If P5 were discontinued ...

Author
DubGusset
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 32
2008/09/19 20:33:26 (permalink)

If P5 were discontinued ...

Now i'm not looking to start a war here but if P5 were discontinued, and i hope it won't be; i love it to death, wouldn't it be cool if Cakewalk released it into the public domain as an Open Source application?

I think of all the great apps that really took off after going O/S e.g. Blender, Firefox [Netscape] and now Eudora etc.

Just a thought.

Clive
post edited by DubGusset - 2008/09/20 06:13:51

29 Replies Related Threads

DayDrumFour
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    RE: If P5 is discontinued ... 2008/09/19 21:21:51 (permalink)
    Interesting idea.

If P5 was written using different code than Sonar, there shouldn't be any risk by putting it out there.

Wow I really sounded like I knew what I was talking about! Ha ha!

I have authentic analog drum machine samples.
    BremenCole
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: If P5 is discontinued ... 2008/09/19 22:13:03 (permalink)
    Open source? Never happen..... why give it away when you can sell it? Of course it is "discontinued" as you say, but they will never open source it..... They have already dropped the price to $99 and special promotions of $49...... I would think that $49 is as low as it would go. P5 should cost at least as much as the average video game.....

Honesty.... If the software you make music with is not worth the price of the average video game to you, then perhaps your music is not worth doing. All the talk of open source and "free" software is fine, but we value what we pay for. That is just human nature. P5 (even if already outdated) is (IMHO) a professional grade music creation tool. It is worth the price Cake is asking for it. No need to diminish it to just another open source app. There are plenty free music apps and VST instruments out there.....

Just don't get X1 
    DubGusset
    RE: If P5 is discontinued ... 2008/09/19 22:27:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: BremenCole

Open source? Never happen..... why give it away when you can sell it? Of course it is "discontinued" as you say, but they will never open source it..... They have already dropped the price to $99 and special promotions of $49...... I would think that $49 is as low as it would go. P5 should cost at least as much as the average video game.....

Honesty.... If the software you make music with is not worth the price of the average video game to you, then perhaps your music is not worth doing. All the talk of open source and "free" software is fine, but we value what we pay for. That is just human nature. P5 (even if already outdated) is (IMHO) a professional grade music creation tool. It is worth the price Cake is asking for it. No need to diminish it to just another open source app. There are plenty free music apps and VST instruments out there.....

By saying discontinued, i mean the application would no longer be developed or supported. That's all. The point of open sourcing P5 would be to continue development, not to give it away. It would breathe new life into the application.

Clive
    candlesayshi
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 694
    RE: If P5 is discontinued ... 2008/09/19 23:20:25 (permalink)
    Hmmm... I don't know.

If that were to happen. I think I'd be afraid of what an open-source community would do to Project5. I feel like it'd be a disaster of features over direction. Because everyone would rise up and say, "I want this added!" and every gets tacked on ad nauseum until P5 is a chaotic mess. I'd rather P5 remains as is than to see it ruined by poor vision.

I think there'd be a lot less adding to Project5's code, than taking away from Project5's code for other things, as well.

What Cakewalk has on its side in this equation is creative programmers. Which seem to me to be a rare thing in the scope of the programming... um... community (for lack of a better word). For example, I feel that Rene Ceballos is a good example of the value of a creative programmer, rather than just a good programmer. Also, it seems to me that Cakewalk is very selective in that process to achieve that kind of ethic.

Now, if Cakewalk were to do something like sell P5 to someone like Native Instruments with the tagline, "You know. I see your making a lot of great synths over there. Wouldn't be cool if you had a streamlined and well-designed host that can both compose and perform with that you can sell to host all those great synths and effects and make even more money! It already has a loyal user base as well!" I wouldn't exactly be opposed, but I'd definitely feel a little weird about it. Then, of course it'd be called Native Instruments Projekt, and we'd all have a good chuckle, but I'd rather see that happen to P5 than to see it go open-source, and I'd probably still use it.

Meh. I don't even know what I'm talking about right now actually. More like a rant innit? I'm tired.

DubGusset
    RE: If P5 is discontinued ... 2008/09/19 23:32:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: candlesayshi

Hmmm... I don't know.

If that were to happen. I think I'd be afraid of what an open-source community would do to Project5. I feel like it'd be a disaster of features over direction. Because everyone would rise up and say, "I want this added!" and every gets tacked on ad nauseum until P5 is a chaotic mess. I'd rather P5 remains as is than to see it ruined by poor vision.

I understand your concerns but i think the previously mentioned O/S applications prove that a project can be contributed to by many volunteers yet still retain focus and not become a 'chaotic mess'.

Clive
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: If P5 is discontinued ... 2008/09/20 00:21:54 (permalink)
    If they don't update it I'm going to off myself. Here that Cake, it will be on your heads. So hurry up, goshdarnit!

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    muso_price
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 496
    RE: If P5 is discontinued ... 2008/09/20 04:51:12 (permalink)
    I feel like it'd be a disaster of features over direction. Because everyone would rise up and say, "I want this added!" and every gets tacked on ad nauseum

What you mean a bit like SONAR is becoming

Bertsoup
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: If P5 were discontinued ... 2008/09/20 15:10:25 (permalink)
    I hope they don't, I've just bought it! (downloading as I type this)

BremenCole
    RE: If P5 were discontinued ... 2008/09/20 18:43:03 (permalink)
    Welcome Bertsoup! You are in for a treat! In just a few short hours you will find the power hidden behind the simplicity of P5.

While it is not under current development, P5 is still a great value. If you use mainly VSTi's to make your tunes, then IMHO it is the best there is. For me it would be perfect if they would simply add mult-core support, but it is not to be
    post edited by BremenCole - 2008/09/20 18:46:48

Just don't get X1 
    rabeach
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2703
    RE: If P5 were discontinued ... 2008/09/20 20:18:36 (permalink)
    While it is not under current development....

please provide source for this statement...

Cakewalk is a traditional African American form of music and dance, which originated among slaves in the Southern United States.

for me it all comes down to likely hood what is more probable as an out come for project 5;

project 6 maybe <g> :)

some probable contenders are:

1. project 5 will be updated
    2. project 5 will be converted to vsti and offered with sonar 9

very unlikely probability

1. open source
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: If P5 were discontinued ... 2008/09/21 08:51:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rabeach

While it is not under current development....

please provide source for this statement...

It was sourced from something closer-to-home and less accurate than dinosaur poop
    puffer
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 836
    RE: If P5 were discontinued ... 2008/09/21 10:34:30 (permalink)
    I think it's an interesting question if we can keep the responses non-hysterical and non-inflammatory.

I agree, first off, that open-source is highly unlikely to happen. While the original P5 was (apparently, reputedly) completely different code than Sonar and it's family (GT, HS and the ilk), over the years, and I imagine especially for the 2.5 update, a lot of the Cakewalk team has had a hand in upgrading and tinkering on our beloved P5. Likewise, Cake has at its disposal a lot of technology it can use for it's other applications. Plus, Roland has some very, very strong sequencing/production tools in its arsenal for their products. (So, I won't get into a whole merits-of-open-source debate, other than to say, all those applications you mention have huge cross-user appeal, whereas P5 is a music-sequencing application in a very crowded field; organizing a development team and tracking builds would probably not produce stable, on-going development.)

But what are we, the users, going to do if P5 is discontinued?

I could live with the non-dual core thing if other things that annoy me could be addressed.

digitallofi.bandcamp.com
    dredd i knight
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: If P5 were discontinued ... 2008/09/21 17:07:22 (permalink)
    i have a feeling that cake are redeveloping P5 with Roland into a soft/hardware workstation, or with a midi drum pad like padkontrol etc which will be tightly intergrated into the software so no need to program it.
    a software upgrade will be available, with the option to get the hardware at a cheap price.
    it will support multicore processors, and will expand its matrix to have the versatility of abletons session view.
    i think they are writing it from the ground up, and want to take some mpc/ workstation/ drumpad market.
    then i woke up and it was all a dream!
    but i do hope this is why they're keeping such a tight lid on p5 news; surely if it was no longer in developement they'd have the courtesy to tell us about it?

AMD 64+, Windows XP SP2, Edirol FA66, Beringer Truth monitors, 2*Technics 1200's, Pioneer 909 dj mixer, Sonar 7, Stylus RMX, Guru, Dimension Pro, Rapture, P5v2.5, Trilogy, Battery 3, Atmosphere, Ableton live 5
    techead
    RE: If P5 were discontinued ... 2008/09/21 19:30:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dredd i knight

surely if it was no longer in developement they'd have the courtesy to tell us about it?

Quite the opposite...actually. Officials at Cakewalk have had the courtesy to tell us that there is a forthcoming version 3. But there are those who blame long silences from Cakewalk between breaths on a non-flagship product for their own doubt, inpatience, and addiction to annual updates and they speak often of their affliction and addiction here.
    BremenCole
    RE: If P5 were discontinued ... 2008/09/21 19:40:34 (permalink)
    I know you can't be serious, so funny stuff! Yeah, P5-3 is just around the corner! LOL.....

Sad thing is there are some who actually believe it, even though there are threads from a year ago with the same people making the same claims..... Denial is a strange beast.....

Good news is P5 is working good as ever here, and being used often.....

Just don't get X1 
    techead
    RE: If P5 were discontinued ... 2008/09/21 20:08:20 (permalink)

I know you can't be serious, so funny stuff! Yeah, P5-3 is just around the corner! LOL.....

Sad thing is there are some who actually believe it, even though there are threads from a year ago with the same people making the same claims..... Denial is a strange beast.....

Good news is P5 is working good as ever here, and being used often.....

You saw right through me...I can't fool you.
    DayDrumFour
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    RE: If P5 were discontinued ... 2008/09/21 20:43:07 (permalink)
    i have a feeling that cake are redeveloping P5 with Roland into a soft/hardware workstation, or with a midi drum pad like padkontrol etc which will be tightly intergrated into the software so no need to program it.
    a software upgrade will be available, with the option to get the hardware at a cheap price.
    it will support multicore processors, and will expand its matrix to have the versatility of abletons session view.
    i think they are writing it from the ground up, and want to take some mpc/ workstation/ drumpad market.
    then i woke up and it was all a dream!
    but i do hope this is why they're keeping such a tight lid on p5 news; surely if it was no longer in developement they'd have the courtesy to tell us about it?

I have authentic analog drum machine samples.
    :10:
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3678
    RE: If P5 were discontinued ... 2008/09/22 12:34:46 (permalink)
    If V3 never comes out,...how is anyone gong to make new music........ yikes!

BremenCole
    RE: If P5 were discontinued ... 2008/09/22 16:10:58 (permalink)
    @:10 ..... You are talented so you could make good music on Pro Audio 9 on a 486.....

I know your statement was "tongue in cheek", but many do seem to think that the host is what separates a "pro" from the amateur.... Project 5 is a great tool, but so is FL Studio, Cubase, Sonar, Reaper, Podium, Temper, XT2, Acid, Samp, Pro Tools and all the others I can't think of right now. Heck, a MPC 1000 in the hands of someone with skills can be the best there is. I sometimes think that I really should not have sold my QY70....often the limitations bring out our best....

Just don't get X1 
    DubGusset
    RE: If P5 were discontinued ... 2008/09/22 18:34:25 (permalink)
    Agreed. A good sequencer does not a good musician make.

Also, so now that Sonar 8 details have been released with no P5 integration, i'd just like to go on record and say P5 Version 3 is just around the corner, better yet, spring 2009.

Clive
    post edited by DubGusset - 2008/09/22 18:38:20
    SteepLearningCurve
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 281
    RE: If P5 were discontinued ... 2008/09/23 00:48:56 (permalink)
    I just watched the Cakewalk 20th Anniversary video on YouTube tonight. There was a segment in which Cake employees were asked what their favorite Cakewalk application was. Not one of them mentioned P5. There were even some that said PYRO or Guitar Tracks. I couldn't believe it.

http://www.soundclick.com/steeplearningcurveexperiment

http://www.soundclick.com/franklintaggart
    pwal
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2909
    RE: If P5 were discontinued ... 2008/09/23 06:15:13 (permalink)
    at the end of the sound on sound news item on sonar 8 it says, "Keep your eyes on the SOS news pages for some even more exciting Cakewalk news in the coming weeks!" - must be p5.3 eh? eh?

list of stuff
    wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: If P5 were discontinued ... 2008/09/23 08:20:03 (permalink)

if one considers what has happened with energyXT v 2 and Tracktion after the Mackie takeover

there are worse things that could happen to P5 than abandonware

but more exciting news coming from Cakewalk
    let's see they're overdue on P5 promised update and they had a super synth that came within a gnat's eyelash of making it to a show before its appearance was cancelled and Rene hasn't been heard from since

my guess would be
    D) none of the above

Bertsoup
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: If P5 were discontinued ... 2008/09/24 08:49:32 (permalink)

Welcome Bertsoup! You are in for a treat! In just a few short hours you will find the power hidden behind the simplicity of P5.

While it is not under current development, P5 is still a great value. If you use mainly VSTi's to make your tunes, then IMHO it is the best there is. For me it would be perfect if they would simply add mult-core support, but it is not to be

Thanks,

I’m having fun with it already.

I’m not too concerned personally about upgrades etc, I’m about 10 years behind anyway. It wasn’t so long ago I was using Modplug, Skale and stuff like that. I think a lot of the time people worry more about the software than they do about the music they create. If you find a program you love stick with it
    Russell.Whaley
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2755
    RE: If P5 were discontinued ... 2008/09/25 10:54:41 (permalink)
    I hereby propose that we petition Cakewalk to rename Project5 "Project Angst" so that anyone who is troubled by its unsung role in the Cakewalk software lineup can see their personal unease reflected in corporate expression.

Carry on.

pwal
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2909
    RE: If P5 were discontinued ... 2008/09/25 10:58:31 (permalink)

list of stuff
    strom32
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: If P5 were discontinued ... 2008/09/26 03:35:16 (permalink)
    You could power a small city with all the mental energy that has gone into speculation about P5
    agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: If P5 were discontinued ... 2008/09/26 12:57:26 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: strom32

You could power a small city with all the mental energy that has gone into speculation about P5

That's no city... it's a space station!

Malevol3nt
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: If P5 were discontinued ... 2008/09/27 11:58:50 (permalink)
    Open source? Well on one hand cakewalk would most probably never agree to it, at least not for another few years. But on the other hand it would be a great opportunity to port the software over to linux aswell as continue development on it by the community. If cakewalk has no plans on continuing development but decides to release the source - huge respect if that were to ever happen (the 2nd part I mean )
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1