Silence is NOT Golden

Author
philly
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 205
2008/09/18 03:19:01 (permalink)

Silence is NOT Golden

Firstly I would like to say Project5 is, pound for pound, the best pieace of music software (I have had alot over the years) I have owned.

Secondly, Of all the forums that I subscribe to (a lot) - this one is the freindliest/most helpful.

The main point of my post is to say 1. I've uninstalled P5, 2. I've Installed Ableton Live 7. 3. I'm not happy about having to go though another learning curve. 4. I'm upset with Cakewalk/Roland for not communicating with their customers.

CAKEWALK - I LOVE SPENDING MY HARD EARNED CASH ON MUSIC SOFTWARE - TALK TO ME!

There- I've said it - I feel a lot better now.

So long and thanks
Phil

15 Replies Related Threads

muso_price
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 496
    RE: Silence is NOT Golden 2008/09/18 09:50:35 (permalink)
    Firstly I would like to say Project5 is, pound for pound, the best pieace of music software (I have had alot over the years) I have owned.

Agree.

Secondly, Of all the forums that I subscribe to (a lot) - this one is the freindliest/most helpful.

Agree, they're quite a nice bunch in the other forum aswell.

The main point of my post is to say 1. I've uninstalled P5, 2.

Huh? Did it suddenly stop working?

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Silence is NOT Golden 2008/09/18 10:57:08 (permalink)
    Yea, I don't really get what is happening. Are you unhappy with P5 now and replacing it with live, or what?

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    muso_price
    RE: Silence is NOT Golden 2008/09/18 11:33:27 (permalink)
    Yea, I don't really get what is happening.

It's a where's P5 V3 thread in disguise

naughtyhill
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: Silence is NOT Golden 2008/09/18 15:58:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: philly

CAKEWALK - I LOVE SPENDING MY HARD EARNED CASH ON MUSIC SOFTWARE - TALK TO ME!

There- I've said it - I feel a lot better now.

So long and thanks
    Phil

You can spend your cash on the new P5.

I think they renamed it Sonar 8?

BremenCole
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Silence is NOT Golden 2008/09/18 16:18:37 (permalink)
    The total lack of communication is just another indicator that P5 is a dead (developmental wise) product.... pure and simple. Cakewalk communicates often to the forums of current products, P5 is of course not one of them. That being said, why uninstall it? I still use it for some things, and it works as good as ever :)

I would even go so far as to say I would buy it again (on one of their $49 sales) knowing it is forever what it is. It is a quick, solid and capable VSTi sequencer. Which is exactly what I need. I can understand why you moved on to another host. You want something that will be there as technology continues to develop over the next 10 years. You are right to do so..... but no need to "throw the baby out, with the bath water". I can see P5 having a place in my work flow as long as it is able to run on future hardware.

Just don't get X1 
    philly
    RE: Silence is NOT Golden 2008/09/18 16:27:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: muso_price

Huh? Did it suddenly stop working?

It works as well as it did when 2.5 came out - howerver my new multicore computer has moved on and I want to work with a host that makes use of the new technology.

P5 may or may not be developed further - if it is great, if not, well it was great once. What I don't understand is why Cakewalk say 'buy our product - it's great, we'll blog about it because we want to keep out customers informed of it's development' - then there's just silence for months on end. I personally think this policy of silence is bad for business - they'll lose customers. If Cakewalk had anounced that P5 is no longer to be developed because of whatever reason, I'd understand - I'd be in the market for a new host and I'd consider Sonar. But as things stand I don't want to give Cakewlk my money anymore.

philly
    RE: Silence is NOT Golden 2008/09/18 16:36:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: BremenCole

The total lack of communication is just another indicator that P5 is a dead (developmental wise) product.... pure and simple. Cakewalk communicates often to the forums of current products, P5 is of course not one of them. That being said, why uninstall it? I still use it for some things, and it works as good as ever :)

I would even go so far as to say I would buy it again (on one of their $49 sales) knowing it is forever what it is. It is a quick, solid and capable VSTi sequencer. Which is exactly what I need. I can understand why you moved on to another host. You want something that will be there as technology continues to develop over the next 10 years. You are right to do so..... but no need to "throw the baby out, with the bath water". I can see P5 having a place in my work flow as long as it is able to run on future hardware.

Well I was using it on a Macbook under bootcamp - It's a good time to stop using windows xp too. Live and all my vst's are multiplatform and I'm sure that when I get the hang of the differences I'll be able to work as quickly as i could in P5.
    Chrisma
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 585
    RE: Silence is NOT Golden 2008/09/18 17:02:05 (permalink)
    I'm using P5 more and more these days. Sonar 8 may just the be the new P5. Think about it the only thing P5 was weak in my opinion was in dealing with recorded audio and mixing/busing. Live and Fruityloops are pretty good in those areas I think. But P5 sequencing and arranging just works for me. Sonar as it stands can handle all your engineering task without a doubt so if you add Loop sequencing/arrangement and P5 style synth tracks then you really have a complete package and one product to support versus 2. Just a thought...

I'm thinking NaughtyHill is probaly right...at least I kinda hope so anyway. That would sorta explain the silence from Cakewalk.

We'll see next week!

T.
    Chrisma
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 585
    RE: Silence is NOT Golden 2008/09/18 17:10:50 (permalink)
    And another thought on the multicore issue:

Seems to me like it would make more since to add P5 features Sonar because it already supports multicore functionality.

muso_price
    RE: Silence is NOT Golden 2008/09/18 19:38:50 (permalink)
    It works as well as it did when 2.5 came out

Phew, I thought you'd found a bug in it.

DayDrumFour
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    RE: Silence is NOT Golden 2008/09/19 03:59:09 (permalink)
    For P5 to do ALL we want, the only response would be to add it's two exclusive features into the next Sonar.

I have authentic analog drum machine samples.
    syrath
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4075
    RE: Silence is NOT Golden 2008/09/19 05:17:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DayDrumFour

For P5 to do ALL we want, the only response would be to add it's two exclusive features into the next Sonar.

FWIW I would disagree, I would say there are more than 2 features from Project5 I would love to see in Sonar.
    DayDrumFour
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    RE: Silence is NOT Golden 2008/09/19 12:56:05 (permalink)
    Understood. You probably use certain features in Project5 that are not in Sonar. I only meant the way I use P5.

If Beatscape is anything like a Groove Matrix, or Cyclone2.0, or whetever in between, then Cakewalk's intentions seem clear.

I could be wrong. And for the record, I'm as P5 fanatical as anyone around here. Y'all know how I can get. -STILL better than Sonar HomeStudio6.

But judging from the partial screenshot of Beatscape in that magazine, awesome, but ...that's going to Sonar?

I have authentic analog drum machine samples.
    Brando
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2776
    RE: Silence is NOT Golden 2008/09/19 13:51:36 (permalink)
    I personally would prefer to see P5 evolve as a VSTi. And to be marketed more as a VSTi than as a DAW/host - Slim and trim, fast and light - focus on it's real strengths - the Arpeggiator, and the arranger/matrix. Kind of the FL Studio route but lighter -
    Building more of P5's functionality into SONAR is a mistake, IMO. The market is leaning towards lighter footprint/more solid audio - (Reaper). Building more fixed features into SONAR that not all users want is going to alienate some users.
    Giving them better stability, and a VSTi like P5 that is also available to non-SONAR users I think would give them the best of both worlds.
    Just my 2 cents.
    (FWIW - I used to use Orion Pro - and always wished that it could function as a VSTi. The developer eventually did make Orion a VSTI - but only the Platinum edition, which meant that you had to buy a lot of loops, sounds, presets, instruments, etc. SO I opted to move away from that particular software, even though there was lots to like about it.)
    post edited by Brando - 2008/09/19 14:17:47

Brando
    Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
    Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
    ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
    candlesayshi
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 694
    RE: Silence is NOT Golden 2008/09/19 13:52:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DayDrumFour

But judging from the partial screenshot of Beatscape in that magazine, awesome

Agree completely, and that's one of the reasons that SONAR 8 is going to become my first copy of SONAR. I don't know if it's going to make me as pleased as doing beats and rhythms in P5 as is though, but Beatscape is certainly sounding like it's everything I hoped it would be and more.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1