New song!! First Song! PLEASE OFFER FEEDBACK

Author
barry12349
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 143
2008/09/18 14:21:23 (permalink)

New song!! First Song! PLEASE OFFER FEEDBACK

OK GUYS,

With the help from all the guys in this forum I was able to put together something as a first song. This is all me a guitar, bass, keyboard, wav files and alot of patience. It is a starting point for me, but I would like to share it with you. Please tell me what you think, what it needs less of more of? It sucks, it doesn't whatever.

Thanks.
Barry

www.myspace.com/thelawoflargenumbers

"Sometimes your the bat, and sometimes your the ball"

26 Replies Related Threads

rob.pulman
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1146
    RE: New song!! First Song! PLEASE OFFER FEEDBACK 2008/09/18 14:57:50 (permalink)
    Very good that, you've got a good voice.

I seem to be getting more vocals on one channel than the other - are they panned at all? I'm not sure but did you use any reverb on the vocals too?

Stoojo Music

Dell 2400, XP 1 Gig RAM, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, M-Audio 2496, PSR310, LP Custom, Fender Strat, Yam Acoustic, Peavey amps, Zodiac BXP bass
    barry12349
    RE: New song!! First Song! PLEASE OFFER FEEDBACK 2008/09/18 15:04:13 (permalink)
    First off, thanks I appreciate the kind words..

I recorded the verse on the left side and recording the chorus on the right side..Sounds wacky? It is..I just don't know how to record in stereo..My USB interface has 2 ports...left and right. Evn if I push the "stereo" button on my USB interface it has the same result. Something I should get to at some point..haha Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Barry

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: New song!! First Song! PLEASE OFFER FEEDBACK 2008/09/18 16:12:27 (permalink)
    barry - I haven't had a chance to listen yet (I don't like to listen at work because of the crappy soundcard I have in my computer), but I wanted to chime in about recording stereo/mono and panning your vocals.

if your vocals are recording only on ONE side of a stereo track,then you are selecting the wrong input for your audio track's source. you should not be selecting a STEREO INPUT for a MONO SOURCE. A microphone is a mono source, so you need to select ONLY the channel that the mic is plugged into on your sound card. for example, you should have 3 choices on the input and they will look different on each soundcard, but one of them should be LEFT, one of them should be RIGHT and the last one is STEREO (both). if you're plugging into the left input, then obviously choose the LEFT input on the audio track input.

if you've already recorded your vocals on a stereo track (you can tell because it looks like the wave form is only on 1/2 of the track). then you can separate them without having to re-record them. highlight the track, then choose EDIT>BOUNCE TO TRACKS for your SOURCE choose TRACKS, for your DESTINATION choose NEW TRACK, for your TYPE (or whatever it's called - I'm doing this from memory) choose SPLIT MONO

click OK and it will separate the stere track into 2 mono tracks - one of them will be EMPTY. the overall vocal sound should typically be heard in the center of the mix (panning for width like from my other thread still has a net result of being in the center)

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: New song!! First Song! PLEASE OFFER FEEDBACK 2008/09/18 17:13:05 (permalink)
    Your first song? But it's pretty good. Good singing and playing. The one sided vocal is the only part I can call out, but Beagle wrote how to fix that with already-recorded tracks. The drums could be bigger for this type of music, but otherwise they sound good. Great first effort.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Malakidreams
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 894
    RE: New song!! First Song! PLEASE OFFER FEEDBACK 2008/09/18 17:29:40 (permalink)
    sounds great except for the one sided vocals. vocals and music sound good
    Nutty
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2056
    RE: New song!! First Song! PLEASE OFFER FEEDBACK 2008/09/18 19:15:00 (permalink)
    It is a good song. Good job Barry.

On my system I could only hear the vocals on the right side. The guitar (left side, distortion?) was overpowering all the other sounds, and especially your vocals. I could barely hear the vocals, but I could tell you have a nice voice. Just a little more balancing I think and it will be great.

I am totally amateur at this, but this is what I heard.

Annette

Nutty /Annette
    http://www.soundclick.com/atmmusic
    Using: Sonar 8 Studio; Band in a Box; PreSonus Firebox; M-Audio Axiom 25; Mics: Audio Technica ATM610, MXL 990/991; M-Audio Studiophile AV 30 Reference Speakers and many guitars
    barry12349
    RE: New song!! First Song! PLEASE OFFER FEEDBACK 2008/09/19 10:24:03 (permalink)
    Thanks for the suggestions guy/gals. I will go back in and try to fix what was brought to my attention.

Beags- Do you mean to select the inputs on the front of my USB inteface (attached link below) as there are only a left and right input or in MC4 soundcard? Sorry a little confused. There is a stereo/mono button on the front of my USB interface.

http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/quality,85/brand,zzounds/FastTrackPro_3qtr-3af7336421592a13591832cccbf6c962.jpg

Thanks.
    Barry

Beagle
    RE: New song!! First Song! PLEASE OFFER FEEDBACK 2008/09/19 11:17:46 (permalink)
    Barry - leave the stereo button on the m-audio usb card OFF, I'm talking about selecting only the left or right channel on the AUDIO track.

This is an old screen shot of when I used an SB Live, but don't worry about the details - just understand this is where I'm telling you to look for your LEFT or RIGHT INPUT to choose from. Yours should say something like "M-audio WDM LEFT" and "M-audio WDM RIGHT" and "M-audio WDM Stereo" or something similar there where the SB inputs are listed in this screen shot:

dave sitting at home
    • Total Posts : 103
    RE: New song!! First Song! PLEASE OFFER FEEDBACK 2008/09/20 23:19:08 (permalink)
    Could only listen on my laptop speakers, but sounded great, great vocals, this is your first??? Amazing!

P4 1.7GHz, 2.5G RAM, MC, Tascam US-224
    Yamaha PSR273, Microkorg, KP3, Kaossilator, Fender Acoustic, Behringer, MicroBR, Zoom, TC Helicon, Digitech, Blueman Group Keyboard, Farfisa, http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=564197
    barry12349
    RE: New song!! First Song! PLEASE OFFER FEEDBACK 2008/09/21 13:14:40 (permalink)
    Thanks Dave,

Appreciate the kind words. It is still a ongoing project as I learn more, I assume things will sounds cleaner. I learned everything up to this point from the great people in this forum. And alot of frustration.....

Peace.
    Barry

barry12349
    RE: New song!! First Song! PLEASE OFFER FEEDBACK 2008/09/21 13:17:16 (permalink)
    Beags,

Thanks Pal, the screen shot is thee best possible way of explaining things. And yes, I understand. Appreciate you taking the time, still haven't heard your take on the song? I am anxiuos to get your run down..

B

Beagle
    RE: New song!! First Song! PLEASE OFFER FEEDBACK 2008/09/21 14:33:29 (permalink)
    hey, Barry! Sorry I've been SUPER busy the last few days. I was running sound for a band Thur and Fri night and then Saturday was spent doing family things.

this is really good for your first recording/mixing! nice guitar playing and you've got a good voice!

ok - first - tell me how you recorded everything. was your guitar direct? thru a box? what mic and preamp did you use? remind me of your soundcard again, to. and how did you do the drums?

you already know how to fix the tracks to get them back to mono instead of one-sided stereo, my other critique is that everything sounds muddy, that's why I wanted to know about how you recorded everything, I can probably give you some tips on getting a better recording. or if you've already done a good job recording, you might have caused this sound by the way you mixed it, and I can give you some feedback on that as well if that's the case.

don't be discouraged, however, this is really good for a first attempt and like I said, you've obviously got the musical talent, we just need to try to work on your recording and mixing skills which takes a lot of time and experience to bring out.

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: New song!! First Song! PLEASE OFFER FEEDBACK 2008/09/21 15:16:43 (permalink)
    Good job on the tune.... I like the guitar tone.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    barry12349
    RE: New song!! First Song! PLEASE OFFER FEEDBACK 2008/09/21 15:36:23 (permalink)
    Thanks GH- Still in the works...

Beags-Hey no problem, family first of course...I have a 4 and 5 year old that keep me busy and try to slip in music from time to time. Thats great you passed on some positives to me about the writing/mixing..(still not at all happy how my vocals just don't seem to blend into the song as I wish they would)

The Gear-I will give you the run down again on my gear- M-Audio fast track pro USB interface-I play my guitar through a BOSS METAL ZONE-direct into the mentioned M-audio USB IF. My Mic is a Shure sm-58, although I am getting a new condenser mic tomorrow that is apprantly really nice. (APEX 415) has the cradle included..

The Drums- I use WAV files I download or get from friends..I import a small 2 second clip and just drag to extend to what length I want. I then mix up the parts with different beats trying to run every beats around the song feel.

As for mixing, what I did was when I was finished quickly mixing in Track view is..... I went to Console view and made sure all levels were just at the showing red portion (sorry I don't know the term used) adn tried to keep all levels the same. No idea is that is correct..Another question is ......What is the ideal level my instruments and vocals should reach..Should it show red at all. Should it always show red on the level meter?

I always welcome feedback from you, any and all...As for now I am trying just to get things recording in a correct fashion..

Thanks a million Beags.
    Barry

Beagle
    RE: New song!! First Song! PLEASE OFFER FEEDBACK 2008/09/21 17:59:11 (permalink)
    what about plugins? did you use any plugins and which ones and where?

57Gregy
    RE: New song!! First Song! PLEASE OFFER FEEDBACK 2008/09/21 19:25:41 (permalink)
    When I mix, I have my interface's output going to an external mixer. I crank up the mixer loud through headphones.
    In MC (SHS), I send all my audio tracks to a bus I named 'Master'. I lower the master to about 1/2.
    I then lower all my track levels, and start at one of the drum tracks, and raise it until it's audible (remember, my mixer is set high so I can hear it), but the output level is not too high, usually about the middle. That will be my reference volume. I raise the rest until they're mixed as I like. This keeps the cumulative volume at the master pretty low. When I have all the levels set, I lower the mixer volume a lot, and then I raise the master level until the loudest part of the song is tickling the red. I then back it off a smidge. Done.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.

Nutty
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2056
    RE: New song!! First Song! PLEASE OFFER FEEDBACK 2008/09/21 19:39:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: 57Gregy
    When I mix, I have my interface's output going to an external mixer. I crank up the mixer loud through headphones.

Greg,

Can you clarify for me because I have seen (and thought) that "interface" and "mixer" were the same beasts. I could be wrong and probably am. I have the PreSonus Firebox (interface?) which has mixer software that I never use. I'm just wandering exactly what the interface is here. Is this something I can do with my set up. I'm interested because I want to start mixing a song and that is one thing I was unsure of is how to set the levels (volume) of the tracks which you touch on in this post.

Thanks.

Annette

Nutty /Annette
    http://www.soundclick.com/atmmusic
    Using: Sonar 8 Studio; Band in a Box; PreSonus Firebox; M-Audio Axiom 25; Mics: Audio Technica ATM610, MXL 990/991; M-Audio Studiophile AV 30 Reference Speakers and many guitars
    57Gregy
    RE: New song!! First Song! PLEASE OFFER FEEDBACK 2008/09/21 20:05:10 (permalink)
    Okay.
    MC has a mixer, the console view.
    My audio interface, Focusrite Saffire, also has a thing which is a little like a mixer, but I only use it to select mono or stereo inputs and to turn on it's compressor and/or EQ.
    And I have an external mixer, a Yamaha 8-track with DSP effects. It's a traditional type mixer, and I have all my audio devices (Saffire, keyboard audio output, CD recorder) going through it to my headphones or stereo. I never touch any of the controls on the Yamaha mixer except it's master output and headphone level, and the effects knobs, all the levels are set in the MC console mixer.

Greg 

BOBK
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: New song!! First Song! PLEASE OFFER FEEDBACK 2008/09/22 23:58:27 (permalink)
    Good Tune. Catchy chorus line.

The mix reminds me of the days when my mixer was the box that came with the 4-Track reel-to-reel we were using. It had 4 "3 position" switches (L Middle R) for mixing.

Brings back memories.
    barry12349
    RE: New song!! First Song! PLEASE OFFER FEEDBACK 2008/09/25 20:00:20 (permalink)
    Beags,

Ok first off just pick up a new mic!!! Amazing! It is a Apex 435 condenser mic cradle included. I picked it up new for $66.99 at Long and Mcquade (Oshawa, ON Canada) and what a differance it makes! I was using a Shure SM58 and it isn't even comparable...I stand back it it literally picks up clear as day from 2 feet back if I wanted it to. I would strongly suggest anybody looking for a affordable mic to go this route. Although I live in Canada, I am sure you can find it online?

Second off, Switch to left and plugged in left and wall-la perfect mono vocals. I am very pleased, I am probably going to just re-record my vocals for the track that I offered up for review and try to learn along the way how to make things sound golden..For me this is exciting and another important piece to the puzzle..

To all a good night,
    Barry

barry12349
    RE: New song!! First Song! PLEASE OFFER FEEDBACK 2008/09/25 20:03:38 (permalink)
    Thanks Bob!

Still a work in progres..Yes, still raw in the mix. I like the in yer face sound and besides that I don;t know how to fix it yet! haha

Barry

Beagle
    RE: New song!! First Song! PLEASE OFFER FEEDBACK 2008/09/25 20:55:02 (permalink)
    Good deal! any condensor mic is going to make vocals sound better, usually. unless you're doing gutteral death metal stuff or something!

shifty geezer2
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: New song!! First Song! PLEASE OFFER FEEDBACK 2008/09/27 05:23:16 (permalink)
    Hi Barry,

I definitely rate this as a good first effort! How long have you spent on it? The sound's generally good, bar the points already mentioned. The guitar has plenty of meat and I'd love to have access to that sort of sound! Your voice is also good, when not being drowned out! You have a tendency to fade out the volume on some lines, like in the chorus, and the lyrics get lost. I liked the melody and structure, and the crescendo. Your bass could do with more interest instead of repeating notes. Especially in the crescendo, there's room for some very musical counterpoint. The idea for the tonal contrast with the vibraphone is right, but the sound was misplaced to me. It stood out, almost as an afterthought. I'd good looking for a different sound, perhaps a melow woodwind (flute, oboe?) and aim to be more lyrical in the playing.

Certain a great starting point, and you've clearly got a lot talent to be able to put out top-class music!
    barry12349
    RE: New song!! First Song! PLEASE OFFER FEEDBACK 2008/09/28 13:21:20 (permalink)
    Ok, just removed the prior version and just put up a newer revised version of the song. As mentioned you guys have been huge in helping me progress, I totally appreciate the community that is the forum. I would have given up ages ago without the guidance of you guys. So it's up. I have taken all your comments and tried to address those points...

Beags-Vocals are rerecorded and as you can see they are now MONO ;) hopefully they sound a ton better and alot more alive. The chorus I just split track and worked great.

Gregy-The mix... I followed your instructions but recently found out, THIS IS THE HARDEST PART OF THE SONG PROCESS! It will take time, I hope I can get crafty with it.

Nutty-Distortion guitar is down and vocals are up in the chorus to avoid being slightly drown out, I agree with your take on it. You can hear now they are on both speakers recorded in MONO.

Rob-They are now in both dude...

Shifty Geezer- Man, thats alot of points, The vocals are louder...haha Thats all I can do for that. After listening to your track, I can see why you made the suggestion for the flute..I thought your recording was great. But we are forsure on 2 sides of the spectrum for style. My guitar tone comes from a BOSS METAL ZONE pedal. it cost $100 new $50 at a pawn shop..It has more tomatoes than anything you'll find out there for the price.

Hopefully, you will find this version more appealing?
    Thanks..

Barry :)

BOBK
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: New song!! First Song! PLEASE OFFER FEEDBACK 2008/09/30 01:54:12 (permalink)
    1. Even after your changes, its still a good tune.

2. What is the missing part, that plays where there is only a lonely drum track now?

Piano? Bass?

...and thank-you for sharing your song, of course.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: New song!! First Song! PLEASE OFFER FEEDBACK 2008/09/30 08:48:47 (permalink)
    Nice improvement.... as I said before, this is a good tune... and the production is good. still like the guitar tone...

The condenser mic does make a difference.... I keep telling myself I'm gonna get one.... I use an SM58 also.... and the guy at the music store in his attempt to sell me one, said it would be like taking cotton out of my ears..... maybe I'll break down one of these days and spend the money.... knowing me, I'll take my SM58 and do a comparison in their pro recording room....I wanna hear the difference before I buy it...

anyway...good song...keep on working....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1