to check out all these films I haven't heard about. I'm a sicko movie fan.

Another very philosophical one is Wim Wender's Until the End of the World. HIGHLY recommended. The characters, cut off from society by a nuclear blast, begin to delve into their own dreams, a metaphor for introspection and self-exploration, I guess. The problem is that they soon become "trapped within the labyrinth of their own souls" like drug addicts unable to function in the physical world, totally apathetic to their surroundings.

I'm convinced that that would be the fate of anyone completely cut off from external communication. Soul searching without a tether to the real world would get you lost in a jiffy. Madness would ensue. But I guess in a world without any other living souls, who's to define what "madness" is? Maybe getting lost in your own soul is a good thing, especially if the real world offers nothing but desolation.

If you want to read something along the same lines, check out the short stories by Harlan Ellison. Particularly "I have no mouth yet I must scream".

Cheers
Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
foxwolfen
RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/25 20:37:18 (permalink)

I am not sure if I have read this or not. It sounds very familiar. I will indeed check it out.

Cheers
Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
RE: why do you make the music that you make! 2008/09/26 09:34:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DreamzCatcher

you don't have to say anything if you can't imagine the situation at the moment, take your time to think about it and share your thoughts...
perhaps this can tell you why do you make the music that you make, the real reasons behind your doings.

you don't have to say anything if you can't imagine the situation at the moment, take your time to think about it and share your thoughts...
perhaps this can tell you why do you make the music that you make, the real reasons behind your doings.

Dreamz has given us the real reason of her deleterious scenario. Motif!
It's a valid question, IMHO, perhaps the most valid.

I write music to communicate love to (1) God, (2) self, and (3) other creatures.

If I were alone, I'd focus on the 1st 2.

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
foxwolfen
RE: why do you make the music that you make! 2008/09/26 20:10:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Philip

ORIGINAL: DreamzCatcher

Dreamz has given us the real reason of her deleterious scenario. Motif!

Um.... you only got this now? You did read the post before you started replying, did you not?

This is not directed at you Philip, though it does raise a point, and that is the number of times I have had to correct people who fail to read a post clearly. Its disturbing.

Composers Forum
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
RE: why do you make the music that you make! 2008/09/26 22:46:00 (permalink)
Um.... you only got this now? You did read the post before you started replying, did you not?

Do you care DreamZ?

What I do get, is DreamZ's post is a doleful mayham; and you, Shad, seem to like casting dirt on a few of these threads (not just on me). Albeit, we all seem to cast dirt on each other at times (directly or indirectly), IMHO. And, DreamZ has not even responded to her own thread (from what I can tell).

So does it really matter what this post is about? Does she care? Should we? She starts a 'deep' conversation, then quickly walks out?!

"Alone in the universe" vs. "Why do you make music"?! Ouch! I don't get it, anymore; at all. What shifting ideas ... leaving this to become an unglorious troll-fest

Note my disclaimer ... a lot like yours. I don't want to be the first to cast stones. Nor do you. I know your music has to be excellent. But I need each other's friendship and feedback on all levels of genre and expertise.

OTOH, Coherence and logic are not my/our greatest virtues. And yet I still want to redeem this topic. Please forgive me/us (in advance) when wrong, stupid, innane, offensive, unthoughtful, etc. (... again, note the disclaimer).

'Hope this helps.

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
DreamzCatcher
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: why do you make the music that you make! 2008/09/27 10:39:10 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Philip
And, DreamZ has not even responded to her own thread

So does it really matter what this post is about? Does she care? Should we? She starts a 'deep' conversation, then quickly walks out?!

you are wrong, I read it all!
I was talking about this a lot with 2 of my friends for long time and it leads to many interesting directions, I don't want to interrupt or influence you, I want to read your honest point of view.

it is really interesting to see many point of views and you can learn a lot about yourself and the others from this.

"Don't forget to imagine."
Intel 965P-DS4 F5, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300@1.86GHz (x2), 2,096,620 KB RAM. Cubase SX 4, SoundForge 9.. Dynaudio Acoustics & Adam A7..
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1